< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Last Chance in 2010 - Final Nebraska Appleseed in Lincoln, Nov 20/21  (Read 2778 times)

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman

Want to learn the story of April 19, 1775 and where and when the Revolutionary War began?  How would you like to learn to shoot more accurately using your rifle's sling than you can using a bench rest?  Want to learn the skills necessary to consistently hit targets out to 500 yards?  If you answered yes to any of those three questions, then this is your LAST chance to attend a Nebraska Appleseed this year.   

On November 20th and 21st, we'll be at the Lincoln Izaak Walton League Range; Details Here and Registration Here.

Registration for both Saturday and Sunday is only $70 - however, it is FREE for women, under 21s, active military, and active LEOs. 

Don't know what Appleseed is?  Well... Appleseed is a project initiated by the Revolutionary War Veterans Association, a 501.c3 nonprofit, that describes the program this way:

"Appleseed is a program that instructs Americans on the traditional rifle marksmanship skills that have been passed down from generation to generation, along with reconnecting today's Americans with the people and events of the Founding era. Participants are taught fundamental rifle marksmanship skills that are required to allow a Rifleman to be accurate out to 500 yards, with iron sights, standard rifle and surplus ammo. This is the traditional 'Rifleman's Quarter mile', which is an uniquely American Rifleman skill, that has been part of this nation from the very first days."

It's really an outstanding weekend where you'll get great marksmanship instruction and you'll hear the stories of the events that ignited the fire of revolution on April 19, 1775.  There have been quite a few NFOA members at the Appleseeds so far this year.  You may recognize some of them with their Rifleman patches in the After Action Reports from the April shoot out at Broken Bow, NE, the June shoot out at Lincoln, the July shoot out at Hastings, and the August shoot out at Grand Island.

Want to learn more about Appleseed or what you need to bring? After you've looked at those two pages, get registered online for a shoot. Heck get a buddy to register with you.  And bring your wife and kids, too!

Don't have a rifle yet? (unlikely considering present company here, but just in case...) On a tight budget? Take a look at a discussion on affordable Ruger 10/22 Liberty Training Rifles or Marlin 795 Liberty Training Rifles. (you will have to register for the RWVA forum to see those two threads; but if you choose not to do that, there's a limited discussion on this blog).

Hope to see you in a few weeks!

Zombie
"I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert Heinlein

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: Last Chance in 2010 - Final Nebraska Appleseed in Lincoln, Nov 20/21
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 05:09:10 PM »
Bump....we still have several slots open.  If you know someone who wants to attend but doesn't have a rifle I have a loaner they can use.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 09:57:58 PM »
I would be shooting a Ruger 10/22 if entering the Appleseed.

Question:    Is it open/iron sights only for the Appleseed or are telescopic sights OK/permitted?

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline gibbs459

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 06:52:25 AM »
Bring what you have! Appleseed will teach you to shoot what you have better! 10/22's are perfect! I would suggest bringing about 4 mag?s if you have them. The 10 rnd Ruger mags are great. Fit your rifle with a sling. Preferably a US GI web sling from an M1 Garand.

Appleseeds are the best place to learn all of the fundamentals. And break the bad habits you may already have. Before you know it. You will be shooting rifleman scores. There is no better feeling than that!

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 06:53:14 AM »
Scopes are fine.  The general rule is shoot what you have.  Learning the proper technique is much more important than equipment.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 10:53:44 AM »
bkoenig and gibbs459:

Thanks for the quick and clear feedback on the Appleseed sight issue.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Burnsy87

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 02:19:51 PM »
I doubt I'll have time to re-sight my rifle, I'm having the barrel chopped and pinned on my AR15 - which I'll be bringing, only rifle I own.  Will I have time to re-sight it before it all begins?

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 05:16:33 PM »
Not a problem Burnsy, bring your unsighted rifle with you!  Early in the course of fire on Saturday we'll be shooting sighter squares and have a thorough discussion on MOA to review how to make the calculations from inches on your target to minutes of angle to clicks on your sight/scope.   
"I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert Heinlein

Offline Supersparky

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 06:20:00 PM »
I don't see anything on the list about targets.  Am I right to assume they are provided?

Offline gibbs459

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 07:06:53 PM »
Yes, all targets will be provided. All you will need is your gear and a teachable attitude!

Oh, and 400-500 rounds for the weekend! :dink:

Offline Burnsy87

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 09:08:04 AM »
Not a problem Burnsy, bring your unsighted rifle with you!  Early in the course of fire on Saturday we'll be shooting sighter squares and have a thorough discussion on MOA to review how to make the calculations from inches on your target to minutes of angle to clicks on your sight/scope.   

Beautiful, thank you.  Was going to take to to Omaha Gun & Machine today, but I figured since I want an SBR, I was going to wait, go to Rob at Exeter and get the ATF forms for both the SBR and a suppressor started, so I won't be chopping it before the Appleseed.  Too bad I already took the ACOG off and have to resight it now, eh? haha

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2010, 02:35:36 PM »
Just signed up today. ;D

Offline Necede

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2010, 07:06:36 PM »
Wildgoose, I'm glad to here that. I'll see you there.

Necede
A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.         Sigmund Freud

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2010, 08:10:40 PM »
Good deal, I take it deer season went well?

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2010, 11:16:23 PM »
Outstanding!   ;D

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2010, 02:37:15 PM »
The lady and I will be there. Should be a good time! We'll be the couple shooting evil black rifles...  >:D

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2010, 07:21:43 PM »
Looks like it got cancelled guys. :( I won't lie and say I'm not really sad about that. But let's hope it gets rescheduled for a good time. I still very much want to go.

Offline predatorhunter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2010, 07:42:38 PM »
I got an email too! Maybe it will be rescheduled for the spring time so it'll be a little warmer out.
NRA Life Member!!!!

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2010, 09:12:14 PM »
Yup.  Sorry about that guys.  I talked to the range today and it's just too wet - there's about 3" of mud and we don't want to tear up the range walking back and forth between the firing and target lines all weekend long - especially after they put a lot of capital into grading and seeding when they installed the covered firing line last summer/fall.  We'll definitely get it rescheduled - it'll be before the spring!  ;)

And what's all this Summer Soldier and Sunshine Patriot stuff?  I actually had Winterseed patches to hand out to those who could shoot Rifleman if the conditions got unpleasant enough.  Take a look: http://appleseedinfo.org/winterseed.html

Offline predatorhunter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2010, 10:34:39 PM »
Well zombiehunter I'll probably still try to make it out to Ikes to do some shooting this weekend. It'll just be on the other ranges! ;)
NRA Life Member!!!!