< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Lincoln Izaak Walton Black Rifle Challenge (year 2)  (Read 5350 times)

Offline bjochum1

• Forum Member
Lincoln Izaak Walton Black Rifle Challenge (year 2)
« on: February 25, 2015, 11:40:48 AM »
Shooters,

After much back-and-forth, we have locked down the dates for the 2015 Black Rifle Challenge and the course of fire.  I've attached the document with the specifics on both.  This event is a great opportunity to get out and shoot your multiple "modern military rifles".  The intent of this event from Mike Kunkee and myself is to provide a shooting opportunity and educate new shooters on marksmanship, range etiquette, and the joy of organized shooting.  We hope to see you come out with positive attitudes and meet some fellow marksmen.

The course is set up to start basic, with clinics on the positions, and then shoot the first course on the 100 yard range.  This will provide foundation of fundamentals without the long-distance challenge.  The following month we'll head out to the 300 yard range.

The Dates are April 26th, May 24th, June 14th, July 25th (saturday), August 30th, & September 27th.

Please spread the word.  I'll post a poster style document with all the rules later.
See you in April!
Ben Jochum
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 09:02:16 PM by bjochum1 »

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
Re: Lincoln Izaak Walton Black Rifle Challenge (year 2)
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 03:46:44 PM »
Iron sights?  Scopes?  Are there different divisions?  Equipment requirements and such?  (Other than one of those dangerous, dangerous scary black rifles?)

What is the difference between benchrest and prone supported?  Using a chair?  I'm not meaning to be a problem, I really don't know.  No bipods/bags in prone supported, but both bipods and sandbags for benchrest?

I'm a complete newbie at rifle shooting competitions in which you don't run.  :)

...dang it.  I'm not going to be able to make several of these (due to other competitions), but I've been wanting to try one, so I'm hoping I can come down for at least one this year...
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline bjochum1

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 09:22:50 PM »
Good questions, jth.  I'll try to answer them in quick order:
All sights & set-ups welcome - scores will be grouped into division so you can compare yourself with other "tactical" shooters rather than a heavy-barreled massive scoped varmit AR.  The divisions are Rifle (Tactical or Target) and Sights (Scoped, Iron, Low-power EO-Tech type sights

Equipment is minimal - you'll want a spotting scope and a prone mat.  Last year we had great volunteers who helped with spotting and zeroing.  No heavy NRA/ISSF canvas or leather shooting jackets or padded gloves.

Benchrest is just that - like you're sighting in for deer season with sandbags or off a bi-pod.
Prone Supported is the same equipment as Bench, just from your belly
Prone Unsupported is on your belly without any slings or bags or pods (the secret is to bring your 30-round magazine and prop up your rifle with it - that is the military "unsupported")

Sorry about not running in this event.  Feel free to sprint down to the targets to score them - I'll follow in the golf cart.  Our hope of this event is to get people out shooting and then hope they feed into any of the sanctioned leagues from Action Shooting to CMP/NRA 3-Position.  I'm also happy if we get some shooters who just want to sight in their AR for a prairie dog hunt.

Hope you can make it!

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 10:09:51 AM »
Good questions, jth.  I'll try to answer them in quick order:
All sights & set-ups welcome - scores will be grouped into division so you can compare yourself with other "tactical" shooters rather than a heavy-barreled massive scoped varmit AR.  The divisions are Rifle (Tactical or Target) and Sights (Scoped, Iron, Low-power EO-Tech type sights

Would we have time/space to shoot two rifles?  Looking at this makes me want to try two different ones, in two different divisions...  :)

Equipment is minimal - you'll want a spotting scope and a prone mat.  Last year we had great volunteers who helped with spotting and zeroing.  No heavy NRA/ISSF canvas or leather shooting jackets or padded gloves.

Benchrest is just that - like you're sighting in for deer season with sandbags or off a bi-pod.
Prone Supported is the same equipment as Bench, just from your belly
Prone Unsupported is on your belly without any slings or bags or pods (the secret is to bring your 30-round magazine and prop up your rifle with it - that is the military "unsupported")

Ah.  Just what I needed to know.  Thank you!

