< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Who here shoots 3 gun?  (Read 9671 times)

Offline AJ_Engineer

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Who here shoots 3 gun?
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2010, 07:15:33 PM »
Well I think I'm going to give the three gun match this Sunday (17 OCT) at ENGC a go.

My 28" Remington 870 may not be that well suited for it, and I've got nothing to hold spare magazines for my rifle or spare shells. I'll just consider it a learning experience!

Anyone else planning on heading out for it? I'll try my best not to let any of the rest of you finish last!

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2010, 07:36:44 PM »
AJ,
I don't know how ENGC designs their courses, but out in GI, a long barrel is not an encumbrance.  In fact, longer barrels are an advantage due to the longer sight radius.

For extra shells, keep some in a dump pouch (Maxpedition Roly-Poly is a nice choice) or a cargo pocket for now.  Rifle mags can go in a back pocket, or pick up some Bladetech pouches from Brownells.  The injection molded AR pouches fit USGI and Pmags.
NRA Life Member.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2010, 09:42:53 PM »
AJ, I wasgoing to go to the ENGC match this weekend but I decided to go to a BPCR shoot in Kansas instead.  I REALLY want to go to their zombie 3 gun on Halloween but I have family stuff.

Offline 20nickels

• NFOA Full Member
  • I've got your back
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2010, 09:59:14 AM »
ENGC has a Zombie 3 gun shoot????  Can't make it this year but I know what I'm doing next Halloween.
~1522~    In an effort to reduce the continuing fear surrounding the black magic of guns and black powder, a Bavarian necromancer states that rifles are more accurate than smoothbores because the spinning bullet doesn't allow a demon to gain purchase upon it.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2010, 02:32:59 PM »
Ok, change of plans.  I had my dates mixed around, so I am planning on going to the 3 gun at ENGC tomorrow.  If only I could make the zombie match...

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2010, 06:16:58 PM »
I had a great time at ENGC today.  I did better than I though I would and managed to not embarrass myself.  I forgot my shotgun shell pouch so I learned the hard way that pulling shells out of your back pocket is not an efficient way of reloading your shotgun.

On a happier note I'm really loving the Apex sear in my M&P.  I shot much better than I normally do in pistol, and I'm pretty sure it's mostly due to the vastly improved trigger.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2010, 04:58:07 PM »
Zombie Match at ENGC!  (C'mon, folks, it is a morning match, so you'll have plenty of time to get back home to take your kids out later... :) )

http://www.nebraskafirepower.com/forum/index.php?topic=2732.0  (for the discussion here on the forums)

http://hapkido.4t.com/Zombie1/ZombieMatch.html  (for the link to the Zombie Match website)

RE:  ENGC 3-gun match in October
Glad you had a good time at the 3-gun match.  I had to miss this one, but I'm looking forward to the next one towards the end of November.

Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2010, 05:29:55 PM »
Last ENGC 3-gun match of the year is this Sunday!  (November 28th)

C'mon out---we'll have a pistol, rifle, and shotgun stage (one each), plus if we have enough people to help out, we'll also set up a bonus multigun stage (shotgun and pistol, this time) for you to shoot.

Setup starts at 7:15am, shooting at 9am. 

http://www.easternnebraskapracticalshooters.com/
http://www.engc.us

See you there!

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2010, 06:31:43 PM »
I'm going to try...the wife is taking her ccw class that day, so it depends if I can find a babysitter.

Offline stutzcattle

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2011, 10:44:02 AM »
What's the best way for me to get into the practical shooting side of things?  I shoot quite a bit on my own, but feel that I could sharpen some skills by getting together with some other folks and doing it under pressure. 

I'm not really concerned about winning anything, I really just want to shoot under pressure and do it realistically.  Are the three gun matches even what I'm looking for?

If this is what I'm looking for, what are people using for shotguns?  I've got two semi autos, are those allowed?

I'm pretty well set on rifle, pistol and chest rig.  Any info is appreciated.

