< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Any good outdoor shooting ranges in or around omaha?  (Read 6768 times)

Offline husker3in4

• Forum Member
Any good outdoor shooting ranges in or around omaha?
« on: January 09, 2015, 02:14:48 PM »
There is the Bullet Hole and a new one in bellevue that are indoors. Its just not that fun shooting a paper target. Im looking for an outdoor range where I can shoot something different with my 9mm or .40 handgun. Any suggestions?

Offline mott555

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Any good outdoor shooting ranges in or around omaha?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 02:34:37 PM »
Eastern Nebraska Gun Club.

http://engc.us/

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 02:35:03 PM »
There is the Bullet Hole and a new one in bellevue that are indoors. Its just not that fun shooting a paper target. Im looking for an outdoor range where I can shoot something different with my 9mm or .40 handgun. Any suggestions?

Eastern Nebraska Gun Club which is a couple miles east of Louisville, NE  http://engc.us/ 

Wahoo, Ne gun club, which I know nothing about.  http://wahoogunclub.weebly.com/terms--rules.html

There's one in Council Bluffs somewhere too.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 03:18:09 PM »
Weeping Water Gun Club:  http://www.weepingwatergunclub.com/

Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 06:04:06 PM »
The Council Bluffs Rifle & Pistol Club has an outdoor range about 5 miles east of Crescent. Their web site is www.cbr-pc.org.

Offline husker3in4

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 08:30:55 AM »
Thanks for the info guys. the Eastern NE gun club is the most local to me, however the membership dues are pretty steep.

I guess I will just need to find a friend with a farm and shoot there :)

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 02:20:02 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. the Eastern NE gun club is the most local to me, however the membership dues are pretty steep.

If you think about it, for a range with 7 pistol bays, a trap range, a 100-yard range, a 300-meter range, and a 600-yard range, that is open every day from sunrise to sunset--$10 a month isn't much of a fee.....

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2015, 08:41:21 PM »

If you think about it, for a range with 7 pistol bays, a trap range, a 100-yard range, a 300-meter range, and a 600-yard range, that is open every day from sunrise to sunset--$10 a month isn't much of a fee.....

The first year is a bit more with the other fees. But your right 10 bucks a month is well worth it.  That is one range visit to any indoor range.

Questions about the pistol bays. Are people lowed to draw from holsters ms practice "dynamically"? For example ineligible targets possibly with movement involved rapid fire all that stuff? I'm really getting bored at shooting at paper....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2015, 07:37:21 PM »
Questions about the pistol bays. Are people lowed to draw from holsters ms practice "dynamically"? For example ineligible targets possibly with movement involved rapid fire all that stuff? I'm really getting bored at shooting at paper....

Well, you can only use full-auto guns on bays 5 and 6.  But other than that, for the most part, as long as

1) the rounds all go into the berm,
2) you shoot in a safe fashion, (no 180 breaks, no sweeping yourself or others, etc)
3) you clean up after yourself (target/stand materials, brass, trash), 
4) you don't use exploding targets (no, no Tannerite) or targets made of glass, and
5) you don't shoot any of the club materials, props, or equipment (yes, you have to bring your own targets and target stands)....

...then you are good to go.

Among other things, people practice USPSA and Multigun shooting on the pistol bays.  Given the fast-shooting, run-and-gun, multiple-targets-including-steel aspects of that---chances are what you have in mind will be good to go.  (Drawing from concealment is also allowed.)

As for the first year---yeah, the additional startup fee (or whatever they are calling it) isn't fun.  But if you think about it---it really means that for the first year, you are just paying $20 a month.

That's STILL really only one trip per month to an indoor range.  (Take Aim is $22 per hour, and you have to buy their targets.  Bullet Hole is "only" $16 for an hour of shooting, but you also have to buy their targets.)  So---still pretty much a deal, comparatively, if a person is actually going to shoot regularly.

If you "only" go once every two months for 2-3 hours of range time to ENGC, you are _still_ paying less for that first year of ENGC than you are for time at either one of those two indoor ranges.  And you can DO more varied (and useful) practice.

So---yeah, I much prefer ENGC.  (Yes, even outdoor in this weather.)  I personally don't particularly like shooting at public indoor ranges.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2015, 09:03:11 PM »

Well, you can only use full-auto guns on bays 5 and 6.  But other than that, for the most part, as long as

1) the rounds all go into the berm,
2) you shoot in a safe fashion, (no 180 breaks, no sweeping yourself or others, etc)
3) you clean up after yourself (target/stand materials, brass, trash), 
4) you don't use exploding targets (no, no Tannerite) or targets made of glass, and
5) you don't shoot any of the club materials, props, or equipment (yes, you have to bring your own targets and target stands)....

...then you are good to go.

Among other things, people practice USPSA and Multigun shooting on the pistol bays.  Given the fast-shooting, run-and-gun, multiple-targets-including-steel aspects of that---chances are what you have in mind will be good to go.  (Drawing from concealment is also allowed.)

As for the first year---yeah, the additional startup fee (or whatever they are calling it) isn't fun.  But if you think about it---it really means that for the first year, you are just paying $20 a month.

That's STILL really only one trip per month to an indoor range.  (Take Aim is $22 per hour, and you have to buy their targets.  Bullet Hole is "only" $16 for an hour of shooting, but you also have to buy their targets.)  So---still pretty much a deal, comparatively, if a person is actually going to shoot regularly.

If you "only" go once every two months for 2-3 hours of range time to ENGC, you are _still_ paying less for that first year of ENGC than you are for time at either one of those two indoor ranges.  And you can DO more varied (and useful) practice.

So---yeah, I much prefer ENGC.  (Yes, even outdoor in this weather.)  I personally don't particularly like shooting at public indoor ranges.

Thanks Jt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline husker3in4

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2015, 04:33:19 PM »
Thanks for the information guys. Its not that its not a good deal comparatively, its that I have one handgun that I may shoot every couple of months. It would be different if I had several rifles & handguns to choose from.

Indoor ranges are just.. not fun. So, when I go there its pretty much just to make sure the gun still works as intended.

Anyone know if the Platte River St park range allows 9mm?

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2015, 02:00:45 AM »
Plus, some of us just happen to live really close by.
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2015, 08:12:35 AM »
Anyone know if the Platte River St park range allows 9mm?
From the site it appears they are limited to .22.

http://outdoornebraska.ne.gov/OHEC/
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2015, 09:08:18 AM »
You could always come and try the steel challenge match this Sunday

Offline oscar231

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2015, 02:01:10 PM »
Here is one by Lincoln - looks pretty good
http://lincolnikes.com/memberinfo.php

Lincoln Izaak Walton League
 10801 South 134th St
 Bennet, NE 68317
 (402)474-6555

Offline thirtydaZe

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2015, 08:02:35 PM »
I like the sounds of this place the more i keep looking at it, however as a member are you really required to attend thoes meetings?

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2015, 10:56:32 PM »
I like the sounds of this place the more i keep looking at it, however as a member are you really required to attend thoes meetings?

Which range are you speaking of?  ENGC?

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline thirtydaZe

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2015, 07:51:07 PM »
Yeah, ENGC.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2015, 08:28:15 PM »
Yeah, ENGC.

I'm not a member, but I highly doubt you are required to attend.  There are probably over 2K members.  They wouldn't have a place large enough to hold all of them.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2015, 05:27:42 AM »
I'm not a member, but I highly doubt you are required to attend.  There are probably over 2K members.  They wouldn't have a place large enough to hold all of them.

Correct.  The only time you are required to attend is for the meeting where you join the club.

http://engc.us