< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: First time permit.  (Read 5147 times)

Offline jakub

• NFOA Full Member
First time permit.
« on: March 03, 2012, 05:45:22 PM »
For those interested, first time application for chp took 55 days. Turned in paper work Jan. 9th.

Offline omaharj

• social catalyst
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: First time permit.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 07:31:45 PM »
Congratulations! A year ago they were taking about 4-5 weeks. The Nebraska Code says they have 45 calendar days to process. Perhaps a representative from here can stop the delays if a pattern starts. One of the ways to fight legislation that is disagreed with,is to underfund the implementation. "We're doing the best that we can. But,the budget,outdated equipment,all these applications,the law is unreasonable in regards to the time constraints,etc." All are intended to harass,annoy, delay,and just plain disrupt and discourage. I'm not saying this is the case,just that it's a possibility. Thanks for the heads-up, Jakub. Hopefully other recent ccw appliers will chime in.   RJ

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 08:11:12 PM »
Yet another reason for constitutional carry..............government incapability.

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 11:31:52 AM »
For those interested, first time application for chp took 55 days. Turned in paper work Jan. 9th.

For future reference, others who encounter an unlawful delay in the issuance of their concealed carry permit should do something about it. The cheapest, easiest way to "do something" is to call the governor's office and inform the person that you talk to that an executive branch agency is not complying with a statutory obligation. You may think this is pointless, but I assure you that this is taken very seriously.

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 11:34:40 AM »
Yet another reason for constitutional carry..............government incapability.

Yes, there is no question that constitutional carry is best and should be the ultimate goal of gun activists in Nebraska. People have a natural and constitutional right to keep and bear arms. No one should have to pay a state agency in order to exercise a fundamental right.

In the meantime, though, one thing that could be done to improve the permit wait time significantly is to remove the requirement for a full FBI criminal background check. Doing away with that check and replacing it with a NICS check would also do away with a significant portion of the cost to State Patrol of processing permit applications.

Offline JumpStart

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 06:47:34 AM »
I turned in my application on Feb 28 in North Platte.  The lady told me 45 to 90 days

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 07:55:47 AM »
JumpStart....I would contact Tom Hanson who since you mention North Platte I assume is your Senator.  I would contact his office should you not receive you permit in 45 CALENDER days (not business, skipping holidays and weekends, etc), but a true 45 days and ask them to inquire with NSP what the delay is.  By LAW, NSP is to complete the process.  This is becoming more of an issue.  Yes, NSP is undermanned, so leads me to think the Unicameral needs to provide more resources to them to comply with the LAW.

Offline cracked junior

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 09:30:07 PM »
I turned my application on jan 27th.  received it yesterday.   paperwork says it was done on the 13th.  If I can I count right, that is 46 days. 

I also used the north platte nsp.  lady told me 90 days.   on march 9th I emailed the governor.   i have not heard back from gov. office but maybe it did help get it done sooner. 

also emailing Tom Hansen does no good.  I have sent several emails and never hear back.  I know a few other people that never hear back after emailing.   I have emailed other senators and they have replied. 

Offline y0diggity

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 12:46:46 PM »
JumpStart....I would contact Tom Hanson who since you mention North Platte I assume is your Senator.  I would contact his office should you not receive you permit in 45 CALENDER days (not business, skipping holidays and weekends, etc), but a true 45 days and ask them to inquire with NSP what the delay is.  By LAW, NSP is to complete the process.  This is becoming more of an issue.  Yes, NSP is undermanned, so leads me to think the Unicameral needs to provide more resources to them to comply with the LAW.

When I got mine, I called several times for the status and was told at one point that it was 45 BUSINESS days. I was under the impression that it was calendar days as well but the lady insisted that it wasn't. Is there something documented one way or the other?
That which does not kill us was not trained properly.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 01:39:11 PM »
http://statepatrol.nebraska.gov/forms/ccw/CCWRegs.pdf

009 PERMIT ISSUANCE PROCESS
009.01 If the application for a permit to carry a concealed handgun is complete and all accompanying documentation is submitted, a permit will be issued to the applicant by the Nebraska State Patrol within forty-five (45) calendar days so long as the record check reveals no disqualifying information and applicant meets all of the requirements of the Act and these regulations. If the record check can not be completed within the forty-five (45) calendar day limitation, a permit will be issued but is subject to cancellation if information is received that disqualifies the applicant.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 04:47:18 PM »
Also: http://nebraskalegislature.gov/laws/statutes.php?statute=69-2430

69-2430 (3)(b) Beginning January 1, 2010, the permit to carry a concealed handgun shall be issued by the Nebraska State Patrol within forty-five days after the date an application for the permit has been made by the applicant if the applicant has complied with this section and has met all the requirements of section 69-2433.

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 09:10:06 AM »
Never attribute to Evil that which you can chalk up to incompetence. -- Harlan Ellison.

Same end result I know but in this case, I'll go with simple indifference, not malicious intent on the NSP's part.
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 03:30:02 PM »
Did the unicam up NSPs budget at all when we started with concealed carry?

Offline AlanS

• Powder Benefactor
    • ShadduckPhotography.com
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 09:41:57 AM »
This is an interesting thread... I submitted my application at Lincoln on Feb. 28th. Asked what kind of turn-around time to expect and was told "with all the renewals coming in, they've pretty much been taking the full 45-days." She added "the ones that went out yesterday were at 44 days." So, they're apparently tracking and know where they are on the time line.

I'm only on day 22 and April 13th will be 45 days -- we'll see!

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 10:52:46 AM »
This is an interesting thread... I submitted my application at Lincoln on Feb. 28th. Asked what kind of turn-around time to expect and was told "with all the renewals coming in, they've pretty much been taking the full 45-days." She added "the ones that went out yesterday were at 44 days." So, they're apparently tracking and know where they are on the time line.

I'm only on day 22 and April 13th will be 45 days -- we'll see!

Is she saying renewals are taking 45 days, they have only 5 days that means they would be running 6 weeks behind.

If it is for first time permits they have 45 days though, and that is calendar days not business days.

Offline AlanS

• Powder Benefactor
    • ShadduckPhotography.com
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2012, 11:05:54 AM »
Is she saying renewals are taking 45 days, they have only 5 days that means they would be running 6 weeks behind.

If it is for first time permits they have 45 days though, and that is calendar days not business days.

She was responding to my question about my first time application, so I took it that she was referring to my situation (first time permits that went out previous day were at 44 days), and using the flood of renewals as an excuse for it taking the maximum time alotted.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2012, 02:13:29 PM »
Thanks Alan that means they are getting back on schedual, not as fast as the person waiting wants but within the law.

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2012, 06:16:03 PM »
Anyone recall how long a training class is good for before you would have to take a new one for a first time permit?
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline omaharj

• social catalyst
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2012, 06:58:44 PM »
Anyone recall how long a training class is good for before you would have to take a new one for a first time permit?
http://nebraskalegislature.gov/laws/statutes.php?statute=69-2433
This doesn't specify how recent the training must be, I would take that to mean once in a lifetime is enough,heheh. Hopefully an instructor will confirm. I have a Utah permit also, and that one must be applied for within a year.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2012, 07:15:51 PM »
022.02 To be approved, the training course must have been conducted:

022.02  A by an instructor certified by the Nebraska State Patrol;

022.02  B utilizing a lesson plan approved by the Nebraska State Patrol; and

022.02  C after the instructor has been certified by the Nebraska State Patrol. Courses which were taught by instructors before they became certified to teach this course under the provisions of these regulations will not meet the training requirement for a permit.

022.02  D within the three (3) years immediately preceding the date of application.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.