< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: The madness begins....my first AR15 build  (Read 3040 times)

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
The madness begins....my first AR15 build
« on: February 21, 2010, 11:02:56 AM »
I picked up a stripped lower yesterday so I'm on my way.  I'm planning on a flat top rifle, either 18" or 20" barrel.  I really want to try my hand at 3 gun, so it will be geared towards that type of shooting.  Over the next year or so I plan to slowly accumulate parts.  I have another rifle I'm building right now so funds are tight, and I want to take the time to do this right so this build is going to take a while.  I'm a cheap SOB so I don't plan to spend extra for unnecessary toys, but I'm not going to skimp on things like the bolt carrier group and barrel.  I know it would be cheaper to buy a complete upper, but I like to tinker with things, and I couldn't find a complete one that had all the features I wanted.

So, for the black rifle experts, how does this sound?

Charles Daly stripped lower (the finish is really nice on this thing!)
Aero Precision flat top upper https://surplusammo.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=33&products_id=489&zenid=44e11d947a0af50de647d3b7eddc88e6
White Oak 20" CMP match or 18" SPR barrel http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/
BCM or LMT bolt carrier group http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Bolt-Carrier-Group-MPI-Auto-M16-p/bcm%20bolt%20carrier%20group%20auto%20mp.htm
Miculek Compensator http://www.cactustactical.com/osc/ar15-jerry-miculek-compensator-p-79.html
A2 iron sight cut down from a colt carry handle (bought on ARFCOM for $40)
Standard A2 front sight
Trigger - keep the stock one for now, have a $35 trigger job done here http://www.triggerwork.net/ar15s.html
A2 stock
Model 1 float tube http://www.model1sales.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=FFF001&storeid=1&image=frrefloat.gif&CFID=56770293&CFTOKEN=67680119

Eventually I'll probably go with some sort of flip up rear sight and either an Aimpoint or a Millett DMS scope.  But, that will have to wait until the wife stops being mad at me for getting yet ANOTHER gun :D

« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 11:09:03 AM by bkoenig »

Offline AJ_Engineer

• NFOA Full Member
Re: The madness begins....my first AR15 build
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 01:18:46 PM »
I went the same way, knew I could get a bargain bin rifle or complete upper for cheaper than building it myself, but I don't regret it. Has been a lot of fun building it all. Since you mentioned ARFCOM I don't need to point you there on advice for how to build it  ;). Of course, a downside is I have not skimped on quality and now have a much more expensive rifle than I originally planned for.  :o

Some thoughts I have on what you have listed:
Looks like that is a stripped upper receiver, so you will need to get an upper receiver parts kit (dust cover, forward assist) to go along with it.

I got a lot of Yankee Hill Machine (YHM) stuff in mine that I am building. YHM lower at the fun show in Fremont, then the rest I got online.

YHM flat top upper kit, YHM 16" fluted barrel, low profile gas block were all direct from YHM.
BCM bolt carrier group I have, have not heard of anyone ever having problems. Also got their gunfighter charging handle mod4.

Find out if you need a barrel nut and all of that for your float tube so you can lump it into your BCM order since they have parts like that. I went with a Larue free float tube so it came with what I needed in that regard. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what small parts like that I would need. Same thing with the stock you get, check to see if it comes with the spring/buffer/tube and all that.

I just got a DPMS part kit (only thing I could find in stock at the time) and I will be replacing the grip it came with for something more comfortable, but the rest of it looks all good.

I just ordered the last stuff I needed last night for the rifle. Tijicon TR24 scope, Vortex flash hider, and a nice quick detach bipod setup.

As far as tools, the only tool I used was an "AR15 multi-tool" which has a barrel wrench on one side and a stock castle wrench on the other.

Of course, I have no idea if mine works or not yet. It should, and I'll be testing it shortly. It was a lot of fun to build it.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 03:36:20 PM »
Yeah, after looking some more it seems like it's just as cheap to buy an upper receiver with the port cover, forward assist, etc already installed. 

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 09:43:23 PM »
Couple questions for you... What is the end goal of this rifle? It seems you want a precision style rig. Do you want to be able to hit targets out to 600 yards consistently? Further? Are you going to be doing any hunting with it of any kind? Are you looking to go absolute top dollar quality or do you want some kind of balance between quality and price?

I may be able to make some suggestions for you depending on the answers :)

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 06:47:27 AM »
I want to try 3-gun competition eventually, and probably also use it for some CMP matches.  I know it wouldn't be legal for service rifle competition, but I could use it in the match rifle class.  I could see myself taking a carbine course some day also.  The CMP is kind of an afterthought, though.  Probably no hunting, I have a .223 Savage bolt gun if I ever get around to busting prairie poodles. 

I wouldn't say I'm going absolute top dollar, so something like a Krieger barrel is probably out.  But I don't want to skimp on stuff that really matters, like the barrel and bolt carrier group.

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 10:20:41 AM »
I'm also in the process of building a 3-gun rifle.

I'd skip the the cut down A2 rear sight.  If you put a scope on it in the future (ACOG or 1-4x are popular in 3-gun), it'll be in the way.  I'd get a folding rear sight like a Troy or even a Magpul MBUS.  I'll probably go with a set of Troy Battle Sights.

I purchased one of these for my 3-gun build:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=431749

It's not installed yet, so I don't know how it shoots.  I specifically chose it because it's stainless and has a rifle-length gas system (DPMS has a pretty good rep for inexpensive stainless barrels with good accuracy).  The rifle-length gas system results in a milder recoil impulse which means less disruption to your sight picture.  Based on some reading I did, Zak Smith had a custom 3-gun rifle built (by MSTN, I think) with a 17" barrel w/ rifle gas.  Apparently 17" is the shortest you can go with rifle gas and still get excellent reliability.  I can't swing a custom 17" barrel, so 18" is the next step up.  I'm not kicking doors, so the extra 2" over a common 16" barrel hopefully won't be an issue.