Jim

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2011, 10:56:42 AM »
Practical shooting sports, such as "Three Gun" are a perfect way to build your shooting skills, shoot with others and shoot under pressure. Best thing is to bring your gear to a match and sign up. If you don't have some of the correct equipment there are people who will loan you what you need. This is a good opportunity to see in person what people are using before making investments in your own equipment

The Eastern Nebraska Practical Shooters info and schedule are here:

http://easternnebraskapracticalshooters.com/multigun/multigun.htm

Most people are using Remington 1100 or Benelli M-2 Semi-Auto Shotguns.......... Or Remington 870 pumps

Offline Burnsy87

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2011, 12:23:11 PM »
I'd love to get into 3-gun. 

Need a shotgun, set on a Benelli M2 when the funding gets here.

I have a Beretta 45, I doubt that's optimal for 3-gun.

I'm currently turning my 16" AR carbine into a 12.5" SBR, which I also doubt is optimal for 3-gun.

I have a basic MOLLE FLC vest, but I think I want a modular belt instead.  Do people run belts?

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2011, 01:04:14 PM »
Stutzcattle wrote:
"What's the best way for me to get into the practical shooting side of things?  I shoot quite a bit on my own, but feel that I could sharpen some skills by getting together with some other folks and doing it under pressure.

I'm not really concerned about winning anything, I really just want to shoot under pressure and do it realistically.  Are the three gun matches even what I'm looking for?"

There are probably a large number of opinions out there regarding the "proper" answer to your question.  I'll just say that I think that practical shooting, while not teaching or practicing anything resembling defensive tactics, does a good job of helping you improve your shooting skills under a variety of situations you wouldn't normally practice, along with putting you under pressure (physical, mental, and emotional) which is something you simply can't get on your own.

As for whether or not 3-gun is what you want---truthfully, I'd suggest shooting everything---for the simple reason that you can get very different things out of the different shooting sports. 

Chris Zeeb holds some great Rock-Your-Glock matches that really push accuracy (and he has an indoor league starting this month in Lincoln, too)  http://rockyourglock.tripod.com/

ENGC holds a Steel Challenge match 5 times a year, which takes the accuracy/speed ideas of the RYG matches, and adds drawing from a holster, and steel targets.

ENGC also holds USPSA pistol and Multigun-Rules 3-Gun events.  (Pistol once a month, and 3-Gun 6 times a year.)  They each stress different things, but all push your limits in shooting---and that is where you get better.  I'm not saying they substitute for personal practice, but they certainly enhance your personal practice in a way that again, you just can't get by yourself.

I really would suggest simply trying everything once, and seeing what sorts of things you like.  Information about the practical shooting matches at ENGC are found on the Eastern Nebraska Practical Shooters page at:  http://www.easternnebraskapracticalshooters.com  (or find us on Facebook, because we like to post pictures of people shooting).

First USPSA pistol match of the year is---tomorrow.  :)  It'll be cold, yes, but it'll still be fun.  Pistol, safe hip holster that covers the trigger guard (Uncle Mike's kydex, Blackhawk CQC, Blade-tech sting ray, various leather holsters---but no crossdraw, or shoulder holsters) and about four magazines (and lots of ammo!) and you are good to go.    See http://www.nebraskafirepower.com/forum/index.php?topic=3010.0 for some details.  Show up, and we'll help you pick what division you are shooting in, give you a safety briefing, squad you with a group of people, and you'll be shooting.

First Steel Challenge match of the year is January 16th (two weeks from tomorrow)  Here's a short blurb I wrote about how these run:  http://hapkido.4t.comDownloadsSteelChallengeComments.pdf
And here is some video of people of several different skill levels shooting:

"If this is what I'm looking for, what are people using for shotguns?  I've got two semi autos, are those allowed?

I'm pretty well set on rifle, pistol and chest rig.  Any info is appreciated."

Pumpgun or semi-auto, both are allowed.  Here is a short blurb I wrote to describe 3-gun competitions:  http://hapkido.4t.com/Downloads/3-GunComments.pdf
One important thing---this year, we are operating under Multigun Rules, instead of USPSA 3-Gun---which makes things a little different.  Here are the Multigun Rules we will be using:  http://www.easternnebraskapracticalshooters.com/multigun/MultiGunRules2010.pdf

Just so people know what they are getting themselves into, here are a couple of YouTube videos of some of our 3-Gun matches:

---note, these were shot under the USPSA 3-Gun rules, so it'll be a little different this year. 

