< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Another Omaha Gun Amnesty Scheduled 10 a.m.-2 p.m. December 17th  (Read 2382 times)

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
Another Omaha Gun Amnesty Scheduled 10 a.m.-2 p.m. December 17th
« on: December 09, 2011, 06:06:30 PM »
http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/Another_Gun_Amnesty_Scheduled_135345103.html

Another Gun Amnesty Scheduled
10 a.m.-2 p.m. December 17th at Omaha Music Hall
Omaha police are teaming up with several community groups in an effort to take more guns off the street. Project Safe Neighborhood, Family First and OPD are sponsoring a gun amnesty next Saturday.

Anyone may bring unwanted guns and ammunition to a drop-off location, no questions asked. The Omaha Civic Auditorium Music Hall at 18th and Capitol is where you’ll be able to bring unwanted or illegal guns between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. on December 17th. Police want the weapons before someone uses them to commit a crime.

The last gun amnesty in Omaha was in July when nearly 40 guns were turned in along with several large buckets of ammo. The guns are always checked to see if they're connected to any crimes, then they're destroyed.

~~ See more at link ~~
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
Re: Another Omaha Gun Amnesty Scheduled 10 a.m.-2 p.m. December 17th
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 01:54:11 AM »
Too bad they aren't paying for them. I have a broken Remington 770 that I wouldn't mind getting rid of for some cash.  ;D I doubt people with a criminal gun would ever consider something like this, or even read the news to know about them. Well if getting a few junky guns out of Omaha makes the anti-gunners sleep better at night then I can handle that instead of stricter gun laws.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 03:40:20 PM »
http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/Another_Gun_Amnesty_Scheduled_135345103.html

Another Gun Amnesty Scheduled
10 a.m.-2 p.m. December 17th at Omaha Music Hall
Omaha police are teaming up with several community groups in an effort to take more guns off the street. Project Safe Neighborhood, Family First and OPD are sponsoring a gun amnesty next Saturday.

Anyone may bring unwanted guns and ammunition to a drop-off location, no questions asked. The Omaha Civic Auditorium Music Hall at 18th and Capitol is where you’ll be able to bring unwanted or illegal guns between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. on December 17th. Police want the weapons before someone uses them to commit a crime.

That's the part that gets to me.  That little drop-off phrase that they throw in that shows us that they think guns are merely there for the commission of crimes, that given long enough, every single gun out there will be eventually used in a crime, because that is all that can possibly happen.

Grrr................. :angry:
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 12:04:59 AM »
This is nothing but a feel good publicity stunt.  The gangbangers won't turn anything in.  All they'll get is little old grandma's who don't know what to do with their deceased husband's old shotgun or .22 revolver that's been sitting in the closet for the last 40 years.

I did see a picture (I think it was on Arfcom) the other day of a gun buyback where someone turned in a trapdoor Springfield.  I about threw up thinking of that old warhorse getting melted down.   >:D

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 08:19:40 AM »
I doubt the good ones get melted down.  They probably make it into some officers' or deputies' personal collections.

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 09:37:28 AM »
This is the city of Omaha's way of padding and increasing their "Number of guns taken off the streets of Omaha" statistic.

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 09:41:05 AM »
If they are not being paid, does that make them a charitable contribution? At least someone should show up and pay for ammo, that way it won't get lost in the honorable police department's hands. Buying the guns could possibly lead to legal problems but the ammo is there for the taking.

Offline mikkojay

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 02:58:01 PM »
I'd be willing to bet that the buckets of ammo are all destroyed... one by one at the firing range.  Probably in the same way that confiscated fireworks are.

Offline Chris C

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 02:59:19 PM »
I doubt the good ones get melted down.  They probably make it into some officers' or deputies' personal collections.

Some of that is true.  A OPD friend of mine was legally given a .357 out of the evidence room when he received an award an few years back.  It’s pretty nice.  Don't know how many firearms are given out though...

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 09:44:09 AM »
This is nothing but a feel good publicity stunt.  The gangbangers won't turn anything in.  All they'll get is little old grandma's who don't know what to do with their deceased husband's old shotgun or .22 revolver that's been sitting in the closet for the last 40 years.

If past events are any indication, this event will allow folks to get rid of unregistered NFA weapons and other "hot" firearms that they don't want to be caught with.

