< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Any motorcycle riders in here?  (Read 10394 times)

Offline Jesse T

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • XD Shooter
Any motorcycle riders in here?
« on: January 17, 2009, 04:05:14 PM »
Interesting proposed law this year in the legislature...

http://www.nebraskalegislature.gov/FloorDocs/Current/PDF/Intro/LB200.pdf

Basically exempts you from wearing a helmet on a motorcycle if you are over age 21.  Also makes it illegal to be riding at any time without eye protection. 

This is particularly of interest to me because I often ride with my full face helmet on, but with the visor up (particularly in nice warm weather). I guess I will have to get some safety glasses or wear my oakleys that i have for the range when riding. 

Thoughts?
N0ZXR

Offline USN Retired

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Any motorcycle riders in here?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 09:02:55 PM »
I grew up in Kansas where you only had to wear eye protection after a certain age and did a lot of riding that way. Since joining the Navy I have been required to wear a helmet and wouldn't ride without one. I also ride with full gear (boots, jacket, jeans, etc). Been stationed in a lot of big cities and have seen, read, watched news about a lot of people going down. If you want to ride without that's your business but I don't think that the insurance, hospital, state or anyone should be required to pay for your brain-dead dumb butt if you go down. As I said, your business, just don't expect "us" to pay. If they put that in the bill I'd be all for it.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. -unknown

Offline Jesse T

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • XD Shooter
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 09:29:33 PM »
I'd agree, I also don't ride without gear after being down twice myself. 
N0ZXR

Hatchet1961

More Goverment Bull!
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 12:06:34 AM »
So would it be fair to say that the two of you are not members of A.B.A.T.E.
http://www.abateofne.com/

Forcing a motorcyclist to wear a helmet is like;

That is kind of like you can carry a pistol but must wear a flak jacket.

Can go to the beach but must cover all of your skin, including your face.

Can drive a car but must wear a five point safety harness.

I drag race one of my bikes, and yes have all leather racing suit and Snell 2005 Approved Helmet.
More than the track requires.

Also have a broken wing patch, went down hard with my safety gear I survived.

We have much greater threats to our country's economic situation than to worry about if a rider got hurt with or without a helmet.
Before the hospital treats the rider.
How about no treatment for illegal aliens.

In the USA hospitals cannot refuse treatment on status be it insurance, race, residency or helmet on.
No discrimination period.

Amazing how so many of us grew up riding a bicycle with no helmet, shared a bottle of Coca-Cola, we all drank from the same water hose, had big wheels (not I but some), played out side, had dirt claude fights, fist fought and shook hands when finished then often became friends.

Do you really think that we need more government?

Let those who ride decide.     

It is already law for eye protection and one mirror. Don't ride with your visor up at speed, bad bad.
One bug and you could be down, and hurt helmet or not especially with a powerful crouch rocket.
The visor of your helmet is considered eye protection, just do not open it completely, common sense.                                                         

Edited because of spelling.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 12:40:10 AM by Hatchet1961 »

Offline USN Retired

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 10:37:16 PM »
I never said that I was for more, bigger, government. I want the government to turn more power over to the states as it should be.  But I do believe that I shouldn't have to pay for your (that's the royal "your") screw up. I don't believe in subsidies, bailouts, extended welfare (it should be a hand up, not a hand out), or allowing illegal?s to receive the benefit of honest peoples labors. If they want to come to the US let them come in the correct, legal way like they should. I have no problem letting those who ride decide; just don't make us pay for it. You see these riders with a tank top or no shirt, shorts, flip flops and riding like complete idiots swerving through traffic like they are daring fate. I don?t want to pay for their mistake with higher insurance rates. Then some POS lawyer talks them or one of their family members into filing a BS lawsuit asking for damages from everyone from the state for some fault with the road, the bike maker, any car within 100 yards, etc. But, I digress. I am a simple man; I believe that you take responsibility for your actions and pay your debts. Do you remember back in high school basketball when you fouled someone you were required to raise your hand to say "it was me"? Do they even require that anymore? It's a small thing but it taught us to raise our hand and say I'm responsible for that! DO I SMELL SOAP!? Enough of my rant, NEXT!!
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. -unknown

