< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Got my stamp!  (Read 5199 times)

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Got my stamp!
« on: March 24, 2011, 06:00:08 PM »
Approved 3/17, I mailed it on 12/18.  Looks like it's time to start assembling parts for my new SBR!

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
Re: Got my stamp!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 06:50:03 PM »
About 100 days....... Dang. Lets see, mine went in on 2/22 and was cashed on 3/9...... So I am guessing June if I'm lucky?

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 08:54:09 PM »
sweetness!!!

whats your upper/lower going to be?

im still waiting for the serbu.....
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 09:48:42 PM »
sweetness!!!

whats your upper/lower going to be?

im still waiting for the serbu.....

Spike's lower, with an MOE stock.  I'm building my own upper with a 6.8 SPC White Oak 12" barrel and MOE handguards.  It's a carbine length gas system but the handguards are mid-length, so they'll come almost to the end of the barrel.  I have a YHM front sight/gas block that will be used only for a sight and for holding the handguard retainer in place.  The real gas block will be a low profile unit under the handguards.

Not sure what I want to use for a muzzle device yet.  AR15 Performance makes a knock off of the BattleComp for 6.8.  It's a lot cheaper than a real BattleComp, too.  I'm leaning towards using that, or one of their tunable compensators. 

I went with 6.8 because I had convinced myself I needed a new deer rifle anyway, and I may get the opportunity to go hunt pigs in Texas one of these days.  6.8 out of a 12" barrel should be good out to 200-250 yards, which is the outer limit of where I would feel comfortable taking a shot at a deer anyway.

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 10:55:27 PM »
Sweet! F1s seem to have quicker turn arounds than F4s. Who was your examiner?
"I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert Heinlein

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 06:40:37 AM »
Sweet! F1s seem to have quicker turn arounds than F4s. Who was your examiner?

Jason Frushour. 

What's funny is for a while I was reading suppressors on Form 4's were turning around a lot quicker than SBR's and SBS's on Form 1's.  I guess it varies.

Offline Burnsy87

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 11:14:04 AM »
Nice, good for you.

Sent mine the week before Christmas, they finally cashed the check January 19, so well see.

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 11:28:25 AM »
Jason Frushour. 

What's funny is for a while I was reading suppressors on Form 4's were turning around a lot quicker than SBR's and SBS's on Form 1's.  I guess it varies.

I checked nfatracker.com and see that many examiners do both F1s and F4s, so now I'm thinking it has more to do with which examiner you get, how efficient they are, and how many forms they have ahead of you sitting on their desk. My check was cashed 14 weeks ago...  ::)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 11:33:22 AM by Wesley D »
"I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert Heinlein

Offline Burnsy87

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 02:55:37 PM »
Nice, good for you.

Sent mine the week before Christmas, they finally cashed the check January 19, so well see.

Ha, got mine today.

Approved March 7.. ATF must have walked it here.

I want a few copies of this.. do I have to have a full copy for the "present if ATF agent asks for it" stuff?  Or can I make it smaller?  Or does it just need to be the stamp thing they put on?

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 04:14:08 PM »
the peeps at ar15.com say keep the original in a fireproof safe and make a lot of copies and keep it with the firearm at all times.  i made a straight copy, just black and white.  the ar15.com peeps have made smaller copies that fit in, lets say an AR15 SBR pistol grip.  that way, they also have a copy with the firearm.  just make sure you can read it clearly.

if the ATF needs to see the real one, i know exactly where it is.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 05:49:59 PM »
The last part just came in.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 05:55:02 PM »
well i got two things:

1. that is sexy as hell.

2. with the gov't shut down, you kinda got lucky, but it has been approved for a bit.  too bad my Serbu still isn't here.  :(

Offline Burnsy87

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2011, 09:05:47 PM »
The last part just came in.

Good stuff man.. that a NiBo BCG?

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2011, 07:30:07 AM »
No, its just a standard YHM.  When it comes to bolts there are a few places that sell them for the 6.8 but I hear most of them are made by the same place anyway.

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 03:04:04 PM »
I am interested in an SBR but not sure it's worth it to spend $500+ on just the trust preparation. So am leaning toward a home-brew, but want to make certain it's solid, of course. Did those of you who have gone the trust route 'DIY' or have an attorney prepare it? If you did it,  did you include any NFA specific language?
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline Burnsy87

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2011, 04:16:55 PM »
I am interested in an SBR but not sure it's worth it to spend $500+ on just the trust preparation. So am leaning toward a home-brew, but want to make certain it's solid, of course. Did those of you who have gone the trust route 'DIY' or have an attorney prepare it? If you did it,  did you include any NFA specific language?

Talk to Rob @ www.Exeter-arms.com  He's a member here too, not sure how often he gets on.  He helped me with mine, and I'll use him again when I have the $$ for the suppressor I want.

http://exeter-arms.com/class_3_purchase_process  Great page on his site.

Once I get my Aimpoint, I'll post a pic of my 12.5" AR.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2011, 07:28:05 PM »

Rob charges a one-time fee of $50 to make a trust.  you can take it to a lawyer for a second opinion, if you want.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2011, 03:03:26 PM »
Ha, got mine today.

Approved March 7.. ATF must have walked it here.

HA! They must have low crawled: They can walk guns all the way to Mexico in less time than that!
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2011, 06:25:32 PM »
HA! They must have low crawled: They can walk guns all the way to Mexico in less time than that!

Zing! +1 for Jim!

Offline Burnsy87

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2011, 08:30:42 PM »

Ha, good one.

Ugh...