< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Conceled carrying to NE question  (Read 5435 times)

Offline midwestbound?

• Forum Member
Conceled carrying to NE question
« on: June 12, 2015, 08:00:18 AM »
Good Morning all, I live way down here in MS and with any luck will be traveling to your fair state for a couple of job interviews. MS has reciprocity with 32 states, but unfortunately NE is not one. Based on what I've read here and on the State Patrol's website I came up with this plan, please share your thoughts and advice. I will travel as I normally do, concealed, all the way to NE but once there since there is no reciprocity I can OC and be legal. PLEASE note I'm only wanting to discuss the legal issue, not touch off a CC vs. OC debate (it's a touchy subject down here). My main concern is if I'm stopped by police. You have a duty to inform, but I don't have reciprocity so then should I have the weapon in plain sight or could I leave it in the holster but with no cover garment and present my ccw permit and inform the officer.  The thought of having my 1911 sprawled out on the passenger seat as a LEO approaches doesn't sit well. I contacted the state patrols attorney and he recommended carrying it empty with ammo separate and all locked in the trunk.  So what would you guys do? You know the climate of the law enforcement community up there better than me. Are the majority good ole boys that won't harass me, or do they tend to lean more to the "I'm the law no one shall be armed but me" school of thought? I have many more questions but as to not muddy the waters I will save those for separate threads.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Conceled carrying to NE question
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 02:17:01 PM »
Depends upon where you are going, the City of Omaha requires their open carry or a concealed carry permit recognized by the State to open carry.  The City of Lincoln does not have an ordinance against it but if the police get a call they will ticket someone for making a public disturbance.  Some communities such as Blair have ordinances against the open carry of firearms.

As you can see there is a wide disparity in how open carry is viewed across the state and any discussion would need to be directed at exactly where you would be.

Offline mott555

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 03:08:54 PM »
Open carry is not uniform in this state, best to look up the laws for the city you'll be visiting. Open carry in Omaha is a no-no (unless you have a CCW accepted by the state), I know that much.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 04:31:50 PM »
Dear Good Ol' Rebel Guy:

If you bring your handgun into Omaha from Mississippi without concealed carry reciprocity and any LEO finds out that you did so, you will be violating Omaha's municipal handgun registration ordinance.   Even if you carry it openly.   Even if it's locked in the trunk of your automobile, unloaded, and in a locked case with the ammunition stored separately.   And you will NOT be protected by the interstate firearms transportation provisions of 18 USC 926a.

The handgun will be confiscated permanently (that's forever) and you'll be issued a ticket which carries a penalty of up to 6 months in that fenced in resort out by the airport and up to $500 in fines.   Then if you still do get a job offer in Nebraska, you'll have a misdemeanor firearms violation on your record which will prevent receiving a Nebraska concealed handgun permit for ten (10) years.

If you open carry in Omaha, you will need a Handgun Identification Card (Omaha Open Carry Permit), which requires a full day handgun class and a certain period of time thereafter for the card to come to you in the mail.   Also, your handgun will need to be first registered with the Omaha Police Department station at 15th and Howard Streets.

Now.........that's just Omaha.   Every other little burg in Nebraska has some kind of obscure anti-handgun regulation that's designed to...............GETCHA!!!!   For example, in Lincoln you can't leave your handgun in your automobile, including locked trunk, for more than 24 hours.  How's about THEM apples!

IF you enjoyed Mississippi-Nebraska concealed carry reciprocity, then none of the above preamble would apply.   But you don't.   So it all does.

Breaks my heart to say so, but my recommendation to you is to leave your handgun at home.  Think:  Illinois.

Hope it works out for you.

BTW:  War Dam' Eagle

sfg

« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 05:36:32 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 07:39:14 PM »
Although he probably doesn't have time for the paperwork before coming to Omaha, would a non-resident permit (Utah, Florida, etc.) solve his problem?

