< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Lincoln's New Bill to change city code on storage  (Read 5206 times)

Offline Army11C10

• NFOA Full Member
Lincoln's New Bill to change city code on storage
« on: September 25, 2019, 12:00:14 PM »
I talked with Roy Christenson,Republican Council Member about this and he said he introduced it because the Democrat Majority and Democratic Mayor were ready to introduce a Code change to outlaw all Semi autos in the city.Emily Killham,on the mayor's task force stated that storage of firearms was just the First step.Democrats protest everything,conservatives sit on their ass and do nothing.The storage proposal is set for public hearing on October 21.Again ,this is just the first step.Wake up and let us organize to stop this before our 2nd Amendment is destroyed.I will not surrender to these Idiots.

Offline LJUnaTIC

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
  • On the Fringe
Re: Lincoln's New Bill to change city code on storage
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2019, 05:19:14 PM »
Well let's blow this news to every corner of the internet...BOOM !
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! - I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry

Offline Army11C10

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2019, 08:55:30 PM »
I want all Gun owners to be at that Public forum on the 21st.There are 5 Democrats,Democrat Mayor and two Republicans.They are out numbered.The Mayor has a Team that is guiding this.If the LBQ or whatever can protest then,God Damm it why can't we.I wear my ball cap"Make America Great Again" everywhere.I don't care what Liberals think.We all have to stand together.I am Handicap in a wheel chair,I carry one of my Glock's every day.I was threatened last year by a slime bag ,while going to the store.I called the police,but had my weapon ready.They got him the next day.I will NOTgive up my right for self defense.I am ready to roll.I am Ready.

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2019, 08:10:52 AM »
Like I said on the other thread here.  Either we do a statewide preemption ballot initiative or we're all just spitting into the wind.  It worked with the death penalty, overriding the leftist, overly urbanized legislature who don't represent the will of the people or the diversity of opinions across all parts of Nebraska.
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline LJUnaTIC

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
  • On the Fringe
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2019, 11:33:48 AM »
I talked with Roy Christenson,Republican Council Member about this and he said he introduced it because the Democrat Majority and Democratic Mayor were ready to introduce a Code change to outlaw all Semi autos in the city.Emily Killham,on the mayor's task force stated that storage of firearms was just the First step.Democrats protest everything,conservatives sit on their ass and do nothing.The storage proposal is set for public hearing on October 21.Again ,this is just the first step.Wake up and let us organize to stop this before our 2nd Amendment is destroyed.I will not surrender to these Idiots.
Just want to make sure this post doesn't  disappear
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! - I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry

Offline Army11C10

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2019, 12:08:59 PM »
The Mayor today has made another Declaration.Free Gun Locks-Just like we need her to tell us how to use our firearms.Classes to the public on how to protect our families.She said she supports Red Flag laws and the two proposed changes currently on the Menu.It will not stop here my friends.Read the article that was just issued by the Mayor.Her goal is to disarm all of us.Look at her task force.Emily Killham-Advocate to ban semi automatics Ar-15 and all semi auto weapons.All I ask from all of you watch this closely.This is only the beginning with this Mayor and Democratic council members,who has the Majority.Again 10-21-19 is the public hearing on the two proposed changes.Killham stated"THIS IS ONLY THE FIRST STEP".

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2019, 01:08:12 PM »
I hope people will find a way to show up.  It would be a shame to lose your rights simply because you were unable to get off work to fight this.

Offline GreggL

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2019, 02:28:38 PM »

I've put the date on my calendar. Is there a time and location set?

These ordinances could easily be harmful to unaware visitors to our city.

I'll start asking everyone I know with an interest in our ongoing
liberty to attend as well. Thanks.
Government not being restrained by the Constitution as written is tyranny pure and simple.

Offline Range Mom

• NFOA Board of Directors
    • Incendio Firearms Training
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2019, 06:18:49 PM »
Was looking for the hearing on the city council website, but they don't post too far in advance.  How sure are we that it will be heard on the 21st of October? Would like to send out a call to action email.
Trish - NFOA Board President, Founder Incendio LLC

"The possession of arms by the people is the
ultimate warrant that government governs only
with the consent of the governed."