Some people do run chest rigs and such---but most don't.  Our matches aren't like the MGM Ironman, so it isn't necessary.  :)  Nothing wrong with doing so, mind you---but if you don't have that gear, it is okay.  Some people just stick the AR mags into a pocket.  Pretty much the big thing that most people don't have, gear-wise, is something to use to reload shotgun shells.  Our shotgun stages tend to be lots of rounds, and having a bag full of shells on your hip works--but not very well.

Burnsy87 wrote:
"I'd love to get into 3-gun.
Need a shotgun, set on a Benelli M2 when the funding gets here.
I have a Beretta 45, I doubt that's optimal for 3-gun.
I'm currently turning my 16" AR carbine into a 12.5" SBR, which I also doubt is optimal for 3-gun.
I have a basic MOLLE FLC vest, but I think I want a modular belt instead.  Do people run belts?"

You'd be amazed what people try.  Quite frankly, the first time you come out, don't worry about winning or placing---just show up and shoot.  You'll then know more about what equipment is needed, and what isn't, plus you can talk to people who've been doing it for awhile.

In general, bring what you've got, bring lots of ammo, and come on out--we'll find a way for you to shoot it.  Mostly, you just need to bring safe gun handling skills. If you've got that, everything else will work out.   :)

See you at the range!

Offline stutzcattle

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2011, 01:48:06 PM »
Thanks for the great info.  I'd love to come tomorrow, but thankfully we are having our last Christmas tomorrow.  Either that or it's the first one for next year, who knows anymore.

The shoot on the 16th might work for me.  Is that in Louisville?  How many mags and does caliber make any difference?

Offline Burnsy87

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2011, 02:19:08 PM »
Great reply, thanks jthhapkido.

I'll grab a Benelli M2 once I get my SBR build done.  I'd love to start competition shooting.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2011, 05:59:44 PM »
I'm all geeked up for 3 gun this year.  Got a new scope for my AR today, and a new shotgun on the way.

Offline Burnsy87

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2011, 06:15:34 PM »
My worry about the SBR was that it may not have the necessary velocity to knock down steel at range, but from your videos everything is pretty close and paper.  I feel better about the rifle for this competition then.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2011, 07:55:00 PM »
Stutzcattle--yes, the Steel Challenge match is at ENGC near Louisville (http://www.engc.us). 

You can survive with 2 mags as long as someone can stand behind you and reload one mag while you are shooting a sting with the other.  That being said, it makes your life (and everyone else's) much easier if you have 5 mags.  So---at least two, and more is good.  I bring 25 loaded mags, that way I don't have to load any mags during the whole match.  :)  But I'm a little strange.

Caliber only makes a difference in terms of what division you are in.  Rimfire has its own set of divisions, and so does centerfire.  If you are shooting centerfire, you have to have a safe holster to draw from. Rimfire doesn't use a holster.  Outside of that, just bring what you have and we'll put you in the right division.  There is no power factor or anything like that, so many people reload specific powder-puff "steel challenge" ammo.

Burnsy87--glad it helped.  If you don't have a shotgun you like, let me know and you can borrow mine for the 3-gun match.  (I used to use a Rem 870 pumpgun, and it worked fine.  I'm currently using a Rem 1100, and it is good too.  I can bring either---you just need to bring ammo.)  Our first multigun match of the year is March 20th. 

This year we are going to have two of our five multigun matches on larger bays (a 100 yard and a 300 yard) but the SBR still shouldn't be a problem, even on steel at 300 yards.  (Well, other than hitting it in the first place, but that is a problem we'll ALL have. :) )

In the meantime, come to the USPSA pistol matches (first sunday of every month) and the Steel Challenge matches (Jan 16th this month)!

Offline stutzcattle

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2011, 05:02:21 PM »
I've got a super x 2 that I'm gonna make my 3 gun shotgun.  What size mag extension do I want?  It seems that an eight shell extension would make it longer than my 26 inch barrel.  

ETA: I think I figured it out and only need a 3 shot extension.  That should put me to 8+1. 

« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 08:04:07 PM by stutzcattle »

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2011, 06:45:12 PM »
You'll want to be able to hold 8+1 in the chamber.  If it sticks out a little past the barrel it won't hurt anything.