If he does move to Nebraska, he will have to wait 6 months and pass a Nebraska training class before applying for a Nebraska permit. Until he receives his Nebraska permit, he will not be able to carry concealed legally and will be subject to all the local restrictions SemperFiGuy described.

Iowa will honor his Mississippi permit. If he chooses to live there (across the river from Omaha), he will be able to carry in Iowa on his Mississippi permit while his Iowa application is being processed. I haven't been able to determine if Iowa has a waiting period like Nebraska. Nebraska honors Iowa permits (and vice-versa.)

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 10:20:19 PM »
Although he probably doesn't have time for the paperwork before coming to Omaha, would a non-resident permit (Utah, Florida, etc.) solve his problem?

A Utah or Florida permit would work nicely.  (Some states honor these permits only for actual residents.   AFAIK, Nebraska honors Utah and Florida permits for all current holders, both residents and non-residents of both those states.)

Once, back before New Mexico honored Nebraska permits I used my Florida permit to carry concealed on a trip to Albuquerque.   And I did check directly with the NM authorities in ABQ about this situation as soon as I got into town.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 07:25:21 AM »
Does anyone know why Nebraska doesn't honor MS permits?  Maybe NFOA could ask the state to look into it and it's something that could be fixed.  Just a thought.
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 11:08:52 AM »
Does anyone know why Nebraska doesn't honor MS permits?

Yeah.....    Kinda odd.

MS is OK w/honoring NE permits, but not vice-versa.

Could be:

>Some kinda technicality or glitch-incompatibility in comparing the training requirements, or

>NSP just hasn't gotten around to it yet, or

>Some Auburn Guy @ NSP has a grudge about previous football game butt-kickings by Ole Miss,

Whatever.

Hope they fix it.

sfg

Offline japatzke

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2015, 12:47:33 PM »

Yeah.....    Kinda odd.

Could be:

>Some Auburn Guy @ NSP has a grudge about previous football game butt-kickings by Ole Miss,

Whatever.

Hope they fix it.

sfg

HA!!!!! Any good Auburn fan knows THAT doesn't happen!  Well, at least no often enough to hold a grudge about ;)

Oh, and WAR EAGLE!!!!!!!!

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2015, 04:10:11 PM »
Long Way from the Loveliest Village on the Plains.

War Dam Eagle.

And I hope that gentleman from MS who started this inquiry (a) gets a good job offer in Nebraska, (b) gets his NE CHP, (c) becomes an active NFOA Forum member, and (d) becomes a hard-core, died-in-the-wool Happy Husker Fan just like all the rest of us.

sfg

Offline barmandr

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2015, 05:22:13 PM »

War Dam Eagle.

And I hope that gentleman from MS who started this inquiry (d) becomes a hard-core, died-in-the-wool Happy Husker Fan just like all the rest of us.

sfg

Speak for yourself...I'm a Happy Husker Hater.

Offline midwestbound?

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2015, 02:24:58 PM »
Well, now that I have cleaned my shorts out... :o I guess I will give Omaha the widest possible birth. I mean come on with those laws. I stayed on a military installation for four months (legally) with my firearm without that much regulation and hassle.

Depends upon where you are going, the City of Omaha requires their open carry or a concealed carry permit recognized by the State to open carry.  The City of Lincoln does not have an ordinance against it but if the police get a call they will ticket someone for making a public disturbance.  Some communities such as Blair have ordinances against the open carry of firearms.

As you can see there is a wide disparity in how open carry is viewed across the state and any discussion would need to be directed at exactly where you would be.

Both applications are in Lincoln, I could phone interview, but that is not my preferred method.

Yeah.....    Kinda odd.

Could be:

>Some kinda technicality or glitch-incompatibility in comparing the training requirements, or

>NSP just hasn't gotten around to it yet, or

Whatever.

