< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Looking for personal experiences  (Read 3449 times)

Offline bgrizzly98

• NFOA Full Member
Looking for personal experiences
« on: March 16, 2016, 11:52:35 AM »
I currently have a Taurus PT111G2, and within a week or two I'm going to be purchasing another handgun.

My budget has gone up significantly, and I'm leaning towards Glock or a 1911 as long as its under $1000.

I'd be getting a 45cal 1911 or a 40s&w or 45 glock.

If you've shot either or, or both, which did you prefer and why?

I'm torn because I've read about the article from Lee Vickers stating that if you want a 1911, be prepared to become your own armorer. Basically meaning it's much more maintenance and upkeep than a Glock would be, and that a Glock even in a 45 would have much less recoil than a 1911 would because of the barrel height.

This would be used for concealed carry as well, but doesn't have to be my primary.

Any info from you guys that have way more experience than I do will be greatly appreciated.

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Looking for personal experiences
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 12:03:41 PM »
 Id go with the 1911  so many different barrel sizes and add ons, but I might be a little bit bias, I have 28 of them!
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 12:30:41 PM »
I have Glocks.  I have 1911's.  Glocks are (generally) cheaper.  Glocks are stupid-simple.  Glocks aren't as heavy as a steel-framed pistol making them more comfortable to carry concealed.

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 01:56:58 PM »
Depends on what you want it for.  The 1911 is a very good pistol but as you probably know it was named after the date it came into use by the military.  That was over a century ago.  Newer designs make it obsolete, though there are many who still prefer it.  Some still prefer the old single action revolver in fact.  Even a flintlock pistol will work, just not as well as a newer design.

After the Glock came out it redefined the state of the art; anti-gun bigots waged one of their famous big lie campaigns just to try to get it outlawed.  I believe more police carry Glocks than any other pistol, and even than all other pistols combined.  I don't know if any still carry the 1911 but I doubt many do. 

The .45 round was very well respected in its day and it still is.  There are various opinions over what constitutes stopping power and the most common opinion now seems to be that size doesn't matter.  Size can matter though when it comes to how well you can control your weapon, and the biggest factor in stopping power is shot placement.  Size also determines how many rounds can fit into a magazine, and more rounds means more chances to hit a vital organ.  For those reasons 9mm and .40 cal. are probably a better choice, if self defense is your purpose.  Or if you want a lot of power you might look into a 10mm, though ammo for it will be harder to find and more expensive. 

9mm ammo costs substantially less than .40 and is more common.  That makes practice more affordable, and practice is far more important than any difference in bullet energy.

The Glock should be able to digest any factory ammo you feed it.  I believe it even works fine with 9mm NATO, which is loaded hotter than more standard 9mm and should not be used in some 9mm pistols.  (If I'm mistaken about that hopefully someone will correct me.)

I think a Glock compact or subcompact in either 9mm or .40 caliber is probably the best carry pistol for self defense for most people.  But having a weapon you feel confident in is important too.  So if you just really like the 1911 .45 that might be the best pistol for you.  Otherwise, go with the Glock.
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 03:56:21 PM »
Glock 30S
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 05:46:04 PM »
I have zero personal experience with Glocks. From what I have read, unmodified ones are about as reliable as a hammer. However, I have witnessed failures with examples whose owners had installed aftermarket parts.

Thirty years ago, I bought a Colt Gold Cup. Out of the box, it was reliable with everything but semi-wadcutters. Cylinder and Slide fixed that for me. As long as I clean and lubricate the gun every couple hundred rounds, it's 100% reliable.

From what I have read, 1911 reliability varies from brand to brand. Rock Island and Springfield are supposed to be good; Kimbers not so much. Some expensive, custom guns don't do very well, either. Small 1911s, with short barrels, are notoriously unreliable. You should stick to a full sized model or a Commander. The weight of steel guns makes them pleasant to shoot.

Cylinder and Slide has a good reputation. Since they don't post prices on the web site, I don't know how much they want for a basic 1911 with a good trigger and sights and just enough tweaking to make it reliable.

What is your purpose for a new gun? If it's just to have a .45 for fun, a 1911 strikes me as more rewarding than a Glock. If your purpose is self defense, consider something in 9 mm. The best current thinking is that, with the possible exception of .357 mag and .357 Sig, there is no significant difference between the popular self defense calibers. Long ago, when a solid slug with a round nose was the only ammunition available, .45 was more effective than .38. Modern hollow point ammunition makes shot placement and multiple hits more important than caliber. With 9 mm, you get more rounds in the same sized package and faster repeat shots because of lower recoil.

