< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Youth programs  (Read 1827 times)

Offline barb

• Forum Member
Youth programs
« on: December 22, 2011, 08:35:16 PM »
Looking for a junior or youth program for my grandson who is just starting to get interest in shooting He lives in Omaha

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Youth programs
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 08:43:09 PM »
Nebraska is home to the worlds best trap shooting programs for junior high and high school aged kids.

Does your grandsons school sponsor a team?

Many Omaha schools do have trap teams. The season starts up in the very early spring.

Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline barb

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 08:55:36 PM »
No he is in private We were looking for a gun club with a youth program

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 12:11:56 AM »
Hi Barb,

We're looking at starting up a .22 rifle match in the Lincoln area that will be youth-friendly.  It's still in the planning stages but if your grandson is interested I would be happy to give him a hand.  You might also want to look into having him attend an Appleseed shoot.  It's basically a 2-day crash course in marksmanship and probably the best money you can spend on shooting instruction. 

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 01:02:52 AM »
Hi Barb,

We're looking at starting up a .22 rifle match in the Lincoln area that will be youth-friendly.  It's still in the planning stages but if your grandson is interested I would be happy to give him a hand.  You might also want to look into having him attend an Appleseed shoot.  It's basically a 2-day crash course in marksmanship and probably the best money you can spend on shooting instruction. 

Barb,

Kudos to you for wanting to give your grandson a good learning experience on something he can enjoy the rest of his life.  The website for Appleseed is http://www.appleseedinfo.org/index.html.  It does not look like there is an event scheduled in Nebraska until January, though that is in Grand Island.  I'm sure there will be more local events in 2012.

If you want him to start with some basic instruction, there are always instructors at some of the local ranges that would likely be able to give him an introduction to firearms.  We have several instructors on the forum who may chime in, but in Omaha there is The Bullet Hole (http://www.thebh.com/index.php).  It is possible that they may be able to give him some one on one instruction.  They do have a "Introduction to Pistol" course, but it may not be what a young man would be interested in.  Regardless, they may be a good contact that could suggest other options.

Fly
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 01:05:10 AM by OnTheFly »
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 05:16:56 AM »
Barb, and others
Although this may take a year or two, but the NFOA has a committee currently working alongside the Game and Parks comission on such programs.  Originally we started were looking to partner up on keeping 'target areas' on Wildlife managment lands open, but we have since been asked to provide input on what I call YMCAs for the shooting sports. These will be geared to the new shooters, especially our youth. they will hopefully should include trap, archery, air rifle to rimfires, possibly handguns.  As I said it is all in the - this is what we want/ need so how do we get it - stage.  But I wanted to throw it out here because your situation is a perfect example of Nebraska's need for shooting sports programs geared to our youth.  I urge you to keep an eye our the progress of this venture and help drum up support.

Other questions: 
How old is your grandson?
OK lives in Omaha.  Which area of Omaha?
What has he shot before?  Shotgun/ Air rifle/ Rimfire rifle/ Handgun?
What area of shooting is he interested in? Shotgunning/ Target rifle/ target handgun?

My kiddos live in Elkhorn, we are also looking for something to get into in the area, also.  Heck if the boy just wants to go plinkin' we could probably find a place.  ;)  You are more than welcome to PM or Email me (shortcuts at the left) with further information on your grandson and I will do some more research. 
(p.s. A good Christmas present for the young lad may be a NRA youth membership including a subscription to their 'Insight' magazine tailored to the youth. )
In the meantime We will see what we can do here at a state level. 
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 05:41:06 AM »
I forgot to mention, there is the Outdoor Heritage Shooting Complex out near South Bend along the Platte River.  This is the Game and Parks' first attempt at bringing safe entry level shooting area for or youth. Here the equipment/ammo is provided for a nominal fee for those that have never shot and/or do not own their own equipment. If that is something that interests you, you can check out the website:  http://outdoornebraska.ne.gov/OHEC/ for more info.  While not a ongoing program, it is an option.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 08:13:25 AM »
I will gladly take kids to the Eastern Nebraska Gun Club to teach them firearms safety as long as a parent, or in this case a grandparent, comes along.  However, this is just something I do in my spare time so the opportunities to go may be limited by my schedule.

I am a hunter safety instructor and base my training on their materials as well as 40+ years of safe firearms use including basic and advanced training in the military and civilian life.

All I ask is that you pay the $5.00 range fee for the adult (most ENGC RO's don't charge for kids) and chip in for any ammo we use.