Hope they fix it.

sfg

As far as the issue of reciprocity I believe it is the levels of issuance not being equal.  MS has a two tiered permit, the basic where you just pay your fee and get fingerprinted, then the enhanced which requires the training and range portion. It allows you to carry just about everywhere except federal property or an active courtroom. When it was clarified that OC was a constitutional right, everyone threw up signs. Then the AG released an opinion that city law can't restrict a state law, and that the signs would not carry the weight of the law. A business owner can ask you to leave and if you refuse you could be charged with trespassing, that's it.  My philosophy has always been that I don't check my constitutional rights at a state line. That's why I won't consider CA, IL or the northeast for employment opportunities.

War Dam Eagle.

And I hope that gentleman from MS who started this inquiry (a) gets a good job offer in Nebraska, (b) gets his NE CHP, (c) becomes an active NFOA Forum member, and (d) becomes a hard-core, died-in-the-wool Happy Husker Fan just like all the rest of us.

sfg

a) Thank You b) I will for sure. I have the MS and TX before that c) of course, I'm active and exercise daily, my 2nd AMD right that is. d) Huskers? hmm, are they in the SEC East?

The job announcements close today and interviews are normally two weeks or so afterwards :(

Thanks for your replies guys!! The amount of restrictions, and how the cities are able to just do their own thing is very concerning. I suppose the best thing to do is what  SemperFiGuy suggested and leave my firearms at home and just hope that the one time I need them won't be on that trip.  Lincoln should be safe though with all the gun laws right?  ::) This is surprising, for whatever reason I thought the Midwest would be more accepting of firearms and personal freedom. I mean it sounds like you get harassed even if your a resident with a permit. I have a wife and three small kids, and she asks me routinely if I'm carrying, because it gives her peace of mind. I would hate to move to a place where my response would have to be  "no, Big Brother won't let me". I'm sorry I know I'm preaching to the choir here though. So I know you guys might be a little biased but in your opinion what are the most gun friendly states/cities up that way as well as in NE? Cause it sounds like if I do move there, Omaha is to be avoided like the plague! If I have developed a wrong impression or misunderstood please correct me please.   

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2015, 04:20:17 PM »
MB, many of us actually live n the suburbs and adjoining communities where we are not subject to the laws of Omaha until we enter city limits. The majority of communities here are gun-friendly unlike the two biggest cities in the state.

Once you have your CCP many of the issues with Omaha's laws go away.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2015, 05:10:09 PM »
Omaha is to be avoided like the plague..........

Yes.   But only until you obtain your NE CHP, or a Florida or Utah permit which will be honored in NE. 

Omaha's MuniCodes on handguns are really onerous.   To Sum Up:

Omaha Open Carry:
Must complete a classroom/range qualification day-long training session and then apply for something called--strangely enough--a Handgun Identification Card [Omaha Open Carry Permit].   Qualification handgun must be registered in Omaha if brought in to Omaha.   Then get ready to eat some dirt or get shot when the "Man With Gun" call goes in to 911, regardless of HIC/OC permit.

Omaha Handgun Registration  (Not Applicable to NE CHP Holders/Pre-empted by State CHP Rules):
Focuses on the handgun as an object, not upon where the owner lives.   The instant that a handgun enters Omaha city limits, it must be registered.   No grace period.   No 10 days/30 days to register.   Must be registered NOW.

I asked Sgt. Farnoff of the Omaha Gun Task Force how this rather unusual situation is to be remedied.    He said anyone bringing an unregistered handgun into Omaha must immediately head toward the Omaha Police Department station at 15th and Howard Streets to register the handgun.   (Not sure of their open office hours, BTW.)

Otherwise, bye-bye handgun and the issuance of a citation.

So the above story is kind of a long-winded summation of certain Omaha handgun municodes, but they don't apply to NE CHP holders or those traveling through NE w/lawful out-of-state reciprocal permits.

Hope it all works out well for you.

sfg

Offline midwestbound?

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2015, 08:49:10 AM »
MB, many of us actually live n the suburbs and adjoining communities where we are not subject to the laws of Omaha until we enter city limits. The majority of communities here are gun-friendly unlike the two biggest cities in the state.

