< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Any motorcycle riders in here?  (Read 10393 times)

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Any motorcycle riders in here?
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2010, 09:50:09 PM »
Kim and I ride our old shovel head as much as we can. We flew down to Florida in April for a work related convention with another couple. Well, the convention was not as interesting as we had hoped, so we played hookie one day and rented two Harleys from one of the Orlando dealers and rode over to the gulf coast and back. 300 miles on a new Fatboy an Street Glide. Had the time of our lives. Well, at the dealership, both Kim and I as well as our friends spotted bikes that we both fell in love with, and to make a long story short, we both ended up buying Harleys in Orlando. We bought a Heritage and our friends bought a Springer. Being the spur of the moment, live by the seat of our pants kind of folks we are, we stuffed as much of our clothes into our saddle bags as we could, shipped the rest home, and rode our new to us Harleys 2000 miles back to Nebraska. We took an extra 5 days, and took our time getting home. We only rode interstates when we had to. We rode through Tennessee lenghth wise east to west on beautiful two lane roads, and spent an entire day in the Ozarks winding through some of the best scenery of our trip.

We had an amazing time, the trip of a lifetime for all of us actually.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2010, 09:54:23 PM »
Jay I heard your friend was in a crash...are they OK
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2010, 10:12:17 PM »
Yeah, a couple of weeks ago we were able to sneak out of work for a little while on a Sunday. There were four couples in our group.

It was a really bad, really freak deal. In a section of road construction, where the lanes were uneven, Kim's brother caught the edge of the lip just right and it sent them down HARD. They were not drunk, and not screwing around, just changed lanes at the wrong time in the wrong place I guess.

My bro in law broke some ribs and suffered some pretty bad road rash. His wife suffered a punctured lung, a bruised brain (minimal swelling fortunately), severe road rash, and pretty much just got the heck beat out of her all over. She was in intensive care for several days. Looking at their helmets, I am going to say that I don't believe they would be with us today if they were not wearing them.

They are both out of the hospital now and slowly recovering.

I'll tell you what, seeing what I saw that day has really changed my outlook on wearing a helmet.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2010, 10:20:22 PM »
Yes I know that full faced Bell I wore was hotter than hell, but the two times I had to lay my Goldwing  down,  I was damn glad for case saver bars and a good helmet.

Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline greg58

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2010, 10:40:52 PM »
I know what you mean about a full faced helmet, I have tried on the 1/2 helmets and feel like there is just not enough protection there for me. My buddies all wear those, and t-shirts when they ride, and I am all bundled up in a leather jacket, boots, and gloves.
I just cringe when I see young people riding in shorts, sandals, and a tank top. Skin loses when it meets concrete.

Greg58
Pants Up!  Don't Loot!

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2010, 08:02:13 AM »
Well, the KLR650 will be going down the road to a new owner(soon, I hope) and is being replaced by this:

1983 Interstate with 64,000 miles.  It needs a little TLC, but is in darn good shape for being nearly 30 years old.  MUCH smoother ride than the KLR, though it probably won't be nearly as much fun in traffic or on gravel roads.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Jesse T

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • XD Shooter
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2010, 12:49:20 PM »
Cool bike! If you're looking for a buyer for the KLR, I may be interested, have you changed it at all since you got it last year?
N0ZXR

Offline omaharj

• social catalyst
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2010, 05:43:33 PM »
Oddly enough, my first post here is not about firearms, but motorcycles.  Weird.  I have two bikes, a 1979 Suzuki GS 750 and a 1978 Suzuki GS 750 that is a sort of on again, off again "turn it into a sort of cafe racer style" project bike. 

As for helmets, do whatever you want (IMO) but I'm going to keep wearing a full face all the time.  Even when over in Iowa.  My face is too pretty to mess up.  At least that's what I tell the wife.  Not sure if she agrees or not.
If this is Blake, I think we went on a GS ride about 4 years ago. I had a GS 1100 at the time. I'm riding a BMW 1100 RT as my daily rider now. Still have a couple others that I play with but use the Beemer as regular transportation.
   As far as helmets,helmet laws are a civil rights issue,wearing a helmet is a safety issue. I wear all the gear all the time. That's MY personal decision.   RJ
  BTW- if Hermit ISN'T Blake you have some great bikes. I'm a fan of the old school 4 cylinder Zukes.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2010, 06:34:27 PM »
Newbie rider here. Recently purchased a not quite brand new 82 Maxim 650.  :tool: great (cheap) transportation. Got my license on second try.  Now I don't feel so out of place with the PGR. I had all kinds of excuses and reasons for getting a bike, but , like firearms, need really has nothing to do with it, I just wanted a big boy's bike!

