< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: ENPS Steel Challenge match on Jan 22nd...  (Read 3993 times)

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
ENPS Steel Challenge match on Jan 22nd...
« on: January 13, 2012, 08:03:11 PM »
Just wanted to let everyone know that the first ENPS Steel Challenge match of the year will be on January 22nd (Sunday) at the Eastern Nebraska Gun Club.  http://www.engc.us

For your information, we have decided to have six steel stages per match this year instead of five, so bring another 25 rounds of ammo!  (Well, maybe a couple more if you think you might miss once or twice...)

We'll be shooting the official steel challenge stages in the five ENPS Steel matches this year, so you can take your stage times and compare them to national scores from previous SC competitions just to see if you would have beaten JJ Racaza or  Rob Leatham.  :)

Remember, we have both centerfire AND rimfire divisions, so if you don't feel like drawing from a holster, bring a rimfire pistol in a bag (and we have both optics and irons divisions) with some magazines, and have a good time along with the rest of us.

If you haven't shot it before, here is a video I made back at the end of 2010 right after we bought the official SC steel.  Like I said, this year we'll be doing six stages instead of five, but this is what it'll look like:

For schedules and such, go to:  http://www.easternnebraskapracticalshooters.com/.  If you've got any questions, let me know!
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline Lmbass14

• Powder Benefactor
  • Red Horse - Semper Ducimus
Re: ENPS Steel Challenge match on Jan 22nd...
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 07:59:36 AM »
That looks like a LOT of fun and addictive.  Now if ammo wasn't so expensive.....  and no, couldn't do the rimfire gig.  guess it's a man thing.  Give Ashley kudos for a job well done keeping focus on the problems she was having.  Must have had a great instructor.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 11:44:37 AM by Lmbass14 »

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 08:57:46 AM »
That looks like a LOT of fun and addictive.  Now if ammo was so expensive.....  and no, couldn't do the rimfire gig.  guess it's a man thing.

Actually, due to ammo prices (lots of people don't reload), we get tons of people (guys and girls) shooting rimfire.  At the national competitions, lots of guys shoot rimfire also---you can REALLY smoke on speed with those, particularly if you have an optic on it.

Example from National---BJ Norris shooting his custom .22 Rimfire:

(Around here, we don't look like that when WE shoot.  This is much more like what we look like:    )

On average, about 57% of our SC shooters use the .22 route.  Some have a .22 conversion for their regular pistols, but plenty just use a Buckmark or a Ruger 22/45. 

Rich Simandl with his .22 Open gun smoked us all a number of times.

....so come try it out.  :)

Offline Lmbass14

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 11:44:07 AM »
jthhapkito - man, you're givinging me the itch.  Might come out and do the spectator gig, but knowing me, i'll would need bigger / better firearms and ammo, and like a lot of people, the home budget isn't what it used to be.

Offline tobydog

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 05:52:31 PM »
.22 rimfire on steel is a blast. I went to it due to ammo costs, plus I had rimfires sitting in the safe doing nothing. They needed the work :D. Got my oldest daughter into it as well, she has fun. Even shoots in the cold (as long as its not too bad). No holster needed is a plus as well. Just need reliable ammo, .22's are usually picky. I'm use CCI Mini-mags, never had misfire with them. You can use the cheap bulk stuff as well, normally works OK. Keep the gun clean so it will run. Come on out and give it a try.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 07:35:24 PM »
.22 rimfire on steel is a blast. I went to it due to ammo costs, plus I had rimfires sitting in the safe doing nothing. They needed the work :D. Got my oldest daughter into it as well, she has fun. Even shoots in the cold (as long as its not too bad). No holster needed is a plus as well. Just need reliable ammo, .22's are usually picky. I'm use CCI Mini-mags, never had misfire with them. You can use the cheap bulk stuff as well, normally works OK. Keep the gun clean so it will run. Come on out and give it a try.

And you should listen to him, because he is the guy that beat all of us most of the time using a .22 Rimfire Open division gun in 2011.

Offline Lmbass14

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 07:23:43 AM »
tobydog & jthhapkido - Both you guys need to be selling used cars, not to take away sales away of comedianX livelihood, you make it hard to argue this case.  Might have to come down and watch.

