< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: New [Almost] Iowa CCW Laws  (Read 1100 times)

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
New [Almost] Iowa CCW Laws
« on: April 28, 2010, 10:24:13 PM »
Well, to tell the truth, right now it's still a bill [SF-2379], but the talk on all the blogs is that Iowa's Governor Culver will sign it into law sometime tomorrow.   We'll see if the predictions hold.

You might want to look at the highlights for yourself:

http://www.iowacarry.org/images/pages/2010-04-07_WeaponsLegislationOverviewVers1-1.pdf

And here's even more detail:

http://www.iowacarry.org/images/pages/2010-04-06_Iowa%20Code%20Section%20724-SF2379.pdf[/url]

Looks like a pretty good CCW law.   [Yes, I defer to all you Alaska/Vermont fans who say there no such thing as a "good" CCW law.   Like our staunch NFOA colleague, Tut, and many others of the same view.]

In many respects, the proposed Iowa law is less restrictive than ours here in Nebraska.

You can judge for yourself.  For example:

The way I read it in the very, very marked up copy that I downloaded, any NRA handgun safety course counts for their required training  [Like First Steps Pistol??  We'll see.]

Military small arms training experience qualifies.   Show your DD214.

Participation in formal handgun competition counts.   Law sez "show any document" indicating participation.   

And several other lesser requirements than our own.   Like, they're gonna reciprocate with just about any state w/CCW permits.   [Now that I've got my Iowa Professional CCW Permit!!!   Don'cha Know!!!!]

So---Who'da thunk it??   In Iowa!!!   Nice state.   Nice people.   But just a bit left of center on firearms stuff.

We're moving forward.   Raggedly, perhaps.   But anything forward counts.

sfg

Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer