< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: My Favorite holster  (Read 6199 times)

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
My Favorite holster
« on: November 17, 2011, 09:12:28 PM »
Is a Milt Sparks Versamax II

I can carry a G30 in one all day long  ;D

A fine leather holster can be a CHP'rs best friend.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: My Favorite holster
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 09:30:42 PM »
ill jump in....

my LCR: DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster that came with it.

my M&P40: Raven concealment Phantom

i need to look for a leather holster perhaps.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Lmbass14

• Powder Benefactor
  • Red Horse - Semper Ducimus
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 09:31:14 PM »
Mine is from Matt @ Midwest Leather.  Excellent quality.

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 09:40:55 PM »
fav for me has been a little universal that i bought from DE Guns here in lincoln.  tried a buddies .45 in it, fits like a glove, and i bought it with the intention of my little .380 compact that has a new home with a forum member here.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 09:49:08 PM »
I also have a VMII clone for my G26.

It was custom made for me by a member here, but I just haven't really broken  it in yet, as it is a backup rig
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline sparky

• NFOA Full Member
  • Site Sponsor
    • Midwest Leather Works
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 10:09:51 PM »
I also have a VMII clone for my G26.

It was custom made for me by a member here, but I just haven't really broken  it in yet, as it is a backup rig
Versamax II is a great holster, I'm working on my version of it right now, minus the metal reinforcement.
www.midwestleatherworks.com
matt@midwestleatherworks.com

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 12:53:50 AM »
I have a Blackhawk Serpa and a Comp-Tac CTAC Holster IWB. Both work well with my Beretta 92fs. I use a Fobus dual mag paddle.

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 02:11:55 AM »
I prefer the Kydex....

Alabama Holster - IWB - "The Hooker"
Carried the Sidearmor IWB for years as well. Both excellent quality holsters with excellent retention..

And can go in the dishwasher with my Glock  :-)

Offline bbtech

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 06:02:04 AM »
Milt Sparks Summer Special II for my commander sized Dan Wesson 1911

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 06:14:19 AM »
Crossbreed SuperTuck for concealing my XDm9 and Blackhawk Serpa for range days
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 09:04:45 AM »
Everything I regularly CC rides in it's own Kholster. I am currently at three. (pretty sure the S&W 28 wouldn't conceal very well especially I(my)WB)  A leather/ kydex hybrid tuckable holster made just across the line in Missouri by Jimmy as a side business.  The quality is comparable to most I have seen and at around half the price, especially during special sales. (for some specials, part of the proceeds are donated to worthy causes) Once you dial in the cant and height (almost endless adjustment) the comfort is such that I have had to "hipcheck" myself to be certain I was carrying.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 09:17:13 PM »
+1 for Kydex.  A few years ago, I picked up one of the Raven Concealment holsters after shooting with a buddy who had one.  It's more comfortable than any others I've worn and just fits right.  It's modular with kydex loops that attach for OWB that can be swapped with flexible loops that attach for IWB. 
"I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert Heinlein

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2011, 12:50:15 PM »
I like the kydex/leather hybrids too.  I have a couple of Kholsters that are very nice.  I also have a cheap Uncle Mike's kydex OWB holster for my M&P that actually works very well.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2011, 12:56:23 PM »
I hate Kydex and metal belt loops
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2011, 06:49:26 PM »
I hate Kydex and metal belt loops

That's just because your....ummm....  Not young and hip anymore?    :P :P

j/k to each their own, ya know.  8)
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2011, 07:38:16 PM »
Not that I am young and hip...BUT, If you actually wear a holster with metal or stiff kydex clips very long, it will destroy your shirts, your expensive gun belt, scratch you car and furniture, make clunky noises when sitting in hard chairs and the kydex clips tend to break at the very worst time imaginable.

Not to mention that they hide poorly and when wearing a tucked shirt anyone can see the the strange clips on your belt are not normal, despite the fact that they may not know what they are for
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2011, 07:45:06 PM »
I like the kydex/leather hybrids too.  I have a couple of Kholsters that are very nice.  I also have a cheap Uncle Mike's kydex OWB holster for my M&P that actually works very well.

I tried to like the kydex/leather hybrids and they were comfortable, but I had one heck of a time trying to get it in my pants without great effort.

My VMII's are easy on easy off. Just need to loosen the belt to put on.

Another complaint...Kydex holster are too noisy if stealth is required on the draw
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2011, 11:04:28 PM »
My biggest complaint with IWB leather holsters is that I can't reholster with just one hand. I loved my Galco Skyops for concealability. A G23 can disappear under a tshirt, but it would require violating Safety Rule #2 to reholster after drawing.
"I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert Heinlein

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2011, 11:35:22 PM »
The VMII has a metal reinforced mouth that does not collapse when the gun is removed.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2011, 08:59:46 PM »
Ditto on VM II, Summer Special, Alabama Hooker, and one of my new favs for the "G"s is Safariland's  18-83 IWB.  So many decisions.......

DanW...out of curiosity can you pose a scenario in which one would go "stealth" as a CHP holder?