< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Anti-Gun Propaganda or Valuable use of Time?  (Read 4539 times)

Offline justsomeguy

• Defender of the Constitution
  • NFOA Full Member
Anti-Gun Propaganda or Valuable use of Time?
« on: March 28, 2011, 02:43:17 PM »
Just got this in an e-mail and something about it smells fishy. Judging by the speakers and topics of discussion it sounds like they are trying to discourage gun ownership.

Hit This Target: Gun Safety 
Keeping Handguns Safe & Lawful, and out of the Wrong Hands

Free Seminar April 7
6:30PM - 8:30PM

April 4 - 8 2011 is Public Health Week!  Join us for a FREE Seminar.
The Douglas County Health Department; the National Safety Council, Greater Omaha Chapter;  the City of Omaha and the US Attorneys Office  have partnered to provide information to the public on how to keep concealable firearms safe, lawful and out of the wrong hands.
 We offer this fast paced and free seminar to all on April 7th to provide guidance to handgun owners and users, along with those individuals interested in a way to recognize and prevent issues associated with concealable firearms by keeping both the firearms and users safe and legal.
Attendees will leave with the information, tools and education they need about concealable firearms.  Three experienced speakers will present on various topics surround gun ownership, use, and safety as well as what our government is doing. 

Speakers
Marty Conboy, Chief Prosecutor, Omaha City Prosecutor's Office
Local & Nebraska Laws on Concealable Firearms
 Marty Conboy speaks to the city's ordinances on purchase and ownership of handguns and other weapons, Omaha's open carry ordinance concerning handguns as well as Nebraska's Concealed Carry law.  He will discuss the types of cases his office prosecutes and what citizens can do to get, and stay legal with regard to the weapons they may own and use.

Ray Fidone, Project Safe Neighborhoods, Director of Operations for Nebraska
US Attorney's Office
Federal Intitiatives and Laws
Ray Fidone will bring information on the Project Safe Neighborhoods Presidential Program, how it impacts Omaha, what citizens can do to stop gun violence and potential gun violence as well as information on federal gun laws, and penalties.    He will also provide interesting statistics on local gun seizures and arrests.

Sgt. Jake Ritonya, Omaha Police Department
Safety in Handling & Use of Weapons
Sgt. Ritonya will bring information on safe gun handling, use, and storage as well as what to do If you or your child finds a weapon.  This informative presentation will provide demonstrations with real weapons which have been made safe for classroom use.  Knowing how to handle, hold, and store a weapon properly is a key element to gun safety.

Directions & Location
National Safety Council,
Greater Omaha Chapter
11620 M Circle
Omaha, NE 68137
I-80 Exit 445, I-680 Exit 1,
near 120th & L Streets
6:30PM - 8:30PM April 7, 2011

"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit. The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are." - Marcus Aurelius

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
Re: Anti-Gun Propaganda or Valuable use of Time?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 02:54:41 PM »
If I go, will they disarm me?

Offline justsomeguy

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 02:56:18 PM »
Greater Omaha Safety Council is posted.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit. The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are." - Marcus Aurelius

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 03:01:42 PM »
Just got this in an e-mail and something about it smells fishy. Judging by the speakers and topics of discussion it sounds like they are trying to discourage gun ownership.

I guess I dont see it, how do any of the listed topics of discussion discourage gun ownership?

- Shawn
"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 04:39:46 PM »
I think Chris Zeeb needs to be the 4th speaker. You know, just so some accurate info gets included with all the other BS.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline omaharj

• social catalyst
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 05:00:40 PM »
As far as I know,Chris won't enter Omaha.  Rick, check your messages.
RJ

Offline justsomeguy

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 11:12:43 PM »
I guess I dont see it

They don't say it overtly, but like I said
Judging by the speakers and topics of discusion

Hmm... A city prosecutor and a Federal prosecutor dedicated solely to prosecuting "gun crimes"(are you familiar with project safe neighborhoods?) giving a lecture on "gun safty". ::)

Maybe it's just me but I think they could have chosen someone with a different perspective. Maybe someone who carries a gun for a living?

Just for reference  http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=117223

and    http://www.cato.org/pub_display.php?pub_id=3486
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 11:16:34 PM by justsomeguy »

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 07:26:24 AM »

They don't say it overtly, but like I said ...

Hmm... A city prosecutor and a Federal prosecutor dedicated solely to prosecuting "gun crimes"(are you familiar with project safe neighborhoods?) giving a lecture on "gun safety". ::)

Maybe it's just me but I think they could have chosen someone with a different perspective. Maybe someone who carries a gun for a living?

Just for reference  http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=117223

and    http://www.cato.org/pub_display.php?pub_id=3486

So...you have never heard them say they are against gun ownership, but because one aspect of their job is to prosecute gun crimes you assume they are?

I, for one, dont believe in coddling criminals. If you commit a crime you should be prosecuted and punished. Gun crimes are no different. I'm thinking if you had any questions about local or state gun laws these would be the people to ask. BTW I know Jake and he does carry a gun for a living and is more than qualified to speak on gun safety.

As far as your references Id like to see something that isnt 10yrs old. Project Safe Neighborhoods was effective in reducing gun crimes until the funding ran out and the cities could no longer afford the extra prosecutors.  Give me a recent example of someone you know personally who was needlessly prosecuted under Project Safe Neighborhoods.