Hatchet1961

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 12:20:03 AM »
I never said that I was for more, bigger, government. Do they even require that anymore? It's a small thing but it taught us to raise our hand and say I'm responsible for that! DO I SMELL SOAP!? Enough of my rant, NEXT!!
Slow down take a deep breath.
More laws are more government federal or state. What is required is insurance if they give you a discount for signing a piece of paper stating that I will wear a DOT approved helmet or my insurance is void fine.
I am in agreement with you on the not from my taxes or raising my insurance angle, completely.
My hand is up ref.

I also have seen to many motorcycle accidents and fatalities while being a EMT for ten years.

Gotta go to much soap in the dish washer.
Bubbles all over the house.

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 04:03:38 PM »
I have had bikes all my life, but happen to be in between bikes right now. When I ride (on the street), I cross the river so I can ride without my hat, but I will never ride without eye protection again. With no helmet, the only person I will ever hurt is myself. I took a junebug in the eye back when I was in High School just a mile from my house and that was about my last day on this earth. The pain was unreal. I still remember it distinctly. My eyes instantly watered up (both of them) and I could not open them no matter how hard I tried. I ended up crossing the yellow line and ended up in the ditch on the opposite side of the road. It's embarrassing to admit that a bug in my eye took me off my bike, but a junebug directly into your eyeball at 60 mph is something I never want to experience again. Thank God no one was coming at me in the other lane.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 04:07:52 PM by Jay »

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 04:59:26 PM »
I have had bikes all my life, but happen to be in between bikes right now. When I ride (on the street), I cross the river so I can ride without my hat, but I will never ride without eye protection again. With no helmet, the only person I will ever hurt is myself. I took a junebug in the eye back when I was in High School just a mile from my house and that was about my last day on this earth. The pain was unreal. I still remember it distinctly. My eyes instantly watered up (both of them) and I could not open them no matter how hard I tried. I ended up crossing the yellow line and ended up in the ditch on the opposite side of the road. It's embarrassing to admit that a bug in my eye took me off my bike, but a junebug directly into your eyeball at 60 mph is something I never want to experience again. Thank God no one was coming at me in the other lane.

I had a plump juicy one hit me in the forehead while going about 75 mph about 15 years ago, I can't imagine the pain from getting hit in the eye. You're lucky you still have an eye.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 06:33:24 PM »
I lived on a  "76 Goldwing for a few years back in the mid seventies...always wore a Bell full faced helmet back then....But I tend to support whatever makes the people FREE to live their lives as they choose, until that freedom interferes with mine. So I find myself unable to support the denial of freedoms, even those that I detest (I won't mention them here) lest the same be done to me by others that find my lifestyle detestable.

I like the old NRA bumper sticker phrase...VOTE FREEDOM FIRST !
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline oldbikewrench

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 10:26:10 PM »
I ride and been at it for 30 plus years. My wife rides and so does her now 73 year old dad. This past fall I took my nearly 4 year old for her first ride. She dug it hard!
Anyway I am for helmets, like real helmets not chilli bowls, 1/2 and 3/4 helmets are acceptable. And the reason I am that way is because I do not care to pay for someone elses medical bills. I like to help folks out but I would like to be asked first. A lot of riders/owners do not even have a motorcycle license let alone insurance. If that person gets hurt and they have no insurance guess who pays for it, not to mention the bad rap the other riders take because of it. Just like when there is a gun related accident. Doesn't matter what the facts are all guns are bad or that seems to be what a lot of non gun owners think.
If there was a way to keep uninsured/unlicensed folks off of bikes then that would be different. Though I would still wear my full face helmets.

