< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Lincoln's New Bill to change city code on storage  (Read 5208 times)

Offline UncleChilly

• Forum Member
Re: Lincoln's New Bill to change city code on storage
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2019, 07:41:48 AM »
Are they currently just talking about handguns or is the vehicle storage for long arms too?

The proposed ordinance applies to all firearms.

The Lincoln Municipal Code defines firearms as"

9.36.120 Firearm; Defined.
For purposes of Sections 9.36.100 and 9.36.110 of the Lincoln Municipal Code, “firearm” shall mean any weapon which is designed to or may be readily converted to expel any projectile by action of an explosive or frame or receiver of any such weapon including, but not limited to, any pistol, revolver, shotgun, or rifle.

Offline GreggL

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2019, 08:32:49 PM »

The Council meets at the County-City Building, 555 South 10 Street, Rm 112 (Council Chambers). 10/21/19
The meeting begins at 3:00. Hope to see you there.
Government not being restrained by the Constitution as written is tyranny pure and simple.

Offline Range Mom

• NFOA Board of Directors
    • Incendio Firearms Training
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2019, 10:36:13 PM »
Thank you Greg and others who attended.  Keep up the pressure.  Lincoln members,  contact your Council members!

Keep up the pressure!!

https://journalstar.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/opponents-see-lincoln-mandate-to-lock-up-guns-in-cars/article_a6b5c649-f938-5f3b-94af-6b5c2d2490d8.html
Trish - NFOA Board President, Founder Incendio LLC

"The possession of arms by the people is the
ultimate warrant that government governs only
with the consent of the governed."

Offline GreggL

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2019, 10:26:57 AM »

Trish, Thanks for the link. I believe this ordinance has the potential to affect any firearms owner that may visit Lincoln.
I would appreciate anyone who may be affected by this simply by being in the city limits of our capital city at some time
in the future emailing or calling the city council and expressing your concerns. (See earlier post for contact info) Thanks!
Government not being restrained by the Constitution as written is tyranny pure and simple.

Offline GreggL

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2019, 06:09:09 PM »
The City council will be voting on the ordinance changes next Monday 10/28/19 but, our work is not done yet!

Councilman Christensen will be proposing amendments to the proposed changes to the Auto/Firearm storage ordinance. Please go to the link below and email all council members encouraging them to amend the current proposal in these ways:

-Change the proposal so that "secured" means the vehicle is locked and the firearm is out of sight.

-Reduce the penalty from a "misdemeanor" to an "infraction"

https://www.lincoln.ne.gov/city/council/contact.htm will take you to a page you can email all council members with your concerns. 

Councilwoman Raybold will be proposing changes which will make the ordinance even stricter. We as lowly citizens will not have access to the proposed changes before the vote on Monday! So, it is very important that anyone who may be a potential visitor to Lincoln contact the council as this could affect you and, the more feedback they get opposing the current changes the more likely they are to adopt the above changes.  Thanks!!!

Edited to make correction.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 09:26:00 PM by GreggL »

Offline GreggL

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2019, 10:01:09 AM »
Here is a message that can be copy pasted to the city council. feel free to tweak it. They will be voting on this Monday 10/28/19
Thanks again!!!

https://www.lincoln.ne.gov/city/council/contact.htm

This email is in regards to the ordinance amending Section 9.36.110 of the Lincoln Municipal Code relating to Firearms in Unattended Motor Vehicle proposed by councilman Christensen. I would like to encourage council members to support councilman Christensen's  recent changes to the ordinance:

-Change the proposal so that "secured" means the vehicle is locked and the firearm is out of sight.

-Reduce the penalty from a "misdemeanor" to an "infraction"

Councilman Christensen is to be commended for recognizing a serious problem in our city and the desire to "do something" however the solution should be directed at the criminals rather than potentially making criminals of law abiding citizens.

Thank you.

Edited to reflect Roy Christensen's proposed changes to the ordinance.  Please encourage everyone that may be a visitor to Lincoln to contact the Council. Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 09:24:41 PM by GreggL »

Offline LJUnaTIC

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
  • On the Fringe
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2019, 06:54:13 PM »
Christensen got his amendment through!

In locked vehicle out of view is required, and penalties reduced to infractions for first 2 convictions and misdemeanor for 3rd offense...no jail time
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! - I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2019, 09:28:44 PM »
Christensen got his amendment through!

In locked vehicle out of view is required, and penalties reduced to infractions for first 2 convictions and misdemeanor for 3rd offense...no jail time

So it passed with this amendment?  It’s now law?

Or did he just successfully attach an amendment but a final vote still pending?
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline Range Mom

• NFOA Board of Directors
    • Incendio Firearms Training
Trish - NFOA Board President, Founder Incendio LLC

"The possession of arms by the people is the
ultimate warrant that government governs only
with the consent of the governed."

