< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: OMAHA: You'll Be Safe Here During a Crisis  (Read 1582 times)

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
OMAHA: You'll Be Safe Here During a Crisis
« on: April 15, 2015, 08:54:36 PM »
Here's Why:

==================================================
Sec. 8-85. - Restriction of activities.

Whenever a state of emergency has been declared as provided for herein, the mayor is hereby authorized to take one or more of the following specified measures throughout the city or any part thereof:

(a)

Prohibit or limit the number of persons who may gather or congregate upon the public highways or public sidewalks, or in any outdoor place, except persons who are awaiting transportation, engaging in recreational activities at a usual and customary place, or peaceably entering or leaving buildings.

(b)

Establish a curfew limiting the hours when persons may go upon or travel the public streets.

(c)

Require the closing of cocktail lounges, taverns and bars and prohibit the sale or service of alcoholic beverages in any hotel, restaurant, club or other establishment, and require the closing of all other business establishments.

(d)

Prohibit or restrict the sale of gasoline or other inflammable liquids.

(e)

Prohibit the sale, carrying or possession on the public street or public sidewalks, or in any public park or square, of weapons including, but not limited to, firearms, bows and arrows, air rifles, slingshots, knives, razors or missiles of any kind.

(f)

To do any and all things and take such measures as are necessary to preserve the health, safety, and property of the citizens of this community.

(Code 1980, § 8-85)
===================================================

It's all for our safety.   Just like New Orleans after Katrina.
I'll bet our Omaha law is tougher than Lincoln's.

(I'm Not Even Gonna Sign This One)
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
Re: OMAHA: You'll Be Safe Here During a Crisis
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 10:48:11 PM »

Glad I don't live in Obamaha, for various reasons...

http://nebraskafirearms.org/forum/index.php/topic,7267.0.html
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 08:00:56 AM »
What?!  No missiles?

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 08:11:47 AM »
So.....  I wonder if LB289 would apply to this also, Especially since the Governor can't disarm folks in a state of Emergency, I wouldn't think a Mayor should be able to do so.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 12:24:54 PM »
So.....  I wonder if LB289 would apply to this also, Especially since the Governor can't disarm folks in a state of Emergency

You're getting directly to the point I was hoping to make by posting this item.

It would be a good thing to have this particular item adjudicated in advance, since once the crisis starts, the oppression kinda automatically kicks in and follows with all the energy that officialdom can muster.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 01:35:29 PM »
So.....  I wonder if LB289 would apply to this also, Especially since the Governor can't disarm folks in a state of Emergency, I wouldn't think a Mayor should be able to do so.

Yes it would. If LB289 is signed into law Omaha would need to scribble out point E) above.

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 03:24:32 PM »
So in Omaha you have a right to be armed, but only until you're in a situation where you are likely to need to be armed to defend yourself, and then you lose the right.  That makes perfect sense.  To a liberal anyway.

In Mexico even today the government can't protect its citizens, but it can make them unable to protect themselves.  Who would want a situation like that in America?  I guess we have the answer.

That law is an illegal infringement on the 2nd Amendment, and any government entity that tries to impose it is for all intents and purposes a criminal gang, and as such has no legal authority.  It has power, just like any criminal gang has power, but it has no legal authority. 

I see the list doesn't include Molotov cocktails, so maybe field expedient liquid fuel lamps are still ok.  Until you throw them anyway, because I suppose then they become missiles.
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 08:43:57 PM »
The ordinance mentions firearms and other weapons in public but not in your home. Contrast that with New Orleans where police went house to house confiscating firearms.

The ordinance applies to everyone's long guns and to handguns belonging to those without CHPs. How about handguns possessed by CHP holders? Does state pre-emption nullify the ordinance the way it does for registration? That would be another reason to get a CHP even if you don't plan to carry.

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2015, 09:24:56 PM »
 Im glad I don't live in a city
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2015, 03:43:46 PM »
The ordinance mentions firearms and other weapons in public but not in your home. Contrast that with New Orleans where police went house to house confiscating firearms.

The ordinance applies to everyone's long guns and to handguns belonging to those without CHPs. How about handguns possessed by CHP holders? Does state pre-emption nullify the ordinance the way it does for registration? That would be another reason to get a CHP even if you don't plan to carry.
Doesn't the government usually demand/force you to leave your home in many emergencies... and remove you from it if you refuse?