Offline UncleChilly

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2019, 06:56:09 PM »
Here is a link to the specific proposal for the new storage ordinance:

https://legistarweb-production.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/attachment/pdf/431362/19-95_Ordinance.pdf

Offline UncleChilly

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2019, 07:06:18 PM »
I never read the message board guidelines.  I hope it is ok to post the exact language:

11 9.36.110 Firearms in Unattended Motor Vehicle; Unlawful.
12 1. It shall be unlawful for any person to keep a firearm in a motor vehicle which is not
13 occupied and/or is outside the immediate control of the person responsible for the vehicle unless
14 the firearm is locked inside the glove box, trunk, other compartment of the vehicle, or a hardened
15 storage container securely attached to the vehicle in an unattended motor vehicle for a period in
16 excess of twenty-four hours.

17 2. The provisions of this section shall not apply to members of the Armed Forces of
18 the United States, active or reserve, the National Guard of this state, or Reserve Officers Training
19 Corps, when on duty or training, or peace officers or other duly authorized law enforcement
20 officers, nor shall it apply to vehicles containing firearms that are parked in locked enclosures or
21 buildings, such as garages or other storage facilities.

Offline LJUnaTIC

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
  • On the Fringe
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2019, 07:11:39 PM »
Disregard

Offline UncleChilly

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2019, 07:53:46 PM »
As the proposed amendment does state a specific penalty, the Lincoln Municipal Code provides that a violation constitute a misdemeanor.

1.24.010 Penalty for Violations.
Misdemeanors. Any person upon whom a duty is placed by the provisions of this code who shall fail, neglect, or refuse to perform such duty or who shall violate any of the provisions of this code for which a penalty is not otherwise specifically provided shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor, and upon conviction thereof shall be punished by imprisonment in the county jail for a period not to exceed six months, or by a fine of not to exceed $500.00, recoverable with costs, or both. Each day that a violation of this code continues shall constitute a separate and distinct offense and shall be punishable as such.

Offline m morton

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2019, 01:28:18 PM »
As the proposed amendment does state a specific penalty, the Lincoln Municipal Code provides that a violation constitute a misdemeanor.

1.24.010 Penalty for Violations.
Misdemeanors. Any person upon whom a duty is placed by the provisions of this code who shall fail, neglect, or refuse to perform such duty or who shall violate any of the provisions of this code for which a penalty is not otherwise specifically provided shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor, and upon conviction thereof shall be punished by imprisonment in the county jail for a period not to exceed six months, or by a fine of not to exceed $500.00, recoverable with costs, or both. Each day that a violation of this code continues shall constitute a separate and distinct offense and shall be punishable as such.

so the way i read this is ... for sake of argument: you drive to place X,  get sick and an ambulance picks you up and your in the hospital for 4 days .... your car that is left behind gets broken in to on day 4 while your laid up and the cops catch the guy and find the gun in your car under the seat ...  you will get 2 years in jail and a $2,000 fine ?? because you did not get into your car for the 4 days your laid up ...
I will allow myself one personal observation. If you want to disarm yourself, that is your choice. The following quote is a favorite of mine and something to keep in mind when you make that choice.

“Sheep don’t tell wolves what’s for dinner.”

Offline Army11C10

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2019, 09:58:05 AM »
Roy Christenson,Republican council member told me the there would be a public forum on the second proposed change of leaving a firearm in vehicles on October 21st.He wants your comments .His cell phone number is 531-207-2928.He is against these changes and wants your input.Please call him.The Democrats have just started and this is just the FIRST step.The Mayor is the BETO of Lincoln.

Offline GreggL

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2019, 04:41:22 PM »

I was able to speak with Roy Christensen today. The hearing will be on the 21st of October beginning at 3:00 pm
he encouraged me to get as many people to speak out about the ordinance as possible. So, invite all your friends
and colleagues, let's make a good showing.

I would encourage the council to amend the ordinance to the effect that secured means out of sight and locked in the vehicle.
Additional storage containers etc. is to complicated to comply with.
Government not being restrained by the Constitution as written is tyranny pure and simple.

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2019, 07:30:51 PM »
Are they currently just talking about handguns or is the vehicle storage for long arms too?

