< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Holster questions  (Read 5884 times)

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
Holster questions
« on: July 24, 2010, 10:36:54 PM »
Eventually I'll go for a conceal permit.  It'll be some time before I'm personally comfortable carrying a weapon... and have some time to debate a holster.

My question isn't necessarily a brand, but rather a style of holster.

My day job has me in slacks and a tie (sitting most of the time).  There are plenty of times when I'll wear effectively beach shorts on my time off.

I understand many of the reasonings behind a completely concealed weapon, but it may not be completely applicable given my wide attire range.

I am leaning towards a shoulder holster (covered by a hawaiian shirt in casual, dunno what while in slacks/tie).  For my lifestyle and attire, it seems the most generic approach.  But it also advertises the fact of carry if it's not covered.  I currently wear a 'technology holster' for my phone and such, so I'm accustomed to wearing a shoulder holster.

What would be an appropriate holster to start looking at ? Sticking with a particular type of belt ? A certain kind of shoulder ? I'm not overly comfy with a waste band holster (not to mention my weapon is not a sub compact).

If I'm in slacks and tie, what are my options for concealment other than a hot/uncomfy blazer ?  An untucked button up shirt is hideously ugly / goofy looking :).  Is an open / uncovered belt holster prefered to a shoulder ?

etc etc etc....
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
Re: Holster questions
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 12:40:46 AM »
I have a cousin that carried a Sig 250 in a Crossbreed Supertuck... his own family didn't know he carried for over a year....
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 12:43:57 AM »
I suppose mentioning this would be with a Sig p229 would be wise :).  Thanks for reminding me.
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 07:49:50 AM »
X2 for the CrossBreed IWB style of holster.  I can wear it with a suit (shirt tucked in) or shorts and an Under Armor T-shirt (very thin and clingy fabric) and no one knows. 

Offline ranger04

• Valued Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 10:00:14 AM »
I utilize a Crossbreed Supertuck for 95% of my CCW. It can make my 4" XD disappear as well as my 3" subcompact XD. I also have a holster that fits around my waist, (can't recall the name of it right now, will come to me as soon as I post this probably) but that works well also. I prefer the Supertuck. My clothing works well with it. It isn't a real pretty holster but darn sure works well. I have taken a nap with my supertuck on and I kind of miss not wearing it. I would go with the supertuck, hands down. The company is great to work with and offers some of the best customer service I have ever had.

Offline sparky

• NFOA Full Member
  • Site Sponsor
    • Midwest Leather Works
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 01:16:53 PM »
I use a Tucker Gunleathe "Answer" it is the original of the crossbread type holsters, very similiar to the supertuck but does not have interchangable kydex for different guns.  Also they line the interior of the kydex with leather to help protect your guns finish and elimiate the snick sound when drawing. 
www.midwestleatherworks.com
matt@midwestleatherworks.com

Offline MikeF72

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 01:47:30 PM »
I have several holsters but my favorite is also the Crossbreed Supertuck.  You almost forget it's there and you can use with a shirt tucked in, or not.  Very comfortable while sitting - I'm wearing mine while I type this out.  None of the others come close for comfort or concealability.
All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife. - Daniel Boone

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 06:32:31 AM »
You wear the clothes to fit the weapon not the other way around. Like you said you are not ready.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline 2 E L O

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 12:11:25 PM »
I don't particularly agree with the "clothes around the weapon" statements that I read all over the internet.  With my job I have to wear business casual--slacks and tucked in button down long-sleeve shirt.  Every day.  Year round.  I'm a pretty slender guy, not super, super skinny, just pretty slender framed (5'-9", 160 lbs).  I had to find a weapon (decided on a M&P9c) that would fit my body AND my clothing limitations.  It would be great to be able to wear loose fitting untucked shirts every day and carry a 1911, but that's definitely not an option.

Additionally, this meant a tuckable in-waist-band (IWB) holster was required. 

I have owned a Crossbreed Supertuck, the Crossbreed Minituck, and now the Comp-Tac Minotaur MTAC.  The Supertuck is just huge....wayyy too bulky to be comfortable.  It conceals nice and I can wear it for short periods of time, but I would not want to wear it all day, every day.

I do like the Crossbreed Minituck and I use to carry a Kel-Tec PF-9.  However, I don't believe CB offers a Minituck for the P229.  The Minituck/PF-9 combination was comfortable, but not EXTREMELY comfortable.

Now I have finally found a combination that works FOR ME.  I carry a M&P9c in a Comp-Tac Minotaur MTAC.  It is SUPER comfortable, conceals awesome, and is of great quality.  It's easier/faster to tuck than the Crossbreed, too.

But, this issue is totally dependent on personal preference, body size, gun size, etc.  If you're like most people, you may go through a handful of holsters before you find the one that fits you just right!

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 01:48:03 PM »
I picked up a Desantis Cozy Partner (IWB) for my 4.25" barreled 1911. It's very comfortable and conceals very well with a baggier polo shirt, untucked button up, or a baggier T-shirt. If you have a jacket it's practically invisible. The holster is extremely comfortable and the belt snaps feel very sturdy. It's my favorite holster thus far.

