< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: What will you do?...  (Read 6118 times)

Offline KGillen

• NFOA Full Member
What will you do?...
« on: May 16, 2011, 10:24:50 AM »
Seems to me that the economy isn't going to get any better, atleast not anytime soon. The monetization of debt by the federal reserve + Congress and the administration leaving it unchecked = runaway inflation. Now I'm not trying to say that the end of the world is coming, but I do feel strongly that when $1000 won't buy you a loaf of bread, some bad stuff is going to transpire e.g. mobs roaming the streeets looting etc etc... All of this, AND they are trying to take away our right to defend ourselves (proposed high cap mag ban, reinstating AWB et al). I want to say now, that I am in NO way trying to subvert anything, or anyone, but really have all of you considered these things? I have lost sleep over it. The next election is a  yearish away and the front runners don't seem to have the answers, to me anyhow.

I am stocking up on ammo, started recently, I've got 10k rounds of .22 (because rabbit will do in a pinch), and I'm as quicly as possible (without my wife taking my credit card), building my stock of .223, 9x19, .357 and 12 gauge shells (for larger game/home defense). I also purchased a lg deep freeze and am planning on stocking it to the brim with mre's (should last atleast 10 years). I'm working on lg cap water vessels, to store enough potable water to ride out a few weeks if times get rough. I'm sure I sound like a paranoid whack-job, but the world is a scary place right now, and I don't think a lot of people see what could very possibly happen in the not so distant future.

Lemme know if you think I've lost it, or share your plan, I'm always looking for new ideas, and short of digging a bomb shelter I think I'm doing what I feasibly can to take steps to protect my family.
"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

Offline Ram Ringer

• NFOA Full Member
Re: What will you do?...
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 11:28:46 AM »
I too am trying prepare what I can when I can. My main decisions when the time comes if it does is to stay put here in Lincoln or head South to Kansas where my family is. I guess it depends on what is happening at that time in the future. I started reading a series of novels a while back (just finished book six of about 30). Called "Out of the Ashes", they are a little out dated because they start out being set in the 1980's. But it is a little scary that you could put everything the author wrote in the first book into todays world. This leads to a nuclear war. In short the Author writes about things that could happen after the Govt. collaspes. It also has a kick butt group of people that will help out those that will help themselves, but the hell with ya if you won't.

Sorry I know I got off topic, my only point in mentioning it is that it really makes you think as to what the world might look like if everything we know collapses. He doesn't hold back on the graphic details.

Galen
"The Most Important Political Office Is That Of The Private Citizen"  Louis Brandeis

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 12:26:56 PM »
i've actually thought about this and talked to my friends and wife about what if's.  my wife thinks im crazy, but my guy friends think its a great idea.  if i can, im gonna hunker down and get ready with some friends, prepare (grab things and load up the trucks/jeeps) and then head north where all of our families live.

stuff i am collecting are ammo, food, water, med kits, gas (kept in garage - i tell my wife its for our mower :)) go-bags and anything else i need in a pinch.

whatever you do, make sure you have a plan and supplies and the smarts to carry out or change your plan.  walking/driving/weather/health conditions.  there are way too many variables to plan for everything, but i think if you plan for something its better than not being prepared at all.

i also try to prepare myself for not just the gov't crashing, but other things like no phone/internet or power, invading countries, terrorist attacks, dirty bombs, etc. etc. etc.

now you must think im crazy.  ;)
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline KGillen

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 12:50:04 PM »
No crazier than I  :D I'm kinda bummed, my grandfather sold his acerage outside of Morse Bluff...plentiful deer and varmint, fields surrounded by trees for private crops, a never ending well (tapped into the underground portion of the Platte). That was always my back-up plan, at this point not sure what I'd do after the first week or so of serious trouble. I keep telling my fiancee that if we win the lottery we are spending every last cent as fast as we can while the dollar still has any value...acerage far enough away not to matter, fuel/ammo/food/water bunker...etc. She thinks I'm nuts but she is coming around.
"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 12:58:04 PM »
yes, winning the lottery would rock!  i could make a fortification and that would be sweet!
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline KGillen

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 03:58:23 PM »
Any currency influx in my life would go towards buying physical gold and building a house in the woods.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 04:30:35 PM »
I am slowly trying to build supplies, although a little tought to do in my current appartment situation :( .  And like Ramringer, I plan on heading south into Kansas should the SHTF, after grabbing my kids (child custody laws and the ex be damned, I'm are going were we have a chance to survive!) 
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 05:28:08 PM »
My plan requires a silenced .22lr pistol and friends with an adequate supply.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 10:01:33 PM by David Hineline »
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 06:13:27 PM »
I'll be riding with Hineline to KGillen's house for dinner after we look up his URL...... :)

Offline KGillen

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 06:29:09 PM »
I'll be riding with Hineline to KGillen's house for dinner after we look up his URL...... :)
was it the rabbit or the mre's? You are all welcome to come for dinner lol

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 07:02:19 PM »
I think most of us are a little nuts, and most of us won't post, because we don't want everyone else to think that we are.