“Kid don’t quit talkin’ so much he’ll get his tongue sunburned”
Foghorn Leghorn

Offline PhilK

• NFOA Full Member
  • xxx
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 10:25:28 AM »

I ride and been at it for 30 plus years. My wife rides and so does her now 73 year old dad. This past fall I took my nearly 4 year old for her first ride. She dug it hard!
Anyway I am for helmets, like real helmets not chilli bowls, 1/2 and 3/4 helmets are acceptable. And the reason I am that way is because I do not care to pay for someone elses medical bills. I like to help folks out but I would like to be asked first. A lot of riders/owners do not even have a motorcycle license let alone insurance. If that person gets hurt and they have no insurance guess who pays for it, not to mention the bad rap the other riders take because of it. Just like when there is a gun related accident. Doesn't matter what the facts are all guns are bad or that seems to be what a lot of non gun owners think.
If there was a way to keep uninsured/unlicensed folks off of bikes then that would be different. Though I would still wear my full face helmets.

Mine are: 1999 XL1200S, 2002 "put it together myself" rigid, 2004 GL1800

Is that a V65 Magna the lady is astride?  I always loved how fast those were.

Offline oldbikewrench

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 03:56:00 PM »
Yes that is or was my wifes V65 MAGNA. When we decided to start adding to the family we sold it. And that was 5 years ago.
Are children are now 4 years and the youngest is 21 months old. And we are stopping there. So my wife will start riding again this year. We are looking for a bike that she likes, of course none of mine or what I like is what she likes.
But first there is a Taurus Judge for her in the immediate future.
“Kid don’t quit talkin’ so much he’ll get his tongue sunburned”
Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 03:21:05 PM »
Found a couple pics of our old ratrods. We had to sell them a while back when things were real tight, but I hope to back in the saddle so to speak by next summer. This has been the longest I have ever been without a bike, and I don't like it.

My Dyna Lowrider that I had the evolution built in, then cut up and spray painted. Kinda made a death trap out of it (it was screaming fast for an evo), but that is my style. It sure was purty when I bought it, but I took care of that right away.  8)

Kim's CB550. It was already ratty when we bought it, we just helped it along.

I'll spare you the tons of pics of all my old dirt bikes...

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2009, 08:26:06 PM »
 this was 30 years ago.... i feel old
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 09:39:23 PM by Dan W »
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Kim

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 08:38:46 AM »
Oh the flat black rattle can days.........makes me all misty remembering  ;D

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2009, 09:44:43 AM »
Hey, Kim, there is a guy on craigslist with a couple old shovels...  8)  8)

tonopah

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2009, 03:51:40 PM »
I have a xr650 l and love it. I won`t ride with out a helmet and face shield. I caught one of those big yellow and black killer bees on the forehead back when I was 16, I was on my old sl 350 on the south river road. Man that hurt.

Offline SBarry

• Former BOD, NFOA Volunteer , NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award Winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2009, 05:07:50 PM »
I ride a 03 BMW R1100S, Titan Silver, with a tall windshield, and have hard cases for it. My next bike will be a BMW GS. We go on a few poker runs during the summer, one in Kansas. We don't use a helmet down there, unless part of the trip is in Nebraska.

Let those who ride decide. I love the feeling of riding without a helmet, but I know the risks. Do the insurance companies pay for the smokers who have cancer? The sun bather with skin cancer? The football player who blows a knee? The bullrider who breaks an ankle? If you pay for the insurance, damn right they should pay when you need it.

I hate being told to wear my seat belt, that should be my decision, not the State of Nebraska's. What next, all guns must be equipped with a trigger lock when not in use?  
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 10:55:07 AM by LitlRat »
The sheep don't like this sheepdog until the wolves start working the flock.

Offline Jesse T

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • XD Shooter
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2009, 08:14:30 AM »
What next, all guns must be equipped with a trigger lock when not in use? 

Dont give them any more ideas...

LB200 (the helmet law changes) had a hearing in march but I don't think it has advanced any.  Have not talked to any senators about it either but never hurts to push a little..
N0ZXR

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2009, 10:42:08 PM »
I used to ride a Buell.  Now my disposable income is less disposable, and I no longer ride.

I still have my Aerostitch jacket in the closet.  I think my helmets are still at my parents' house.  I always rode with a full-face and would never consider anything less.  I spent way to much on college filling my fat Irish melon with knowledge to risk emptying it on the highway at 65 mph. 
NRA Life Member.