I am required to leave my gun in the car while at work (gun free zone, sigh) but I carry pretty much everywhere else I go (unless it's marked, of course).

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 06:36:19 PM »
You wear the clothes to fit the weapon not the other way around. Like you said you are not ready.

That's a rather dangerous statement / ideal to throw out there. That my attire dictates if I should carry or not. Tesla's 'Signs' song with lyric 'long haired hippies need not apply' ...

Don't get me wrong, at the moment I'd be the first to say I wouldn't be comfy carrying., but not because of my attire. I realize when I do start some clothing changes will be required. If it's a IWB, then I'll have to buy a new set of denim / belted shorts, etc.

I do appreciate the heads up on holster ideas. I'll prolly pick one of the suggested ones as a starting point and see how it feels.

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2010, 11:40:23 PM »
I think he was saying for your own safety. Having a concealed gun that people can see is dangerous for you. "Normal" people may think you're up to no good (and may call the police) and you would lose any element of surprise you might have if a criminal attacks you knowing you have a handgun and could possibly disarm you before you have a chance to draw.

Carrying is a serious responsibility: You can either be an asset to society or a liability. A responsible CCW permit holder dresses how s/he must to conceal as best as possible in addition to other things like training and staying on top of gun maintenance.

Your mileage may vary and all that... Just my opinion on the matter.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 01:24:31 AM »
SeanN: i appreciate the attempted clarification.

David H's response was... entirely too... presumptuous and absolutely useless given that he knows so very little about me or my situation.... and that it offered no suggestions but rather just stone walled me  ???

Others here have suggested several IWB holsters.  I've had private messages here or elsewhere that discuss shoulder holsters and why they aren't so great for CC, others that suggest how to handle different IWB or OWB depending on dress.  Some have suggested getting a secondary small carry weapon with an in pocket holster or other small holster for when my attire doesn't permit my primary carry choice. David's response did none of these things.

I've been primarily a range / target shooter my entire life (since I was 7).  As a target shooter, i've had ZERO use for a holster.... and thus ZERO experience / knowledge concerning them.

I'll be picking out my first stab/attempt at a holster tonight.  Wish me luck  ;D  Thanks again everyone... I'll update with my love/hate for ya'll after my choice arrives  :P

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 01:34:52 AM »
G'luck!  :)

You'll enjoy IWB holsters best, imo. I tried OWB for awhile but they are just so hard to conceal well with... At least mine were.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 03:33:39 AM »
Went with the crossbreed supertuck deluxe. Assumption is due to the weight of the p229 equinox, the farther apart belt clips would help distribute weight a bit.  the mtac and 'answer' were tempting and prolly next options... if the wide crossbreed is no good for my 'average' build.

sadly, got the 'high volume' automated mail response ... so... might be a while before get it.  that's okay tho... will prolly be 8-12 weeks before i'd be ready to go for ccw class / permit anyway.

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2010, 12:23:05 PM »

sadly, got the 'high volume' automated mail response ... so... might be a while before get it.  that's okay tho... will prolly be 8-12 weeks before i'd be ready to go for ccw class / permit anyway.

I ordered mine July 5th and got it 3 weeks to-the-day later.   It beat my CCW permit which I applied for a week earlier.. and still isn't here as of today the 27th, so i've been carrying dummy loads around the house to get used to it :)
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline mustang5o

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2010, 01:22:09 PM »

I ordered mine July 5th and got it 3 weeks to-the-day later.   It beat my CCW permit which I applied for a week earlier.. and still isn't here as of today the 27th, so i've been carrying dummy loads around the house to get used to it :)

I love the Crossbreed holsters and was planning one for everyone of my guns.  A friend of mine had issues with getting a holster setup the way he wanted and started making his own.  He showed me how and now I make my own.  So far I've only done one for my Kahr MK9 and Ruger LCP (both single clip designs).  Next up Para Carry, XD9 4" and another for the Kahr with double clips (that little Kahr has some nice weight to it).  I'm borrowing belt clips from my Crossbreed for now but I'm investigating other options as well.

Check them out.  Let me know what you think. (large pics)

LCP

MK9

Offline sparky

• NFOA Full Member
  • Site Sponsor
    • Midwest Leather Works
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2010, 02:47:21 PM »
you shouldn't have to borrow from your other holster you can buy spare kydex clips from tucker gunleather or the metal ones from mtac or crossbreed, one of them uses the metal ones now.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2010, 02:47:28 PM »
My one critique would be access to the grips seem limited by the extra leather. Could make for a tougher draw.

Edit to add

This is what I mean. Milt Sparks calls this  a full combat grip on my VersaMax II. Very comfortable, yet also very easy to get a hold of the grip for a rapid draw
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 03:53:19 PM by Dan W »
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline sparky

• NFOA Full Member
  • Site Sponsor
    • Midwest Leather Works
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2010, 02:50:14 PM »
just looked at the pictures, is it hard to get a full grip with the extra leather?