Offline Jito463

• Site Administrator
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2019, 01:48:51 AM »
I still say there was no need for an ordinance that has the potential of making criminals out of victims, but at least we got the least problematic version possible.  Small victories, I guess.  I'm still concerned that it has the potential to be charged as a misdemeanor, given that we know Lincoln has a whole ordinance whereby misdemeanors can cause you to lost the right to own guns within city limits for 10 years.

Offline Jito463

• Site Administrator
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2019, 02:15:47 AM »
You know, something struck me while I was watching the final vote of the city council online.

On the one hand, this was probably the absolute best result we could hope for, given the makeup of the council and the political climate in Lincoln.

On the other hand, I'm very concerned that they could so drastically alter the language of a bill - and then vote on it - without any further public input on the matter.

Wouldn't such major changes require they then allow the public to comment again before voting?  The way it all went down just has me worried for future bills/ordinances.

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2019, 07:25:29 AM »
The LJS article says this replaces the prior ordinance, which prohibited people from keeping a firearm in a vehicle more than 24 hours. 

If that’s the case, it seems like we oddly ended up with something more relaxed than before.  You can now keep a gun in a car parked outside indefinitely, as long as the car is locked and the gun is tucked out of sight under the seat?    ???

Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad it didn’t end up being something stupid.  Just seems weird on the day that some guy at 40th and Old Cheney was in the news for having three guns stolen from his car overnight — one fully loaded.  Seems to me like, if they would have wanted to do something constructive, they would have passed something to deal with numbskulls like that.

Offline cftj

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2019, 07:58:21 AM »
Does this violate the state concealed weapon code?   A firearm in the glove box is illegal without a permit, correct?
if my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land. - 2 Chronicles 7:14 ESV

Offline Jito463

• Site Administrator
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2019, 08:22:40 AM »
Does this violate the state concealed weapon code?   A firearm in the glove box is illegal without a permit, correct?
I believe that would only be an issue if the individual is currently in or operating the vehicle while it's concealed.  This ordinance requires it be concealed and the vehicle locked while it's not being operated.  So long as someone doesn't just get in and drive while their firearm is concealed, they should be okay.

Though we know that at some point, someone is going to forget.  Whether they get caught or not is the only question.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2019, 09:52:45 AM »
The beauty of this "end around" by Roy Christensen is simply BEAUTIFUL.  I applaud him for the outcome and the hornets' nest he has poked with the NAGVs.  Their FB page and Amanda Gailey's are lighting up the Dem dominated council.  Fun to watch them eat their own. ;)

Offline LJUnaTIC

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
  • On the Fringe
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2019, 01:27:34 PM »
We need to remember this was an effort to cut off the NAGV agenda at an early stage,  before their influence with the Council grew to the point they felt they could try something over the top like a semiauto ban.
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! - I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry

Offline GreggL

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2019, 02:57:19 PM »

I spoke with one of the council members today to thank them for voting for the amendment, they assured me that the council had received a high volume of correspondence objecting to the original changes and supporting the final amendment. Thank you to all who contacted the Council! Hopefully this will help stave off the in home storage push for a while!

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2019, 02:59:38 PM »
In reality, this demonstrated that if we are not apathetic, even with a democrat-leaning city council, the “system” can work. Like them or not, the council voted on a common sense amendment and effectively ended the nonsensical prior ordinance.  Several local media outlets reported that the only public input was against the original, un-amended law. 

That’s impressive because conservatives are difficult to mobilize, because they have jobs and families and volunteer commitments at church or coaching their kids’ sports teams, etc.  Liberals by comparison are usually pot smoking homeless bums — or as near as makes no difference — and have all the time in the world to do political stuff like camp out on centennial mall playing the banjo as part of the Occupy Wall Street thing or whatever it was they were doing. 

If they try to introduce another ordinance anytime soon, I think it will be time for me to go on the offensive again with all of the facts about how the previous mayor’s “safe storage task force” was a ruse, and a kangaroo court of the former public safety director’s friends and family.  This included the same student / family member who was later the subject of a statewide Amber Alert because she ran off with some guy from Colorado.  Great judgment runs in that family I guess.  ::)

Offline Jito463

• Site Administrator
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2019, 03:52:54 PM »
I applaud him for the outcome and the hornets' nest he has poked with the NAGVs.  Their FB page and Amanda Gailey's are lighting up the Dem dominated council.

I decided to check out their FB page (after enabling a VPN, using private browser mode from within a virtual machine), and came across this lovely gem:
Nobody is safer with a gun. Myths like "responsible gun owner" and "self defense" are designed to lull us into a false reality which does real harm.

In other words, their ultimate goal is not "responsible gun ownership", it's no gun ownership.  We all need to remember that as we proceed against their agenda in the future.

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2019, 11:47:14 AM »
Good job Lincoln gun owners for showing up to the hearing and speaking up! IT DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE!

The biggest threat I see on the horizon though is Lincoln Senator Adam Morfeld's LB 58 "Extreme Risk Protection Order Act" aka Red Flag Gun Confiscation Law which he has stated he will make his priority in this next session starting in January! WE NEED TO STOP THIS!