< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Carry with a herniated disc  (Read 5911 times)

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
Carry with a herniated disc
« on: April 04, 2015, 07:51:26 PM »
So ... today at the breakfast meet & eat, I figured I'd try carrying again.

That didn't work out so well.

I've got a herniated L5 S1 (very low) disc towards the right side.  I'm right handed.  I currently carry via a crossbreed IWB that I *adore* (see other posts on me reforming kydex for it etc).

Anyway, that extra 3 pounds on that side of my hip just really smarts after a couple hours and I've still not recovered from the 3.5 hours of carry this morning.

I happen to carry a Sig P229 in 40s&w which is on the larger side (not quite as big as a GI 45acp, but is fater, carries 14 rounds, etc).

I'm looking for some suggestions.

• Position gun in the middle of the back ?
  • Weak hand gun placement?
  • Shoulder holster?
  • Other?

I dunno if the 'middle of the back' would really work.  I'm in an office chair 6-10hrs a day.

Weak hand: is learning to draw with your weak hand really an "all the time normal" "thing" ?

Weak hand placement with cross draw: I am not a fan, but thoughts ? If this is a possibility, is anyone willing to give me a 5min "this is how to do it safely" ?

Shoulder holster: again, not a fan of the whole 'cross draw' scenario - but this seems like it might be the most friendly to my back.  I already wear hawaiian / flanel shirts all the time anyway so it can stay concealed.  Any thoughts on safety ?  Anyone willing to give me 5min of "dont do this you moron" ? :D  Also - any one got a preference on a rig ?

Other: I'll entertain and honestly consider other options. Surgery is not one of them.  Nor is pain killers.

edit: clarified carry duration this morning etc
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 08:08:35 PM by unfy »
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline Dave1215

• Lead Benefactor
Re: Carry with a herniated disc
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 07:54:52 PM »
Pocket carry?

When I don't IWB carry my SW Shield 9mm I pocket carry a Ruger LC9s-Pro...  Very comfortable.

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 07:55:19 PM »
"Other: I'll entertain and honestly consider other options. Surgery is not one of them.  Nor is pain killers."

My wife is using some ointment that is based on Bee venom for her foot, she says it works wonders.  I'll try and get you the name.

As for carry, given any thought to ankle?  Gonna have to get a mouse gun, but hey its a reson to go gun shopping and thats a good thing!

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 08:07:35 PM »
Never considered pocket / ankle / leg carry.  It would move the pressure off the spine, for sure. edit: assuming it's not tugging on the belt to pull that side of the hip down

It would be somewhat interesting to just open leg carry heh. 

As a joke: Gotta re-buy a 10ga side by side, get the tax stamp, cut it down to 6" and have that on my thigh :P  (yes, i was gonna do that with the one that got stolen).

Anyway - for the bee venom / foot thing - a topical treatment wouldn't do me much good.  I don't think.  It might, I dunno.  Basically - without the firearm I am fine throughout the day.  I gym every other day and have no problems doing 270lb x 10 x 6 leg presses and 20min of breast stroke swimming each session.

2 hours of carry ? Agony begins.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 08:10:09 PM by unfy »
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline Dave1215

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 08:22:08 PM »
Never considered pocket / ankle / leg carry.
2 hours of carry ? Agony begins.

I can pocket carry the Ruger LC9s-Pro in front pocket with a Desantis Nemesis holster and almost forget I have it....very comfortable.

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 08:25:55 PM »
I've used shoulder carry (Glock 17) as well as pocket and ankle (PF9).  All fairly comfortable and reasonably easy to access.  Pocket carry is dependent on cut and depth of pant pockets in my case.  I have some that I just can't get the gun out of easily.  FWIW.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2015, 08:28:53 PM »
Have you considered Off Body carry? Like in a Wilderness Safepacker? I use one to carry into work every day, as I can't wear it on my hip and work on vehicles without causing great damage to my self and the car
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2015, 09:06:54 PM »
* Following *
(I have been having problems with my right shoulder- hurts like the dickens to do much with it, especially a proper drawing motion.  I have been pondering carrying weak side and training to become proficient - ish with that, at least until things heal up.  )
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2015, 09:12:23 PM »
 I got the same thing, I still had 1 crutch at the breakfast this morning, to help with the weight, how about a pair of suspenders? I would think that would relieve some of the pressure
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2015, 09:54:51 PM »
I have been pondering carrying weak side and training to become proficient - ish with that, at least until things heal up.  )

unfy/Bull:

Just for giggles, last year I tried left hand/left eye (Absolutely Non-Dominant Side) shooting.