I'd stick with a BCM BCG over LMT due to the MIM carrier key fiasco with LMT and their obfuscation surrounding the situation.

I had a Miculek comp and it worked well.  However, it was louder than hell and the muzzle blast was fierce.  I found it to be disorienting.  I sold it and the new owner likes it.  They're inexpensive to try.  I've had several people tell me the SJC Titan is THE BRAKE to have for 3-gun, but it's louder and blastier than the Miculek. 

I'm going with a Troy TRX Extreme float tube, rifle-length.  I get a full rail on top and can add smaller sections as needed.  It's a bit thinner in the hand than many traditional 4-rail guards.

I'm still not sure what kind of optic.  The one I want is the Burris XTR 1-4x, but with a LaRue mount it is over $700. 

I'm also not sure what kind of stock I'll use.  I have a black CTR in the safe that's not being used, but I like the looks of the new ACS.  Good reviews on it.  I'd also consider a Vltor Modstock or E-Mod. 

Undecided about buffer weight too.  I'll probably stick with a stock carbine buffer, assuming it's reliable. 

Don't forget to budget for tools or make friends with someone who has some.  I'm still waiting on some action blocks and an armorer's wrench that have been backordered for 3 months.  Other than that, I think I have everything including barrel nut grease, punches, and torque wrenches.   
NRA Life Member.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 06:30:30 PM »
Thanks for the reply Rich.  The main reason I went with the A2 sight was because I wanted an elevation adjustable rear for CMP shooting.  I probably will replace it with some flip up sights and an optic of some kind eventually, though.  I got the sight cheap enough that it won't be a big deal to replace it down the road.

If I'm going to spend some money I'd really like the JP modular tube.  I don't really want a quad rail set up, and I like the looks of the JP.  I'll probably change my mind a dozen times before I actually buy though.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 08:28:59 PM »
Madness is right... I just ordered a  Nikon Monarch 4-16x42 scope for varmints and a LaRue mount.

BTW Rich, my first rifle was, and still is, an RRA 1X9 twist 18" Govt profile, cut down and contoured for me by Adco Firearms. The Rifle gas system and Wylde chamber have been 100% reliable for me with any ammo including steel cased Wolf
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 01:24:19 PM »
Ok, I just got my year end bonus for 2009 this weekend, and I am now debt free except for my mortgage.  No car payments, no credit cards, nothing.  So, to celebrate I'm going to buy a barrel.  I've settled on getting a White Oak since those seem to be a really good barrel for the money.  Now the only question is the 20" CMP or the 18" SPR barrel.  I'm leaning pretty heavily toward the 18" because I think it will be better for 3-gun.  It has a Wylde chamber and a rifle length or mid length gas system.  Any opinions?  I'll probably call them on Monday and order it.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 02:14:54 PM »
It would be real madness to buy a Noveske 18" SPR with an  intermediate gas system that is ideal for the length.

http://www.pkfirearms.com/content/1/20/61/81

That would be crazy ...only $465 from PK Firearms

$535 from Noveske includes an  5.56mm shot peened MP tested bolt INSANE!!!

BTW congrats on the debt reduction.

Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2010, 02:31:58 PM »
Is the intermediate considered better for an 18" barrel?  I kind of want the rifle length so I can get the full sight radius.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 02:49:22 PM »
Sorry to yank your chain like that. The SPR barrel I referred to is totally custom stuff that usually is matched to a free float rail, matched bolt, and does not use a front sight post in the normal manner.

They are generally scoped,  and equipped for a suppressor from OPS inc and design to use special  77 grain Sierra Match King ammo (MK262) for snipers use

Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 02:53:30 PM »
That actually looks like a nice barrel, but it's a little more than I want to spend.  I'm actually going to put a front sight on the White Oak SPR barrel, but I imagine I'll have to use a railed gas block to do so since I think it's too big of diameter for a standard sight base.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2010, 03:00:20 PM »
Did you want to shoot CMP?  I just read that the 18" barrel in not legal in CMP
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2010, 03:36:31 PM »
The Lincoln Ikes are going to have a CMP match that I'll shoot in, but not in the service rifle division.  To shoot that division you need a 20" barrel, carry handle sight, etc.  It has to look just like a regular A2 rifle to be legal.  The 18" should be legal for the Match Rifle division, even if it's not competitive.  That division allows pretty much any centerfire rifle with iron sights.  CMP is really just an afterthought, though. 

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2010, 08:29:17 PM »
Well, I did it.  Ordered the 18" SPR from White Oak today.  I was tempted to look at the 18" DPMS that Rich posted since it's a lot cheaper, but I've heard so many good things about White Oak, and since this will probably be my only AR....
 ::)

I'm trying to decide whether to sell my Savage .223 to help fund this thing.  It shoots so darn well I hate to get rid of it though.  And I regret it every time I sell a gun.

Offline akclark

• NFOA Full Member
    • CryptoSpace
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2010, 08:35:20 PM »
and since this will probably be my only AR....

Thats what we all say the first time.
"The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." -Thucydides

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2010, 09:30:55 PM »
If I have one lower and 5 uppers that only counts as one gun, right?  At least I can spin it that way to the wife....

Offline akclark

• NFOA Full Member
    • CryptoSpace
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2010, 09:34:22 PM »
If I have one lower and 5 uppers that only counts as one gun, right?  At least I can spin it that way to the wife....
I like where your heads at!
"The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." -Thucydides

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2010, 09:42:57 PM »

It's pretty easy to put a complete lower together for under $200. 

Too easy.   :angel1:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.