- Shawn

"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 08:07:49 AM »
OPD and the Omaha City Prosecutors office have shown time after time that they are opposed to private ownership(and the carrying thereof) of handguns by the unwashed masses. 

I have absolutely no interest in anything they have to say.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 09:16:34 AM »
Isn't the Nebraska Safety Council the organization that offers CHP training, but gives out a bunch of false information in their classes to discourage people from actually carrying?  If they're the ones I'm thinking of I would consider them a false flag organization and would assume this is just a cover to spread anti-concealed carry propaganda.

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 10:08:42 AM »
I believe Conboy is the very reason for the AG interpreting the carry laws in Nebraska, thus requiring a new law exempting law abiding citizens from having their God given rights removed in Omaha.  And isn't he the same that keeps Omaha registering handguns for citizens without CCW permits. I think that is reason enough to not waste time going to this anti meeting of the mindless of Omaha.

Offline justsomeguy

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 12:26:23 PM »
As far as your references Id like to see something that isnt 10yrs old.

How's this?

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people

Project safe neighborhoods does not have the authority to exist.

BTW I didn't question Jakes qualifications.

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 12:50:30 PM »
Justsomeguy, you found it, it has been missing it for a lot of years! Now, maybe they can freshen up on it and get things right for a change.

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 12:53:56 PM »
[quote author=sjwsti link=topic=3468.msg25799#msg25799 date=1301401584  Give me a recent example of someone you know personally who was needlessly prosecuted under Project Safe Neighborhoods.
- Shawn
[/quote]

Still waiting.

And whether you agree or disagree with the positions either of the speakers has taken on gun law this sounds like an opportunity to get  info straight from the people whose opinions matter (again, whether you like it or not).

There are many govt officials whose opinions I dont agree with. But when what they do has a direct effect on me and my family I like to pay attention to what they say.

Or I guess I could just rely on the advice of anonymous posters on obscure internet forums.

- Shawn 

www.88tactical.com

Offline justsomeguy

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2011, 01:05:14 PM »
Someone I know? Sorry, I don't associate with criminals.

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2011, 01:21:33 PM »
You mean like the OC and CC laws that Omaha ignored? Go ahead and play with your friends in Omaha. The friends you protect has a lot to do with your credibility and respect in front of others.

And don't forget, OPD wants metal detectors at HS sporting events to keep CCW carriers out.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2011, 01:25:47 PM »
It seems to me that even if this is some kind of ulterior attempt to undermine concealed carry we would be well served to attend it.   If they do present false information having someone there who can counter them with facts and a calm, polite, thoughtful response would go a long ways.  I don't trust Conboy either and I wouldn't doubt if he uses this as a way to further Omaha's antigun agenda.

If it turns out that this isn't an attack on concealed carry it may turn into a good recruiting tool.

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2011, 02:11:00 PM »
You mean like the OC and CC laws that Omaha ignored? Go ahead and play with your friends in Omaha. The friends you protect has a lot to do with your credibility and respect in front of others.

And don't forget, OPD wants metal detectors at HS sporting events to keep CCW carriers out.

Are you actually reading what Im posting? Not sure were you get Im trying to "protect" anyone. The only one of the three Ive ever met is Jake and I know he can take care of himself.

Since these are the guys whose legal opinions we have to be concerned about, I think you ignore them at your own peril. Ignorance of the law is never an excuse. My personal opinions, and yours for that matter, about the law really dont matter at all.

Not sure what metal detectors at HS sporting events has to do with this discussion. But with the large gang presence at many OPD schools, along with episodes of violence at HS events, Im sure the only reason for these detectors is to catch CCW holders violating the law.

And you are certainly welcome to call my credibility into question, this is only the internet afterall. And for all you know I could be a 12y/o girl posting during breaks from playing Call of Duty.

But seriously, take it down a notch. Here, maybe a smiley face will make you feel better ;D

- Shawn

www.88tactical.com

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2011, 08:02:40 PM »
One way or the other, maybe it wouldn't be  a bad idea for a group of NFOA members show up for this thing. If they are pushing anti-gun agenda, our presence could not only bother them a bit and if discussion is allowed, the wind could be taken out of their sails with these silly things called  facts.
Now on the flipside, if they are truly bent on safety and keeping guns out of the bad guys' hands, we could back them up, showing we are not just a bunch of gun nuts, that we too believe in responsible gun ownership and useage.
I am not a good candidate for witty dialouge, but I would be willing to show in support.
Is there any of our Lobbying guys that would want to put a little trip together to this thing?
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2011, 09:23:41 PM »
I know for a fact someone will be there to monitor what they are saying.... And heck, lets keep an open mind, there may be some good info to learn from them.

I don't think it would be a good idea to walk in there with the intent of setting them straight..... Let them make their presentation..... But I will say if they are presenting false information to the public, there will be some complaints made to their superiors to set them straight.

On a side note someone above mentioned Safety & Health Council Instructors giving false information...... not sure if that is the case or not.... But I can tell you that one of them was signing off on individuals Utah concealed firearm permit applications telling students that all they had to do was send it in. These students were not happy at all when Utah rejected their applications because the Instructor in question was not, and still is not certified by the state of Utah. Then they had to come pay for another class in order to get their Utah permit.