No fear of getting invaded. Way too many weapons in the hands of civilians, and the bad guys know this.

My fear is that we will get caught with an EMP device, or some hacker taking out the electric grid. A few years back, there was a story of some hacker that got into the controlls at the TVA or Ohio power grids.
Not sure which. The story went on to say that someone got in, poked around, may or may not have left a trojan. Think it might have been the N. Koreans or Chinese. They never found out who.

The internet changed the way to create havoc. Ciber warfare will allow society to collapse from within. The bad guys will only have to sit back and watch, then come and pick up any loose pieces.

IMOP from another nut. :o
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 07:12:18 PM »
Bug out? shelter in place?   I think as in war, once the bullets start flying the plans change pretty rapidly.

So, my plan is to be as adaptable as possible. I am rather fortunate that I have spent a lifetime in the auto repair business and there is not much I can't repair on my own. I was a long time Boy Scout and learned the value of preparedness and hard work.

What will I do? Part of the plan was to get as familiar with the tools of self defense as I am with the tools I use everyday. Can you fix your own firearms, make your own ammo, plant your own garden, dress a deer or a turkey, sharpen a knife or an axe? rewire your house, build a new house?

Do you have skills that will keep you in the game after the first plan falls apart?  If not I would highly recommend that you start learnin'
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 08:20:01 PM »
I plan to curl up in the fetal position while crying like a little girl.

Seriously, Dan has a good point.  Knowing how to be self reliant is very important.  I may punch keyboards for a living now but I grew up on a farm and learned how to work with my hands.  I've always figured the family farm is an option to escape to if things ever got too bad.  As long as roving bands of Mad Max style barbarians don't run us off I'll always be able to keep my family fed.  Personally, I don't worry too much about it other than trying to keep some emergency supplies on hand.  I figure if things ever get really bad and society truly breaks down then all bets are off.

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 11:48:10 PM »
having grown up in the mountains on the east coast, I'm with BK and Dan.  the collapse of modern society will simply be viewed by me as another fun challenge.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 07:57:24 AM »
"We can skin a buck and run a trotline...and a country boy can survive...."  Hank, Jr. 

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2011, 08:16:53 AM »
"We can skin a buck and run a trotline...and a country boy can survive...."  Hank, Jr. 

With " a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive"
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline KGillen

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2011, 12:50:57 PM »
I've got the Army field survival manual...waterproof pages, gotta love it...  :laugh:

Offline altheman2

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2011, 07:57:37 PM »
another point to add is the more skills you learn the more you don't have to pay to have someone fix your problem. Look at how much it costs to hire an electrician, plumber, car mechanic, framer, drywaller, etc. I bought a fixer upper as my first house and i don't even wanna know how much it would of cost to do hire the work out, drive a 91 Chevy and only had to take it to the mechanics twice now. The more skills you learn the more money you save. And when SHTF you have money in your pocket (if its worth something) and skills in your head, and if S doesn't HTF more money in your pocket.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2011, 08:56:52 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I definitely don't view some sort of societal collapse as fun.  It would probably be the worst thing that ever happened to me and definitely the most challenging.  Anyone who harbors post apocalyptic fantasies probably needs their head examined.  I've worked too hard to want to see everything I've accomplished so far in life be wiped out by looters or seized by the government.

Zombies, on the other hand, would be awesome.

Offline GunFun

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2011, 01:11:22 AM »
another point to add is the more skills you learn the more you don't have to pay to have someone fix your problem. Look at how much it costs to hire an electrician, plumber, car mechanic, framer, drywaller, etc. I bought a fixer upper as my first house and i don't even wanna know how much it would of cost to do hire the work out, drive a 91 Chevy and only had to take it to the mechanics twice now. The more skills you learn the more money you save. And when SHTF you have money in your pocket (if its worth something) and skills in your head, and if S doesn't HTF more money in your pocket.

Self-reliance is definitely the issue when it comes to any kind of survival situation, no matter what the cause. You'd better be able to make fire, purify water, get food, and build a shelter by yourself.