As a Creature of Intense Habit, wuz amazed how well I could shoot using this lefty method.

Still doing right/dominant hand these days, but if my recent carpal tunnel attack doesn't go away shortly, might just have to switch.

And you just might try it for yourself.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2015, 10:01:27 PM »
I REALLY appreciate all of the thoughts and ideas guys. It does mean alot to me.  Thank you (and thank you in advance for more thoughts that will surely get posted heh).

Moving to a smaller firearm is something that I dunno if I'd be comfortable with.  I chose my carry weapon very carefully based on what my perceived level of comfort and needs were.  Not gonna start a caliber war, but I won't carry a 9mm.  A smaller weapon in 40/45/357/etc - maybe.  Would be the joy of learning how a new-to-me weapon acts (particularly adjusting to the new recoil and sight picture).

Pocket carry I'm a bit unsure of.  Sure, the weight of the firearm is somewhat buffered by friction of the pocket against shirt/undies/skin ... but the weight is still hanging off the belt area of the pants.  Kinda like having a lot of change.  Which would make it not too different than any belt-based rig.  In particular, an IWB setup where the leverage will be similar.

NE Bull: weak side carry would mean a new holster, just a heads up.  Can't just spin your belt around heh.  It's something that makes me quite nervous though.  I dunno if I've ever really put effort into trying a two handed weak hand.  Single weak hand I'll practice just cause, but not two handed.  I learned a new keyboard layout (Qwerty -> Colemak) in about 3 weeks.  Wonder how long it'd take to learn to weak hand a weapon.

Is your problem just joint stuff, or musculature ?

Dan: off body.  I do have something of a fanny pack like thing.  It's not really a fanny pack, but it's... kinda ?  Anyhoo, it's got an concealed area for a firearm.  I had bought it for use here at work when a coworker and I would do for walks.  Change into shorts + wear that thing.

It's.... somewhere.  I'll have to dig around and see if I can find it and take pics.

These days, the Wilderness Safepacker would just be mistaken for as a phone protector  >:D

abbafandr: any particular things ya did to note shoulder carry safety stuff ?  Sure, I can watch myself draw in the mirror and try to figure out how to properly do it to keep the muzzle in a 'safe-ish' direction at all/most times etc - but that's far different than someone simply showing you once or twice with pointers on what to be conscious of.

I've talked to someone else that shoulder carried for a long time and they mentioned that you do start to dip to that side etc.  I wonder if I'd be trading my current problem for another one down the road ?

shooter: Suspenders!

Haven't worn them in 30 years.  But they might help more evenly distribute the weight, especially if they're cross suspenders or something like that.  I'll step into a walmart tonight and see what they have etc.

I don't mean to go on any kind of offensive rant.  And this isn't directed at anyone.  It's maybe.... just some insight.

For anyone who hasn't had back / disc pain: what used to be comfortable, or ya wouldn't give a second thought to, or is as simple as 'breathing' - back/disc/nerve pain makes you re-learn EVERYTHING in your life. 

For me, it took a few months to learn how to simply stand up "correctly".  I have a swivel office chair here at work.  I sit in the corner of an L shaped desk.  To leave, I have to "go" to my right.  How would most people and I normally get up, push off with their left leg to spin the chair a bit and reach out with their right leg.  Plant their right food and push out of the chair with their arms while spinning their torso / hips to bring their left leg in front of them.

Just a normal way of getting up from a swivel chair if you have to turn to the right.

It took me forever to learn to just fully turn in the chair, and stand up "straight" with both feet pointing directly in front of me.  No twisting motion at all.  Stand up fine and all is great.  Deliberate movements.

With the twisting motion that any normal person would do ? I get several "pops" and I stumble as my left foot hits the ground due to the acute pain. 

I carry loose change in my left pocket and keys in right to try to balance the weight of my pants.

When leaning forward on something (such as the tables at the cafe), I'll try to push my shoulders back in to rotate / bring my chest up.  This way the curve of the lower back is not humped but rather concave compared to my shoulder blades.

Leaning forward / down 4 inches while standing to flush the toilet can be an adventure some mornings.  Similarly, using toilet paper where ya just gotta twist a bit or maybe lift just one leg a bit is fun acrobatics if your back is mad at you that day.

