< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Another Omaha Gun Amnesty Scheduled 10 a.m.-2 p.m. December 17th  (Read 2381 times)

Offline LM4202

• Forum Member
Re: Another Omaha Gun Amnesty Scheduled 10 a.m.-2 p.m. December 17th
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2012, 08:49:28 PM »
......just more proof that OPD views ANY gun, legal or illegal, as a bad thing and that its better the citizens be disarmed to prevent mayhem. They obviously don't trust the citizens of Omaha and think they know better what the needs of the people are. Shame shame shame..........this type of thinking is not only insulting but dangerous to public safety. Concentrate on the criminals and not on the guns!

That statement makes it proof?  That's a stretch isn't it?  But then again, the OPD is viewed as the enemy of all CHPs by many on this board, so it shouldnt come as a surprise.  Every statements made by the OPD are nitpicked and analyzed, with most conclusions being negative.  We're talking about firearms getting into the hands of the thugs and the bangers here.  Where do most of their weapons come from anyway?  Its not like these lowlifes can purchase them from Sol's, Cabelas, Guns Unlimited, etc, because they wouldn't qualify for a purchase permit.  They steal them from relatives or get them from burlaries.  But don't let me take you away from bashing OPD, because they're the real bad guys here.   ::)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 08:52:14 PM by LM4202 »

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2012, 10:13:37 PM »
LM4202- I only speak the truth about how OPD treats ALL gun owners, it is not simply bashing them because we are a bunch of cop haters.

I should say that OPD has many great firearms owners who are supportive of LEGALLY owned guns. The problem is, those Officers are not the ones who represent the leadership of OPD and the city of Omaha.

I wish I could name some specific examples of OPD doing right to gun owners, but I can't. I can easily name for you specific cases where OPD wrongfully worked hard to keep LEGALLY owned guns out of the hands of their owners.

1) The current Federal lawsuit filed by SAF and NFOA...... OPD denies a registration of a handgun by a individual who by state and federal law can legally own that handgun. He even has a state Handgun purchase permit.

2) James McCullough's handgun from the Walgreen's robbery last year... Almost a year after the incident, and 30 days past the sentencing of the surviving criminal.... By law the gun was no longer needed for evidence, and must be released to the rightful owner. OPD and the city law dept refused to return the handgun. The Attorney Generals office was contacted, and within 20 minutes of the AG calling the OPD Chief, amazingly OPD released the gun to him.

3) Several guns were taken "as evidence" by OPD from a mans Sarpy county home after his ex-wife's son stole one of his rifles and used it in the Westroads mall shooting. OPD then refused to return any of his firearms that were taken from his safe, out of his home in Sarpy county, by OPD. He gets a court order for his guns to be returned, and OPD still refused to comply. Finally after well over a year and many Attorney's bills, he gets his LEGALLY owned firearms returned to him.

The Mayors office and leadership of OPD have tarnished the reputation of OPD as a good organization in my eyes, and until there are major changes there, I won't see it differently.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2012, 10:53:09 AM »
LM4202- I wish to re interate one of Chris's points, there are allot of good OPD officers that support legal firearms owners.  But there are problems with management that puts the whole of the organization into walking on the wrong side of issues, and unfortunately there are many officers that have no information on firearms other than what they get spoonfed by OPD management.

Then I will point out that the purpose of this thread is not to "Bash OPD" but to discuss the gun turn in, these type of events are proven to do nothing to reduce violence but rather have the opposite effect.  They take what could be inexpensive legal firearms out of the community where they could be used for self defense by those that can not afford the higher prices of new firearms.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 10:58:01 AM by AAllen »

Offline armed and humorous

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2012, 03:20:23 PM »
I have no love for the City of Omaha's restrictive gun policies.  I doubt OPD itself is entirely responsible for many of the complaints voiced here.  Also, OPD is not taking guns from anyone.  This is a totally voluntary act by people who simply want to get a gun out of their possession, for whatever reason.  I also doubt that there is proof, that these amnesties affect crime one way or the other (meaning that no one can honestly say that without the amnesty programs, crime would go down, nor the opposite).

As for showing up to purchase these guns before they are turned in, it has been done in other places, and the police did nothing to interfere with the sales (at least not at the places I know of).  It would be interesting to see if it could be done in Omaha, given their registration policies.  Buying from a dealer, I imagine registration is pretty much automatic.  Buying from an individual might be another story.  They may try to confiscate the firearm immediately because it was not registered yet.

Surely someone here knows how this registration thing works in Omaha.  If you were to purchase a gun from another individual, how would you go about registering it without being subject to breaking the law between the time of purchase and showing up to have it registered?
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.