Sorry about not running in this event.  Feel free to sprint down to the targets to score them - I'll follow in the golf cart.

If I have to jog to the targets to reset each, we are in for a long day.  :)

I think it is really cool that we have all different types of shooting competitions available---that way everyone has something they can try.  Competitions (including basic fun shoot events) are a great way to try something new, get a new challenge, and hang around with people who love shooting just like you do. 

Thanks for running this, and getting more types of shooting out there for people to try!

Our hope of this event is to get people out shooting and then hope they feed into any of the sanctioned leagues from Action Shooting to CMP/NRA 3-Position.  I'm also happy if we get some shooters who just want to sight in their AR for a prairie dog hunt.

Hope you can make it!

I can't make the ones on April 19th, June 14th, or August 30th --matches in other places during those weekends--but I'm hoping to make May 24th and July 25th.

Ug.  I don't get to start with a match maxing out at 100 yards.  Well, everyone can watch me miss a lot.  Won't be the first time!  :)

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 10:19:35 AM »
One last question:  .223 only?  Or .308 also? 

(Don't look at me funny, I just bought a AR in .308!  :) )

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 11:26:17 AM »
is this something where we need to compete in each of the dates or is this more of a come to any you like?
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline bjochum1

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 11:42:04 AM »
One last question:  .223 only?  Or .308 also? 

(Don't look at me funny, I just bought a AR in .308!  :) )

Any caliber - check the range to make sure you bring the right rifle for the distance. Last year we had a shooter learn on the fly that 300 Blackout isn't meant for 300 yards.

Offline bjochum1

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 11:47:20 AM »
is this something where we need to compete in each of the dates or is this more of a come to any you like?

It is a a come when you can event.  The courses do build on each - we shoot the same course of fire in May what we shot in April, just at the 200 & 300 yards. 

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 01:11:06 PM »
Any caliber - check the range to make sure you bring the right rifle for the distance. Last year we had a shooter learn on the fly that 300 Blackout isn't meant for 300 yards.

Oh, come on!  Just because the trajectory looks like a rainbow at that distance doesn't mean it can't work perfectly well as long as they are using lightweight supersonic ammo.

:)

(Sub-sonic, on the other hand....not so much.)

Offline Torino

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 05:29:08 PM »
What is the price? Is a mag change required like the April shoot last year?

Offline bjochum1

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 07:43:29 PM »
Here is the match bulletin that has all the rules and such.

Offline bjochum1

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 07:45:19 PM »
What is the price? Is a mag change required like the April shoot last year?
$10 is the price again this year.  No magazine change required this year - it seemed like an unnecessary safety risk

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2015, 08:06:49 PM »
Cool, hopefully I can make it to more than one match this year.  My Grendel needs a workout.

Offline bjochum1

• Forum Member
Target Change
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2015, 09:01:11 AM »
Not that it matters that much, but I've changed the targets we'll be shooting at from the NRA SR 3 & 2 to the NRA MR 31 & NRA 63.  This won't matter to most of us, but some people will whine if given the chance.

It was proving difficult to purchase the SR 3.  The sizes of the black is the same, just there are more scoring rings within it.

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2015, 11:18:14 AM »
Looks like the only one I would be able to make is July. My employment disagrees with shooting on Sundays :(
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2015, 08:14:39 PM »
This sounds like fun.  You're making me think of buying one of these evil black rifles :laugh:

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2015, 08:40:00 PM »
This sounds like fun.  You're making me think of buying one of these evil black rifles :laugh:
There are more than enough available if you'ld like to borrow one to shoot I'm sure.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline Torino

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2015, 04:37:50 PM »
Has the date been changed to the 26? The Ikes website has it as that date.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2015, 06:36:53 PM »
Go off of the Ikes sight. Ben doesn't spend time on the forum.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2015, 06:39:08 PM »
Shoot me a message. You can barrow the hot pink AR that my sister has yet to shoot if you want to get in on these. [emoji12]

But really if you are interested let me know. If he goes he spare rifles to shoot if. You provide the ammo.
This sounds like fun.  You're making me think of buying one of these evil black rifles [emoji23]