< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Looking for personal experiences  (Read 3451 times)

Offline Mntnman

• Powder Benefactor
Re: Looking for personal experiences
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2016, 09:54:00 AM »
http://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/161338

Buy a Lonewolf conversion barrel for $100 and you have 2 guns. 9 mm mags are $15-20.

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2016, 11:27:26 AM »
Many manufacturers make .40s and .45s. To give just two examples outside the 1911 and Glock boxes:
  • Walther makes the PPQ in .45. It has a better trigger than any Glock.
  • Browning Hi Powers come in either .40 or 9 mm. At the Council Bluffs gun show two weeks ago, I came across a 50 year old, 9 mm Hi Power with adjustable sights, a very nice trigger and a Commander style hammer.

Offline bgrizzly98

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2016, 11:35:48 AM »
Yeah I know almost every manufacturer makes those calibers, but as I said before, I like all the customization offerings and aftermarket things for Glock.

Offline bgrizzly98

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2016, 11:48:04 AM »
Buying a conversion barrel might be a good option too.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 11:50:57 AM by bgrizzly98 »

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2016, 12:08:12 PM »
http://www.glockstore.com/

Lots of accessories here...
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2016, 03:38:41 PM »
i must be the weird guy in the NFOA.  i've never tried a Uplula mag loader, i don't like Glocks or 1911's very much.

i like M&P's w/ Apex Tactical trigger, RAM, and sear upgrades with different sights.  my M&P 40S&W shoots 9mm w/ a drop in barrel and different mags.  i've also heard the full size parts can be used a in compact versions, but they look weird doing so.

but carry on....
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline jschenck

• NFOA Full Member
  • IT Guy
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2016, 11:49:37 PM »
I'm still new to hand guns - firearms in general, but I've fired a number of them and held even more.  My first centerfire handgun will be a Walther PPQ.  It has the best trigger I've tried and the best fit in my hands.  I did not care for the Glock 19 grip in my hands - just me and fit.  The Springfield XD has been my 2nd favorite I've tried.  I haven't fired an H&K but did hold one at Cabelas sales counter.  The trigger didn't feel quite as good as a PPQ but I would like to try it sometime at a firing range. I'm biased a bit toward paddle mag release so take that into consideration on my view - My Walther will be a paddle release version (PPQ M1 series in 9mm for me)

btw - don't laugh too hard but I did put a few magazines through a Hipoint C9.  By far the ugliest gun I've laid eyes on and unreasonably heavy (especially for a gun that only holds 8 rounds) - BUT it actually ran pretty good, no malfunctions right out of the box (5 different magazines with cheap bulk ammo) and I got reasonable groups at 7 yds ... FWIW a gun that can be bought $150 (or less) new.  I'm not going to buy one but I was surprised, it's not *that* bad.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 11:53:31 PM by jschenck »
Improving myself by shooting F-Class F/TR

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2016, 07:30:18 AM »
Best of both worlds?

Haha

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2016, 08:21:31 AM »
Personally, I am not a fan of Glocks because of the grip angle.  It just feels off when I handle one, but otherwise they were very nice. My father has a 1911 that I do like, but the are generally out of my budget so I don't have one.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline bgrizzly98

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2016, 09:39:31 AM »
Don't worry jschenck, when I first went to seriously look at buying my first handgun I held a Hi Point because of the price, but as soon as I felt how heavy it was I put it back. Lol

I'm still fairly new to the handgun world too, as I just bought my first one last summer, but spent 4 years in the Army so firearms themselves are not really new to me.

Right now I'm seriously leaning towards the g23,22 or the 17 or 19. I love the idea of being able to drop a different barrel into a 22 or 23 and being able to fire 357 sig or 9mm. It would be essentially having 3 guns in one, and since I do want to be able to carry this as well, the 19 and 23 are leading the way due to their size, even though both are still bigger than my current subcompact 9mm.

I'm being very indecisive on the model, but I have ruled out the g41. I went to scheels yesterday to hold one and was amazed at how light it was, but the grip felt a little to big for me. I held the 22 and felt comfortable.

I'm going to check out some others today, but I'm not gonna be buying this for probably another week or two. So I still have time to make a final decision, but I know I can't really go wrong with all Glock. I think a 1911 will have to wait a few years until I can get one I either build myself, or spend a fair amount of money on.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 09:45:30 AM by bgrizzly98 »

Offline dkarp

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2016, 04:28:35 PM »
Sounds like you already decided on the glock style, but I was gonna suggest the S&W line of M&P pistols, or even the Ruger pistols. They seem like a good value from what I've seen. All American made, if that is a deciding factor.

Although I think most Glocks are US made now too. (If not all of them.)

Haven't seen much about the CZ-75 series or their family lately or their clones, EAA. Might be worth a look. The gun press doesn't write much about them unless they are introducing new models.

Doh! Forgot to add what I have: an old G17 that I probably paid way too much for.  (2nd gen I think)Bought it used during the Clinton crime bill years, came with 2 17 round mags is why the price was so high. I felt it was worth it then.

FYI I believe it was a police trade in, showed lots of holster wear but didn't seem to be fired a lot. Had the "black"internal parts and plastic recoil spring guide rod.