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 05:34:38 PM »
2 questions actually.

1 Can I shoot in both categories in the same match (rimfire and center fire)?
2 What is the entry cost?  I am an ENGC member if that helps any.

Two comments:  I was out there late last year when one of these matches was going on, shooting with a friend up in bay #7, and a couple of times had rounds go wizzing through the air over us.  Was not concerned for myself or my bud, we had a berm between us and the shooters down the hill, but about my car taking a round.  Suggestions?

I like it when these things are on Sundays, since I work every Saturday.

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline dcjulie

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 09:03:01 PM »
Ron,
Cost of the match is $15.  You do not have to be a member of ENGC to participate, and being a member does not give you any break on the fee. :)   You can only shoot in one division per match. (sorry)

As for your concerns about your car, I've never heard of any car damage from anything during a match.  I even park my new car right in front of bay 5, and have never had any problems. ;)

Come on out Sunday.  Looks like it will be colder than we originally expected, but it is still fun!

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 09:12:47 PM »
I'm going to be a wimp and wait until Multigun starts up again this spring....

The ENPS matches are always fun, though.  I've never shot a Steel Challenge but I need to some time.

Offline dcjulie

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 01:14:24 PM »
wimp  :)

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 06:53:53 PM »
I'm going to be a wimp and wait until Multigun starts up again this spring....

The ENPS matches are always fun, though.  I've never shot a Steel Challenge but I need to some time.

C'mon, Sunday is supposed to be mid-40s, and since there is no movement, you can wear a full coveralls set plus huge warm boots, and you'll be just fine!

And everyone should try Steel Challenge---just like Multigun is fun in a completely different way from USPSA, shooting Steel Challenge is a yet another way to have a great time shooting.  :) 

How IS your speed draw?  Can you hit five targets at speed?  Can you do it 5 times?  How about at least 4?  (Because if you screw up, we'll throw out the slowest run...)

You know you want to.  Give it a try...  :)

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, 12:56:04 PM »
Sorry for the questions, but I can not find much for rules/details on the websites provided. 

I have a Ruger Mark I with two 9 round magazines. 

Is it only five shots per round?

I can pick up one to three more magazines, but could I just load three and have three loose rounds in my pocket?  Or can I only have five rounds per magazine?

Thanks,
Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2012, 12:58:59 PM »
C'mon, Sunday is supposed to be mid-40s, and since there is no movement, you can wear a full coveralls set plus huge warm boots, and you'll be just fine!

And everyone should try Steel Challenge---just like Multigun is fun in a completely different way from USPSA, shooting Steel Challenge is a yet another way to have a great time shooting.  :) 

How IS your speed draw?  Can you hit five targets at speed?  Can you do it 5 times?  How about at least 4?  (Because if you screw up, we'll throw out the slowest run...)

You know you want to.  Give it a try...  :)

Well, I do have company this weekend so I can claim that as an excuse instead of the cold.  ;D

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2012, 02:04:07 PM »
Fly,

5 mags would be best. There will be 5 strings of fire at 5 targets per stage. Hit each target once per string. stop, then score the string -(time).
Then reload to new mag and shoot next string. So best would be perfect 25 hits per stage. Most of the 22 guys load mag full, then swap mags before each string. So 5 strings = 5 mags. If don't have 5 mags, might get someone to reload mags between strings.

Can find some videos on youtube. Search ENCG Steel

Hope this helps
Koz
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2012, 02:49:59 PM »
Fly,

5 mags would be best. There will be 5 strings of fire at 5 targets per stage. Hit each target once per string. stop, then score the string -(time).
Then reload to new mag and shoot next string. So best would be perfect 25 hits per stage. Most of the 22 guys load mag full, then swap mags before each string. So 5 strings = 5 mags. If don't have 5 mags, might get someone to reload mags between strings.

Can find some videos on youtube. Search ENCG Steel

Hope this helps
Koz

That helps a lot.  Thank you.

Fly

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2012, 07:47:01 PM »
I'm not sure what weather (other than a tornado) would result in a cancellation, but where (or would) this be posted?

Fly

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2012, 08:01:35 PM »
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2012, 08:24:21 PM »
If you're on Facebook you can follow ENPS there also.