This is NOT meant to sound derogatory: Kinda like how young children don't understand why grandpa can't run or jump etc. 

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2015, 10:27:06 PM »
I started having lower back pain from carrying strong side, I started carrying cross draw ( I know it's frowned upon ), this helped a lot. About a year ago I bought a personal tens unit and started to use it on lower back, problem solved, I can carry strong side again.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2015, 10:54:21 PM »
I have a tens unit.  They are awesome.  Sadly, mine doesn't have the I/F mode, but it's still great.  $70 shipped from here in the States ?  Should have paid the $90-$120 for the one with I/F mode.  Whatever.

Getting the 4 pads placed into the small of your back when you're single can be difficult though :( .... and it doesn't help for the immediate pain unless ya leave pads on ya and battery power it throughout the day heh.

I had to pace around around outside near the end of the breakfast to try to alleviate back probs.

Carrying cross draw seems like it'd cause the pelvis to tilt in the opposite direction, which would be of benefit to me, I think (see also: McKenzie Method and dictating which area to pinch and which area to flex - hint, pinch the direction that hurts. counter intuitive but it works).

Maybe I'll try looking like a doofus one day at home or at work and just have the loaded weapon on that side tucked between belt loops to see how it feels for an extended time.

Still gotta check out suspenders tonight.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2015, 11:31:00 PM »
Ok.  It was a fanny pack ._.

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2015, 11:33:26 PM »
This might be a little radical for most people but I've kicked around the idea of getting a Teeter Hangups inversion machine. They are supposed to relieve pressure on discs in the back. They are kinda expensive, last time I was at Dick's Sporting Goods they had them. Some of the reviews I read about them, some said using one caused them knee problems, kinda why I am not sure about getting one.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2015, 11:36:37 PM »
Wishing you the best.  That sounds bad.  Mine flares up occasionally and totally went out twice, but I finally figured out what works for it: Naproxin. Lots of it. I take six a day for a few days and it fixes it somehow, probably 'cause of the anti-inflammatory attributes. Doc says if it works then keep doing it.

I have known some people for whom surgery actually worked.
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline farmerbob

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2015, 11:37:25 PM »
The best of luck unfy, I hope it works works for you.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2015, 12:02:43 AM »
This might be a little radical for most people but I've kicked around the idea of getting a Teeter Hangups inversion machine. They are supposed to relieve pressure on discs in the back. They are kinda expensive, last time I was at Dick's Sporting Goods they had them. Some of the reviews I read about them, some said using one caused them knee problems, kinda why I am not sure about getting one.

If I try to do a decline bench press

My back hurts as soon as I lay down.

If I attempt to do a decline sit up:

My back kills me as soon as I lay down.

That kind of stretching motion / negative pressure just murders me.  So no - an inversion machine is not for me.

Yet ... this thing I can do (but don't anymore just in case it wasn't helping):

Granted, I grabbed the lower handle bars to get more of a lower back stretch / knees into chest.

Or, leaning over a table with legs dangling loose (therefore stretching the lower back a bit) - I can also do (but don't anymore).

Any kind of inversion ? Torture device.  And yes, it was one of the first things I thought of after the injury a couple years ago LOL.

Naproxen Sodium - I debated going that route.  Or steady ibuprofen.  Or popping the ketoprofen I currently have.

Buuuttt ------ if I don't carry my weapon - and still do the gym every other day etc - I take a single advil maybe once every 2 weeks.  I simply don't "hurt" like when carrying.

I've been doing my best to NOT pop a ketoprofen today heh.

It's just that little bit of uneven weight of the weapon on that side of hip that is hateful.  Anyway, time to go to walmart to look at suspenders and then hit the gym to try to beat some sense into the body heh.

Offline greg58

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2015, 07:18:12 AM »
I used to wear suspenders when I did house framing work. They were wide and helped disperse the weight of my leather tool belt.
Stylish too!!
I have seen similar wide suspenders at Menards, or a farm store that sells work clothes.
Good luck, Greg58
Pants Up!  Don't Loot!

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2015, 07:59:12 AM »
I had surgery to repair a herniated disc about 7-8 years ago.   For a long time after that I couldn't bear to have any pressure on my belt line.  I found a S&W J-frame in a belly band, carried in the appendix position, worked for me.  I still have nerve damage, but I've recoverd to the point where I can now carry in a more conventional 3:00 position.