Haven't shot it much lately but keep it around for self defense and the occasional GSSF match when I have the time and money. I don't think I'd fare well trying to trade it for the latest generation of frames, but I sure would like to try a gen 4 and see how it fits my hand. Always has felt just a little "off", if ya know what I mean.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 04:36:40 PM by dkarp »

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2016, 08:01:35 AM »
The practice pistol I use the most is a 9mm Glock (Glock 19).  It was a used police trade-in when I bought it.  I've easily run well over 20,000 rounds through it and it works fine.  I had a breakdown a few years ago and had to replace a pin (cost under $10); I had been using dry-lube instead of oil and maybe that had something to do with the pin breaking (just a guess).  I had a trigger return spring break too and it didn't cost much to replace.  That's been at east a few thousand rounds ago and it's functioned flawlessly ever since.  Given the amount of use it's had that's pretty good I think.   
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2016, 07:33:52 PM »
Kinda Odd That No One So Far Has Mentioned Carry Mode:

Glock:
Pull from Holster, Point, Pull Trigger.

1911:
Choose carry mode from Condition Zero, Condition One, Condition Two.......YadaYada.......Condition n.....

I understand nostalgia, tradition, living in the past, past glory, the need to mow down bolo-wielding Moros, the great design legacy of John Moses Browning, all that..........

I even understand the utter fascination 1911 Folks have with their firearms:  grip safety, thumb safety, wicked cocked hammer, heavy handgun heft, all that...........

I understand the sheer delirious beauty of the 1911 form and shape, all that.........

But I can't ever, ever, never understand the method of carrying that Big SOB fully cocked and locked so that it's ready to go when needed.

Especially now that all you have to do with a Glock is draw, point, and pull trigger.

And That's All I Know About That.

sfg
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 04:14:24 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2016, 02:08:49 AM »
SemperFiGuy

The 1911 was designed to be Condition 1 carried with its double safeties. A Glock is basically in Condition 1 whenever a round is chambered. I do not see much difference between a 1911, grab grip safety take off thumb safety pull trigger Bang vs a Glock design with it's passive "Safe Action System" pull trigger safety thus trigger Bang! You tell me which is safer.

Some prefer to carry in Condition Three but when nano seconds count, if you have a free hand and if ever in a gun fight the last thing that I want to be dong is racking the slide on my hand gun.

Col. Jeff Cooper's Conditions of Firearm Carry

Condition Four: Chamber empty, no magazine, hammer down.
Condition Three: Chamber empty, full magazine, hammer down.
Condition Two: Round chambered, full magazine, hammer down.
Condition One: Round chambered, full magazine, hammer cocked, safety on.
Condition Zero: Round chambered, full magazine, hammer cocked, safety off.[/
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2016, 05:36:34 AM »
The 1911 was designed to be Condition 1 carried with its double safeties. A Glock is basically in Condition 1 whenever a round is chambered. I do not see much difference between a 1911, grab grip safety take off thumb safety pull trigger Bang vs a Glock design with it's passive "Safe Action System" pull trigger safety thus trigger Bang!

I agree that there isn't much difference.  That being said, even a cursory reading of people's experiences (and observation at action pistol matches) will show you that an amazing number of people screw up the draw stroke and don't take off the safety under stress.  (Or sometimes accidentally knock the safety upward under stress while shooting, after a reload, etc.)

While the common reaction to that is "then they should have practiced more" (to which I agree) that doesn't change the fact that people DO seem to have issues with it.

That isn't an argument against 1911s, by the way.  It just means that if there are additional controls, people who plan on relying on those handguns need to practice it until they can't get it wrong.
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2016, 06:04:35 AM »
[quote]You tell me which is safer[/quote]

In the USMC at Camp Pendleton we group showered.   Altogether naked, of course.   Such behavior happened to fit right in with the Southern California culture at the time.

One day while in the shower I noticed that one of the corporals had a Huge Scar running all the way down the outside of his right leg, upper hip to ankle.

Being terminally curious and unduly nosy, I asked, "What's that scar all about??"

He said that while he was in Korea he was leader of a heavy machine gun crew, in which case his duty weapon was a .45ACP Browning M1911 semi-automatic pistol.

One day while he was holstering it in his leather US flap-top holster, it discharged.   Hence the long, ugly scar down his right leg..

The courts-martial awarded him six months in the USMC brig and reduction in rank to Private, period.   Took him a while to make it back to corporal.

Now, on the other hand, a few months ago I read of a State Trooper who was holstering his Glock .40S&W.   One of those little round plastic squeezie thingies on his jacket caught on the Glock Safe Action trigger and the Trooper is now a Blood Brother with the USMC Corporal.

Guess if you can do it with an M1911, you can do it with a Glock.

Guns are Dangerous.

All of my guns are dangerous.

All of Yours are, too

sfg
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 07:25:42 AM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2016, 12:22:51 PM »
A Glock is basically in Condition 1 whenever a round is chambered.

NOT TRUE!

A Glock striker dies not have the spring energy required to ignite a primer until the trigger has been pulled far enough to the rear to load the spring and release the striker blocking safety and finally moves far enough to release the striker.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.