Offline Dtrain323i

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 05:06:01 PM »
I wonder how pissed off the OPD would be if you showed up with a wad of cash and offered people $25 bucks per gun.  ;)

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2011, 06:11:55 PM »
I wonder how pissed off the OPD would be if you showed up with a wad of cash and offered people $25 bucks per gun.  ;)

I emailed them the last time they had one of these amnesty events to ask this very question (whether I would be arrested if I did such a thing). The email I got back did not really answer my question, and just said that OPD would not be supportive.

Offline blind_hunter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2011, 10:50:15 PM »
Oh, I thought this was the day you told your wife about all the guns you had recently bought that she did not know about...

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2011, 11:26:32 PM »
Was there ever a report on what was turned in? Were they all stolen guns that would be returned to the proper owners? Did any of them work? Were they grandmas gun that the grandkid found while snooping in the medicine cabinet?

I want to know darnit!

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2011, 09:18:01 AM »
I can't find the article right now but it sounds like they were mostly old rifles and shotguns with a few handguns some of which were rusted so bad they were inoperable, about 50 guns over all.  They did get several buckets (5 or 7, 5 gal.) of ammo as well.

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2011, 09:35:46 AM »
At least they saved the city from all that crime.

I could use some ammo though, maybe there should be a private ammo buy back by someone other than the police.

Offline Lmbass14

• Powder Benefactor
  • Red Horse - Semper Ducimus
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2011, 11:32:53 AM »
Here's the article from WOWT dated Dec. 17th.  The last sentence in this article will make you cry.

Fifty-five weapons, including 49 guns, were taken off the streets Saturday. Police say the third gun amnesty day of the year, held at the Omaha Civic Auditorium, yielded the best results.

"I think the community is stepping up to help us and I think we've gotten the message out that it is important to get these guns out of possibly, out of the wrong hands," said Omaha Police Lt. Shayna Ray.

Police believe every gun taken off the street through these amnesty programs is one less gun to worry about. Like the previous amnesty days, this was an anonymous, no questions asked situation.

Among the 49 firearms collected was a shotgun the owner was glad to get rid of. Spencer Schreiber had owned the shotgun half of his life and he said from the beginning it has been nothing but trouble. Saturday's gun amnesty day was the perfect way to get rid of a dangerous weapon.
“When I was about 12 years old I was hunting with my dad, closed it and luckily he was standing next to me and not in front of me, otherwise that could have been a bad situation. It never made me nervous, but i know that it made my mother nervous having it, just in case there was some kid who came over and decided, oh wow it's a gun and did something stupid."

The reasons behind the other 48 firearms handed over to police were probably as varied as the guns themselves. There were several sawed off shotguns, a number of long guns and several handguns. The one thing they have in common is that if put in the wrong hands, lives would be in danger.

Any gun has the potential to fall into the wrong hands. They are one of the first items burglars usually look for or maybe a guest finds your hidden firearm.

"People who are in your house and maybe you are not keeping track of the guns and people are taking guns through simple thefts," said Lt. Ray. "A lot of people don't even realize their guns are stolen."

In recent weeks, it seems as if Omaha's streets have become more dangerous and gun violence is a part of the equation, but with amnesty days police hope to lessen the potential. "Getting those weapons off the street, just one weapon off the street, we possibly could have saved lives," added Lt. Ray.

Police also collected 400 pounds of ammunition. The guns will be checked against stolen gun reports and officers will try to return the guns to their rightful owners. The rest of the guns will be melted down.

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2011, 11:49:01 AM »
I still want to know how many were stolen, and of those, I want to know how hard the OPD worked to get them back to the rightful owner.

At least they did say that it was the hands and not the guns that are the criminals. If they tried harder to get the criminals off the streets, the guns wouldn't be an issue. It's another case of the cops wanting the public to voluntarily doing their work for them.

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2011, 11:51:55 AM »
Based on how hard OPD illegally tries to keep guns from their rightful owners, I can guarantee they make NO ATTEMPT to return any of these guns

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2011, 06:39:18 AM »
Any gun has the potential to fall into the wrong hands. They are one of the first items burglars usually look for or maybe a guest finds your hidden firearm.
"People who are in your house and maybe you are not keeping track of the guns and people are taking guns through simple thefts," said Lt. Ray. "A lot of people don't even realize their guns are stolen."

......just more proof that OPD views ANY gun, legal or illegal, as a bad thing and that its better the citizens be disarmed to prevent mayhem. They obviously don't trust the citizens of Omaha and think they know better what the needs of the people are. Shame shame shame..........this type of thinking is not only insulting but dangerous to public safety. Concentrate on the criminals and not on the guns!