Once you have your CCP many of the issues with Omaha's laws go away.

Are any of these places around Lincoln? Cause that is where I would have to live. It's a shame that Omaha and Lincoln have seemed to take such an aggressive and oppressive stance against law abiding gun owners. I don't know how many criminals their laws have stopped, but they have effectively stopped me from visiting.

I asked Sgt. Farnoff of the Omaha Gun Task Force...

"Gun Task Force"? I think that speaks volumes about the attitude of the city leaders towards legally armed citizens. So the citizens of Omaha are cool with stabbing each other to death, just as long as those evil guns aren't used? Please forgive my sarcasm, but the level of some peoples lack of logic blows my mind.  I went to Mayor Jean's and the PD's website and they touted all the reasons I should come visit, but I won't because I don't feel like becoming a criminal just by crossing their city limits. If they insist on having such obscure and draconian gun laws it would be nice if they prominently displayed them on their websites to give people like me who try to obey the law a heads up. I'm strongly considering sending a letter to the mayor and police chief. And if I should get a job, and get my CCW there I think I will still not go to Omaha. I'm a gentleman, I can tell when I'm not wanted, so I will oblige them.

So once you get your CCW your good to go, or do you still have to check and make sure that your not violating the laws of every little city and town you go through? I'm already ticked that I wouldn't be able to carry when I go to church according to NSP's website. I don't know if I want to put up with the stress and hassle of figuring out if going to this city or that will make me a felon if stopped by an LEO. Down here when cities started trying to pull that crap the state AG said it violated the state's supremacy clause and that cities could only restrict carry on city property not entire city limits.  Come on guys NE is in my top 5 of states to move to, surely there is some bright spots, tell me about the gun friendly cities and the efforts to push back against these restrictive laws.   :-\       

Offline mott555

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2015, 09:16:29 AM »
Omaha and Lincoln are only about 50 miles apart and there are lots of great firearms-friendly places to live between them.

There's also a state bill in the works to shut down the two cities' stupid laws, but I think it got hung up in committee or something. Nebraska as a state is generally gun-friendly, the cities are the problem.

Offline midwestbound?

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2015, 10:01:28 AM »
I thought this was interesting:
http://www.gunsandammo.com/personal-defense/best-states-concealed-carry-2014/

it ranks you guys 35, and says the law is preemptive of local ordinance.

Omaha and Lincoln are only about 50 miles apart and there are lots of great firearms-friendly places to live between them.

There's also a state bill in the works to shut down the two cities' stupid laws, but I think it got hung up in committee or something. Nebraska as a state is generally gun-friendly, the cities are the problem.

But state issues I would have to fight to change would be the no carry in church, signs having the weight of the law and a duty to retreat.

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2015, 12:02:35 PM »
I went to Mayor Jean's and the PD's website and they touted all the reasons I should come visit, but I won't because I don't feel like becoming a criminal just by crossing their city limits.

It should be noted that Omaha's mayor has a CCW and she had someone testify in favor of the preemption bill before the Unicameral.  She isn't the one that enacted the city laws and appears to be in favor getting rid of them.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline midwestbound?

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2015, 12:57:24 PM »
Well that's good at least, then maybe she would be receptive to a letter, of course I wouldn't be telling them anything they don't already know. Why are the laws the way they are? Do the cities have really bad crime, run by more liberal politicians? is the general poopulation just scared of guns? Thanks Mali.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2015, 01:31:05 PM »
Do the cities have really bad crime,.......................?

Yes.

Omaha more so than Lincoln.

Yet, yesterday evening a 10-year old girl riding her bicycle in Lincoln in broad daylight (8pm) was shot in the knee by a random drive-by shooter.

Guess there musta been something about her appearance that the Bad Guy Shooter just didn't like.   Maybe she was riding her bike on the sidewalk or something.   News report sez it wuz a "small caliber" bullet.   Hope the damage to the young lady is minimal.

sfg
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 01:35:14 PM by SemperFiGuy »