< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Who here shoots 3 gun?  (Read 9674 times)

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Who here shoots 3 gun?
« on: August 01, 2010, 03:54:22 PM »
I'm looking to try some 3 gun shooting so I'd like to find out a little about some of the local matches.  I know Grand Island and Eastern Nebraska Gun Club both hold 3 gun matches.  I'm wondering what I need to know about these particular matches - round count, ammo type, etc.  I have an iron sighted AR-15, a Remington 870, and a crappy .40 Sigma.  I'm sure if I get into this I'll want to upgrade my shotgun and pistol to something better, but for now I'll run with what I have. 

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Who here shoots 3 gun?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 04:24:12 PM »
There are a couple of directors that shoot 3 gun, Rich B and Chris Z. I am sure they will chime in
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline tlafrance

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 05:14:17 PM »
3 gunner here since 1995 ;D

Recent relocation from AZ to NE has me looking for matches as well.  ENGC has one this month Aug 15 that I plan to attend.  GI has nothing scheduled that I can find.

Your equipment is fine.  Focus on the skills and making what you have reliable before upgrading.

PM me, I have some gear and pouches you can use if you need them.

Tom

"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't"

Offline Roper

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 05:31:27 PM »
I have wanted to try this sometime.  Where can a group of people meet to learn about the sport and shoot around some?
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty.
Ronald Reagan

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 08:19:21 PM »
Run with what you have for now...... I started with an old 870....... Arms got tired pumping that sucker on 25 round courses so I upgraded to an 11-87.

ENGC matches are a fun time

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 10:14:09 PM »
So at ENGC what kind of shotgun ammo do I need?  Will birdshot suffice or do I need slugs/buckshot?

I'm definitely planning on running what I have for a while.  No sense spending more money until I see what works first.

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 10:15:48 PM »
Birdshot for most matches...... They will occasionally tell you to bring slugs (I don't think I've ever needed buckshot at their matches)...... They will generally post on their website www.easternnebraskapracticalshooters.com if you need to bring slugs.... Never hurts to have a couple boxes on hand in the range bag with you though just in case

Offline tlafrance

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 10:15:47 PM »
So at ENGC what kind of shotgun ammo do I need?  Will birdshot suffice or do I need slugs/buckshot?

I'm definitely planning on running what I have for a while.  No sense spending more money until I see what works first.

I'm heading up from Hebron, do you want to car pool?  I can get the urban assault minivan from the wife and we can toss all our gear in the back.

Tom
"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't"

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 06:56:50 AM »
So at ENGC what kind of shotgun ammo do I need?  Will birdshot suffice or do I need slugs/buckshot?

I'm definitely planning on running what I have for a while.  No sense spending more money until I see what works first.

I'm heading up from Hebron, do you want to car pool?  I can get the urban assault minivan from the wife and we can toss all our gear in the back.

Tom

Sure, although I have a conflict for the August match so I won't make that one.  Probably the first match I can make will be the September one in Grand Island.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 07:07:46 PM »
I just realized the September match in GI is the day after the NFOA meeting.  Two days of shooting fun...sounds good to me!

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2010, 09:36:08 PM »
It looks like the cool kids are the ones shooting 3-gun.  ;)

Roper, if you want to try it, contact the match director and see what kind of ammo is required, and just show up with whatever guns you have now.  If you don't own a semi-auto rifle, bring some .223 ammo and I bet that someone will let you borrow one. 

If you're near GI, I'll loan you whatever gear you need.  We love noobs!
NRA Life Member.

Offline 20nickels

• NFOA Full Member
  • I've got your back
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 09:42:44 AM »
I just realized the September match in GI is the day after the NFOA meeting.  Two days of shooting fun...sounds good to me!

I'm In G.I. and try very hard not to miss any 3gun matches.  Lately 1/2 of our shooters have been from Omaha, Lincoln and N Platte.  We even had a 6 week multigun league in July, but unfortunately did not get a very good turnout.  You can find matches on HPSP's website.
+1 on run what you brung.  You have nicer gear than I've been using all year!  Just have fun.
~1522~    In an effort to reduce the continuing fear surrounding the black magic of guns and black powder, a Bavarian necromancer states that rifles are more accurate than smoothbores because the spinning bullet doesn't allow a demon to gain purchase upon it.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2010, 05:21:02 PM »
The next ENGC 3-Gun match is going to be in October, and it'll be four stages--one pistol, one rifle, one shotgun, and one a combined pistol/shotgun stage.

We are playing with some ideas for multigun rules, so the pistol/shotgun stage will be scored separately from the other three stages. 

When I started, I used a Glock 34, Rem 870, and a Bushmaster Shorty AK-version AR-15, all with iron sights---and did just fine.  If it shoots, you can play with the rest of the kids.  :)  (I still use two out of those three guns for matches.)

Pistol stage will probably be around 30-32 rounds, Shotgun about 20-30 birdshot (7 1/2 or 8 shot work just fine), and Rifle around 35-45.  Combined stage (this time) will need about 12 shotgun shells (birdshot) and 12 pistol rounds.  Total, I'd bring about 100 rounds of each type, just in case of re-shoots and such.  (You won't shoot them all, but I've never lost a match because I brought too much ammo.  :) )

The Eastern Nebraska Practical Shooters have a Facebook page where we post stuff periodically (including our new proposed multigun rules in the discussion section there) and also a website at www.easternnebraskapracticalshooters.com as someone has already mentioned. 

If you have other questions, feel free to PM me, since (for my sins) I am the 3-Gun coordinator for ENPS.
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2010, 08:37:53 PM »
Thanks for the info, I definitely plan to try and make it to an ENGC match also. 

Offline 20nickels

• NFOA Full Member
  • I've got your back
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2010, 11:40:30 AM »
Well Brian, judging by the permagrin on your face after the close range rifle and door breaching stages I would guess that you enjoyed yourself on Sunday.  I know I did.  Tks for visiting. :)
~1522~    In an effort to reduce the continuing fear surrounding the black magic of guns and black powder, a Bavarian necromancer states that rifles are more accurate than smoothbores because the spinning bullet doesn't allow a demon to gain purchase upon it.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2010, 07:13:13 AM »
Thanks, I had a great time.  I know what my new favorite shooting game is....

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2010, 07:47:09 AM »
By the way, has anyone got the results from the Grand Island shoot? 

Offline 20nickels

• NFOA Full Member
  • I've got your back
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2010, 05:59:46 PM »
Go to HPSP's website.  Left side "shoot results", multigun.  Loks like they havn't been updating it lately (grumble).  You will just have to check later.
http://www.grand-island.com/index.aspx?page=1031

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2010, 06:01:14 PM »
Check back in December........ HPSP is a great place, but they suck at posting results....

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2010, 07:44:46 PM »
Well, let's just assume I fell somewhere between "horrible" and dead last :D

Anyone going to the October shoot at ENGC?  I'm willing to carpool.