Ammunition & Hand Loading > Cartridge and Shotshell reloading

Reloaders: What About Synthetic/Polymer-coated Bullets?

(1/3) > >>

SemperFiGuy:
Synthetic/Polymer coatings for lead boolits have been marketed now for coupla years or so.

Syntech and Hi-Tek coatings appear to be the coverings which have caught on.

I've never liked to use lead boolits for a number of (to me) very good reasons, but polycoated lead bullets seem to be an improvement over just plain old waxy-coated lead boolits.

So...........

>How reloadable are they?
>Do they reload differently from plain lead, plated, or fmj bullets?
>What about accuracy?
>Are standard steel/titantium dies used, or special dies?

And whatever else you might wish to share from you own experiences with these critters.

sfg

Lorimor:
Truly the greatest thing since sliced bread. 

Advantages over traditional lube lead bullets:

1) Dies stay clean.
2) Guns stay much cleaner.  EASY clean up.  NO leading. 
3) Very little, if any, smoke when firing them.
4) YOU stay cleaner.

Advantages over copper bullets:
1) Cheaper

I can detect no difference in accuracy from standard lead bullets.  My guns run longer in between cleanings as the chamber doesn't get all gunked up as with lead bullets. 

Hitek coated bullets come in a wide array of colors.  This is very helpful in that the reloader can color code his or her loads. 

They are a little more expensive than traditionally lubed lead but cheaper than jacketed or even copper plated bullets.

Cases must be flared a little more when loading them as shaving off the coating when seating the bullets is not a good thing.  A real tight crimp, as in roll crimp, must be approached carefully as it is possible to cut the coating with a tight crimp, which is not good either. 

https://www.blackbulletsinternational.com/loading-basics.html

I've run Bayou, Black Bullets International, Acme (which come with a giant rocket and a pair of roller skates with every order), Lucky 13 and Missouri Bullet coated.  All have been good. Just received a shipment of PC Bullets from King Shooters Supply.  They are purple in color. My wife is delighted. :)

Right now, Acme is my favorite.  Neat red color.  They have free shipping now and then.  The orders come in a nice wooden box.  They're located in Wisconsin. 

http://www.acmebullet.com/bullets-reloading-brass/HiTek-Coated-bullets

I won't buy anything but coated bullets now.

SemperFiGuy:
Well, first of all, please allow me to thank you for you quick, clear, and encouraging response.

I'm awaiting delivery of a Ruger LCR in .327FederalMagnum.   And am intending to practice-shoot w/reloaded DEWC .32S&WLongs and then defense-carry w/.327FedMag Hornady/Other SD loads.

Finding on-the-shelf target ammo at low prices is difficult.   In fact, finding anything shootable in this non-mainstream caliber is fairly difficult.   Plus I want to shoot DE wadcutters, and they are not on the shelves.

So....some low-cost Lee loading dies, some MagTech brass, and some Poly-coated DEWCs from online will be needed.   (I have the primers and powders.)

Thanks again for your response and the accompanying encouragement for use of polycoated bullets.

sfg

Mali:
The prices at ACME were quite reasonable. Might have to pick up some for testing. Thanks for the info!

abbafandr:
I concur with Lorimor.  I've used some Gateway, Eggleston, Acme( although I'm not special enough to get the rocket and skates ;), and Blue Bullets.
Blue Bullets are my favorite but Acme is real close second.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version