Offline Mntnman

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2016, 07:16:25 PM »
Buy a Glock 22 police trade in for around $350. You can then get a 9mm conversion and 357 sig barrels for it. Mags are easy to find and reasonably priced. Holsters are everywhere. Aftermarket products are very well represented. I even found Glock 21 trades for a good price. I am trying to find the money to get one of those and convert it to 460 Rowland and 10mm.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2016, 08:25:30 PM »
Glock21 or a Glock 17. I'm not a fan of 40sw snappy and over pressure imo.

I also prefer the gen4 over the gen3.

Thunder alley in Lincoln has used models all the time. Give time a call for there exact inventory.

For around $1000 you could buy 2 used glocks and holsters. :)

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2016, 08:30:14 PM »
9mm NATO, which is loaded hotter than more standard 9mm and should not be used in some 9mm pistols.

You are correct.  The 9mm NANO I used to own had a warning in the manual about using +P rounds.

Offline Mntnman

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2016, 08:35:55 PM »
Glock21 or a Glock 17. I'm not a fan of 40sw snappy and over pressure imo.

I'm not a fan either but I keep buying them, lol. I can buy a G22 and a conversion barrel cheaper than I can find G17s. I have not had any problems using the conversion barrels.

My brother and I shot some 40 last weekend. I must be getting used to them because I enjoyed it quite a bit. He is now buying one.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2016, 08:43:52 PM »
I'm not a fan either but I keep buying them, lol. I can buy a G22 and a conversion barrel cheaper than I can find G17s. I have not had any problems using the conversion barrels.

My brother and I shot some 40 last weekend. I must be getting used to them because I enjoyed it quite a bit. He is now buying one.
Yep the 9mm retain there value unlike the 40sw. Trying to find a used 9mm is hard.  The amount of police forces that use the 22 are much greater than the 17 or 21.

The conversion barrels are cheap enough. I just sold one for my dad since he picked up his 17 and didn't feel the need to have one for his 31c.

Short story buy the Glock :)

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2016, 09:32:27 PM »
Since you already own a sub-compact 9mm you might as well get a different caliber and frame size.

Take a close look at a 1911 in. 45 ACP, and you will own something worthy of passing down to further generations.

With a full size 1911 in .45 the recoil is very manageable, and has been used as a concealed carry firearm for over 100 years with many a different holster available.
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline Mntnman

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2016, 09:47:00 PM »
Yep the 9mm retain there value unlike the 40sw. Trying to find a used 9mm is hard.  The amount of police forces that use the 22 are much greater than the 17 or 21.

The conversion barrels are cheap enough. I just sold one for my dad since he picked up his 17 and didn't feel the need to have one for his 31c.

Short story buy the Glock :)

I know, it is crazy how many people have used 9mms for sale for more money than I can buy a new one for. ;)

I think one factor is that the G22 is their number one selling firearm, by far, and them being traded in as large lots. G23s usually bring about the same as 9mms. I can sometimes find G17s for good prices as well but are usually sold out fast.

I bought 2 G22s recently. The first one was $333 shipped with night sights, box, 2 mags (1 new). I was a lil disappointed that the sights were dim and had considerable holster wear but the internals were like new. I think it was a factory refurb.

The other one was $355 shipped with nightsights, box, and 3 mags. It will be here tomorrow so hoping it is great. I bought from the same place and they said it is really nice.

I saw your barrel for sale. He should have kept it as it is always good to have another option.

Offline bgrizzly98

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2016, 11:12:09 PM »
This new gun is going to be a secondary concealed carry for when I feel like carrying something different, for range/fun use and if I ever decide to get into competitive shooting, it would be for that too.

I think I'm leaning more towards the G 41 right now. I kind of like the idea of having a different caliber and it will be a full frame as well.

I'm not dead set on Glock, I'm open to other brands but as far as availability of aftermarket things like sights, magazines, holsters and pretty much anything you can think of is nice.

I've thought about getting another 9mm like the 17.

I think the biggest determination for me will be which one feels right when I hold it. If I decide I don't like the weight of the 41, which is lighter than the 21 I may end up just getting another 9mm in full frame.

And about those police trade ins. Where can I find info on those? I'd definitely be interested in that.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2016, 11:44:01 PM »
This new gun is going to be a secondary concealed carry for when I feel like carrying something different, for range/fun use and if I ever decide to get into competitive shooting, it would be for that too.

I think I'm leaning more towards the G 41 right now. I kind of like the idea of having a different caliber and it will be a full frame as well.

I'm not dead set on Glock, I'm open to other brands but as far as availability of aftermarket things like sights, magazines, holsters and pretty much anything you can think of is nice.