I honestly have very little sympathy for someone who leaves a handgun unsecured in a vehicle, not even going so far as using the chintzy glove box lock. But long arms are another story.  If you’re at a skeet competition at Lincoln Trap and Skeet, and walk into the clubhouse while the Citori is locked in the pickup, that’s a crime?
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline Jito463

• Site Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2019, 09:46:06 PM »
Personally speaking, I don't keep my firearm in my vehicle unless I'm forced by law to leave it behind.  Even then, I have a fixed lock box in my vehicle that would pretty much require stealing the whole vehicle to get into (or a very large crowbar).  Not only that, but I always lock my vehicle, even if there's nothing valuable in it.

That said, I'm opposed to any ordinance which makes victims into criminals.  What if someone stole a knife from my home and later stabbed someone with it; would I be made into a criminal for not reporting the theft to the police?  This is a stupid change which only serves to make the politicians feel good, so they can get adoration from their supporters for "doing something".

I was able to speak with Roy Christensen today. The hearing will be on the 21st of October beginning at 3:00 pm
Unfortunately, I have to work that day.  If they held the hearing later, I'd be able to make it.  Maybe I can convince my boss to let me switch my days off, but I doubt it.

I would encourage the council to amend the ordinance to the effect that secured means out of sight and locked in the vehicle.
Additional storage containers etc. is to complicated to comply with.
That would be better, though I'm still opposed to criminalizing the victim.

Offline GreggL

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2019, 11:24:10 AM »

I don't leave firearms unattended in my vehicle under normal circumstances either, but I see this as a testing of the waters for further infringements around the safe storage theme. If they don't get push back on this they will be emboldened to press on with their agenda.
If you are unable to make it to the hearing on the 21st please encourage others to attend and write the city council with your objections.

https://www.lincoln.ne.gov/city/council/contact.htm  will take you to a page you can email your concerns.

Here is the email I sent. Feel free to borrow parts or use it to kick start ideas for letting them know you object.

I am writing this in regards to the ordinance amending Section 9.36.110 of the Lincoln Municipal Code relating to Firearms in Unattended Motor Vehicle proposed by councilman Christensen. The council member is to be commended on recognizing a serious issue for the safety of Lincoln's residents. Teenage thieves are an ongoing problem. My neighborhood typically experiences a rash of auto break ins every spring and fall. Teenage criminals with stolen weapons is certainly a danger to our fine city.

I must however take issue with the proposed ordinance changes. ARTICLE I Section 1 of the Constitution of the State of Nebraska in part states:

the right to keep and bear arms for security or defense of
self, family, home, and others, and for lawful common defense, hunting,
recreational use, and all other lawful purposes, and such rights shall not be
denied or infringed by the state or any subdivision thereof.

This ordinance places the burden to reduce teen theft on the victims of the crime rather than on the criminals, as such I see this as an infringement of the Constitutional rights of Lincoln residents. Nowhere in this ordinance does it address the root of the problem, teenage thieves, nor does it seek to punish said thieves but instead punishes the victims of the crime.

Additionally there are inherent problems with the storage requirements.  A person without a State of Nebraska concealed carry permit who secures a firearm in the glove box of their vehicle while operating it  is in violation of State law in that they are concealing the weapon and could be charged with committing a felony offense.
I drive a pickup truck, currently when transporting a long gun I put it in a soft case behind the seat of my truck. I don't believe there is a lockable storage container that would meet the requirements of this ordinance that would fit behind the seat of my truck. I would be in violation of this ordinance if transporting a long gun in the manner I currently do simply by exiting the truck and entering a store for a short amount of time.

Again Councilman Christensen is to be commended for recognizing a serious problem in our city and the desire to "do something" however I would like to see the solution directed at the criminals rather than potentially making criminals of law abiding citizens. I would be curious to know if any of the teens who where apprehended with stolen firearms were sentenced to 6 months in jail or fined more than $500? Could you look into that and get back to me?

I would like to suggest that rather than making criminals of currently law abiding citizens and visitors to our community, the city council focus on stopping or more severely punishing the actual criminals. Also, education and outreach to inform firearms owners to encourage  safe storage habits would be a better solution than punishing them for being victims of crime.

Sincerely,

Offline Army11C10

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2019, 07:30:57 PM »
Thank you GreggL.I see this also as a test of waters.Emily Killham,on the Mayor's task force stated"This is good but this is just the First step".With a Democratic mayor and five Democrat councilmen,it is apparent that we all need to unite,If they could do it they would confiscate all firearms.