“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Hermit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2010, 09:25:42 PM »
omaharj, yes, that's me!  Great memory!  I remember that ride fondly.  The only bike that wouldn't start after lunch was the modern bike (GSX 750), heh.  Well, it wasn't funny for the owner....

I actually haven't been to the GSresources in ages....in fact, I think my user id and all that has expired.  I still have the bike(s) but haven't ridden much this summer, I'm a frail and delicate flower and hate the heat like we've had most of the summer.

Offline Josjor

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2010, 06:34:45 AM »
Been riding all my life, so it seems.  Currently I have an '08 KLR and plan on keeping it for quite a while.  I love the swiss-army-knife capabilities of it.  Previously I've owned mainly Kawasaki Concours' and did two Iron Butt Association rides on them: 1000 miles in 24 hours and 1,500 miles in 36 hours.

As for the helmet laws:  Yeah, it probably should be a personal choice.  But I would only support a repeal of it that INCLUDES an iron clad way of enforcing additional insurance on those that choose not to wear a helmet.  I don't want to pay for a lifelong vegetative state because of someone elses decision not to wear.

Frankly, I think the choice not to wear protective gear is natural selection at work, a refining of the species that helps weed out the unintelligent from future reproduction.

Offline gwilly

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2010, 09:55:54 PM »
Yeah my first post on a gun forum.....bike related....it was bound to happen. 8)
I've ridden numerous bikes over the years. I traded the '98 Valkyrie that I had since it was new on a '09 Road King this spring.....& been having a blast all summer! Last month us & another couple did a lap around Lake Michigan on it & their Victory Vision......helmets & leather included.
Turns out that the empty nest is kind of a fun spot to be in!

...Josjor......I did a 1000 mile Iron Butt Bun Burner on the Valk a couple of years ago. Now I've got an excuse to step up to the next level!.......my tag....

Now that the ice is broken I might just show up on another thread or two!

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2014, 07:56:48 AM »
this thread needs a bump.

the new project: 1983 Kawasaki GPz1100 with 28k on the clock.
It has multiple problems, but I couldn't pass it up for $300 with a good title.   8)

« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 05:17:18 PM by FarmerRick »
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline barmandr

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2014, 09:39:22 AM »
My current scoot...

Offline landon410

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2014, 10:20:52 AM »
sold me last bike when I bought my house, no longer have a motorcycle, but I have kitchen appliances....

had a '06 Harley XLR1200 that I did some custon paint on, changed seat handlebars, got rid of tach etc.
pictures of sportster were from when I was changing the gas tank, so its not even bolted on in the pictures.

before that had 02 Victory TC, hard bags windshield etc, great cusing bike sat kind of high though
only found 1 picture of Victory and its just the paint I put on the tank
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 10:25:05 AM by landon410 »

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2014, 02:41:46 PM »
I have no bike currently, but most of y'all remember what happened the last time I did.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2014, 04:35:02 PM »
Mine without the saddlebags and rear bag on. and a new one with the bags and some other mods.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 04:52:18 PM by 00BUCK »

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2014, 05:07:19 PM »
I realized I didn't have a shot of the new(ish) one. 
08 Vulcan Classic LT all dressed up for Memorial Day.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2014, 06:46:37 PM »
Pretty cute scooters.     How many CCs are those ?

Mine is maybe a bit heavier at 1100 pounds, but the 5700 CC engine is a lot of fun. 

http://youtu.be/rt5cNJyqWBo?list=UUr0TMbvXxVlab_2AdEkCRGg
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 06:49:05 PM by Gary »

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2014, 08:31:13 PM »
Oh sure, Gary, You just had to break out the beast, didn't ya?