I've thought about getting another 9mm like the 17.

I think the biggest determination for me will be which one feels right when I hold it. If I decide I don't like the weight of the 41, which is lighter than the 21 I may end up just getting another 9mm in full frame.

And about those police trade ins. Where can I find info on those? I'd definitely be interested in that.

The nice thing about the 41 is your can use you existing small frame glock holsers. So say you have a OWB with a open muzzle the 41 will be a perfect fit where a 21 your will have to get all new holsters for it. As for CC i wouldnt want to stuff anything longer than a 17 in a iwb and owb for cc requires a longer shirt. Nothing that says you can just it is going to be long!

Thunder alley had a 41 the other day. I didnt notice if they still had one or not when i stopped in tonight.

As far a surplus guns go TA gets them time to time. HealthMart gets them also i think. AIM surplus gets a lot but many of them are gen2 19 or 17. maybe Mntman can fill us in!

Offline Mntnman

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2016, 08:02:28 AM »
I won't give up my best fishing holes but wikiarms.com is a good start.

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2016, 08:04:46 AM »
I currently have a Taurus PT111G2, and within a week or two I'm going to be purchasing another handgun.

My budget has gone up significantly, and I'm leaning towards Glock or a 1911 as long as its under $1000.

I'd be getting a 45cal 1911 or a 40s&w or 45 glock.

If you've shot either or, or both, which did you prefer and why?

I'm torn because I've read about the article from Lee Vickers stating that if you want a 1911, be prepared to become your own armorer. Basically meaning it's much more maintenance and upkeep than a Glock would be, and that a Glock even in a 45 would have much less recoil than a 1911 would because of the barrel height.

This would be used for concealed carry as well, but doesn't have to be my primary.

Any info from you guys that have way more experience than I do will be greatly appreciated.

I would not buy a new 1911 that costs less than $1K.  I would not buy one that costs less than $2K frankly.  You just don't know what you're going to get.   I want a gun that will run.  I'm not interested in shipping it back and forth, trying to get it right.  It is not realistic to expect a sub-$1K 1911 to run well. 

Larry Vickers will tell you straight up, buy a Glock.  1911's, on the whole, take more upkeep and care.  You have to be a bit of a mechanic IMHO, to keep one running.  They're more reliable than they're given credit for, but you have to start with a good one.  And that means $$$$$.  Glocks are so much more forgiving of lackadaisical maintenance and in general, they simply work right out of the box and keep working with little fuss.  You can gunsmith a Glock with a rock and a toothpick.  Sights are easier to replace as well. 

40 S&W is going the way of the dodo, as is the 45.  9mm will do everything you need in an SD oriented handgun.  More BB's in the tank and ammo is much cheaper to buy.  The 9 is easier to shoot and easier to shoot faster. 

My advice, as always, buy a G17, spend the rest on ammo and training.  And a good holster and belt.  Maybe two G17's.  Maybe even a G19 if you intend to carry, although folks carry the G17. 

What is your intended purpose for your handguns?  Carry?  Competition?  General range use? 
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 08:17:23 AM by Lorimor »
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2016, 08:15:57 AM »
When Lorimor starts recommending buying Glocks, you know "something is definitely amiss at the Circle K" .... what next, Donald Trump as the POTUS ???

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2016, 08:24:23 AM »
When Lorimor starts recommending buying Glocks, you know "something is definitely amiss at the Circle K" .... what next, Donald Trump as the POTUS ???

I noticed some dogs and cats living together down the street.  :)

It's just real, real, REAL, hard to beat a Glock.  Folks can take a box stock Glock and run it, real, real, REAL well.  Just hard to beat them. 

And now that they're offering a backstrap that better protects hands from slide bite (current production Gen4's), they're a bit friendlier to us high grippers.  :)

(Man, this has been painful as a 1911 toter to write.) 
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 08:27:28 AM by Lorimor »
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline bgrizzly98

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2016, 09:06:37 AM »
This one will be used for just about everything. From a secondary conceal to range, to competitive shooting if I ever decide to get into that.

Like I said earlier, I'm leaning towards a 45 or 40 because I already have a 9mm, but it's a subcompact, so I haven't ruled out the 17 since I do want a full frame as I already have a subcompact.

This won't he my last handgun purchase, but it will be the last one for a while.

I'm going to go see all of them I can in person today and tomorrow, and I think I'll make a decision after that.

But right now it's going to be a Glock unless something profoundly comes up and talks me out of it.

I may have to make a trip down to thunder alley. Living in Omaha, I don't get down to Lincoln very much.