< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Tell me about the Dudley Boyz, and the Scheel's break in.  (Read 5763 times)

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
Tell me about the Dudley Boyz, and the Scheel's break in.
« on: April 19, 2012, 10:48:26 AM »
The long and short of it is, between 2-6 black males who do not live in any of the immediate houses have been hanging out outside my house, most evenings for the past 2 weeks. Near 27th and Holdrege.

Didn't bother me a whole lot until yesterday a note was in my front yard. "We watching you" is all it said.

I decided to report it to LPD and the officer that took my report was very helpful and insightful. He told me about the Dudley Boyz gang, who had 4 of it's members convicted for the Scheel's break in a couple years back, and have a general history of drug and firearms related crimes.

I do what I can to hide the types of firearms, where they are stored(in a 550lb fire rated safe bolted to my basement floor with motion sensors and dial-out security system), etc. But when I go to the range, I usually have at least 3-4 cases I take with me, and anyone in the neighborhood could have seen this a number of times.

My other concern, given recent events that were given racial overtones by the media , is that they may be trying to provoke me. Now, I am going to great lengths to avoid a confrontation, but I have night classes, and 6 vs 1 is clearly disparity of force, as I will NOT be getting curb stomped.

Last night I elected to call the cops to come scare them off, and it was quite effective. You might say, "why didn't you just try asking them to move on?" Well, I highly doubt that move would be effective, as they would probably just tell me to "get buggered." I would then call the cops, and they would know with relative certainty that I was the one who called. The method I chose leaves that as an uncertainty. My hopes are that after a couple times of LPD running them off, these gentlemen will find somewhere else to hang out.

I've taken several pictures of them, and been doing some research, but I was out of country when the Scheels robbery took place. Any insight anyone can provide on current of past events would be helpful. I truly do hope that this is all coincidence and I am just being paranoid.

And for the record, if it were 2-6 white guys, or even Japanese businessmen in suites, I would be just as concerned. Maybe more so.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 10:50:28 AM by wallace11bravo »

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Tell me about the Dudley Boyz, and the Scheel's break in.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 11:24:02 AM »
first I'll say I think you are handling this correctly.  After a couple of calls the cops generally take to patrolling the area more which encourages folks to move where they hang out, I've been through the same problem here in Omaha.

As far as the Scheels robbery a couple of years ago; there was a break-in at Scheels, I believe they drove a stolen vehicle through the doors, and around 50 firearms were stolen.  A few were recovered with arrests in Lincoln within a few days of the robbery but others have been turning up in Arizona, New Mexico etc.  They left town with persons who delivered drugs and went back to where the drugs were shipped from...

This is why I keep waiting for a Fast and Furious firearm to show up here in Nebraska.  We are on a known drug route for these folks.

Offline skydve76

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 03:42:58 PM »
How old are these guys? 

Do not get caught taking pictures of them or video them with them seeing you, do not stare at them, ignore them as much as you can. 

Is there a way you can load up guns without anyone seeing you, such as pulling into a garage that is closed?
Ignore them and for the most part they will go away. 

27th and holdredge not too bad of area, I wouldn't worry about it but if they know they can bug you they will.  I am guessing the note is probably because they picked up on your nervousness or noticing them.

At this point there is nt reason for any violence.    They are just punks with low self esteem and bugging you is something fun to do. Dont show you are bothered and it wont be any fun for them.

if they yell at you, harrass you etc calling the cops 2 times will allow you a protection order.  then they start going to jail.  Do not confront them unless they putting or your family in danger. 

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 04:12:55 PM »
How old are these guys? 

Do not get caught taking pictures of them or video them with them seeing you, do not stare at them, ignore them as much as you can. 

Is there a way you can load up guns without anyone seeing you, such as pulling into a garage that is closed?

27th and holdredge not too bad of area, I wouldn't worry about it but if they know they can bug you they will.  I am guessing the note is probably because they picked up on your nervousness or noticing them.

At this point there is nt reason for any violence.    They are just punks with low self esteem and bugging you is something fun to do. Dont show you are bothered and it wont be any fun for them.

if they yell at you, harrass you etc calling the cops 2 times will allow you a protection order.  then they start going to jail.  Do not confront them unless they putting or your family in danger. 

20ish. Some younger some older.

Recon was a large part of my job, including taking pics of people without them knowing.

Short answer, no, or I would have always done it. The setup of the driveway and doors to the house is less than ideal, for pretty much everything.

Should have been more specific. According to the LPD officer, the house where the firearms were seized was across the street from me. I live on Dudley, but not near these individual's current houses.

I am avoiding confrontation, as stated already. So far, other than the note, they have not said a word to me, and I have no way of knowing for sure if they had anything to do with it. Could be a neighbor girl with an akward crush. I don't know what nervousness there could have been, I have only ever seen one or two of these guys before they started collecting on my corner. I have only interacted with the "collection" once, when I came home from night classes at 10:30. As soon as I got out of my vehicle they scattered. I live by myself and unfortunately have a very regular schedule.

Thanks for the tips on the protection order. If it does escalate into such a thing, that would definetly be a good option.

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 05:03:36 PM »
How old are these guys? 

When I was in farmhouse fraternity around 33rd and holdredge there was a ton of break ins and shady people. I have jogged by the area in which Wallace lives and it looks equally as bad. Looks like somebody needs a house sitter

Offline Z3R0

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 01:06:48 AM »
I have some personal experience with the people in that area.  Best to just stand down.  Don't provoke them but dont make yourself a target. Keep calling the police as needed.  Did you notice any vehicles?

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 01:13:09 AM »
I would go with large breed dog, take him for many walks in the neighborhood.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 07:50:25 AM »
You're handling this correctly.  I would NOT ask them to "move on."  That's just asking for trouble.  Get the police involved.  That's their job.

"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline sparky

• NFOA Full Member
  • Site Sponsor
    • Midwest Leather Works
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 08:11:39 AM »
I think your are handling this very smart and the way you should.  Isn't a police station just a couple blocks away if I'm not mistaken?
www.midwestleatherworks.com
matt@midwestleatherworks.com

Offline skydve76

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 03:28:00 PM »
I grew up in Lincoln, I guess I havent lived there since 2005 so maybe its changed.  Might be time to think about moving.  I like the 48th and adams area where I grew up.

Offline monkeyboy

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 05:10:54 AM »
Wow,Does this take me back! I lived in that area back in the late 70's. I worked nights and my house was broken into 3 times in a 2yr span! I only lost 1 firearm in addition to a lot of other stuff. My insurance provider dropped me like a hot potato. I see things haven't changed much in 30+ yrs.--Mike.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 06:34:31 AM »
I grew up in Lincoln, I guess I havent lived there since 2005 so maybe its changed.  Might be time to think about moving.  I like the 48th and adams area where I grew up.
Sorry to bust your bubble, that area ain't exactly Disney World anymore either. (Buddy has a shop in the old John Hall shop and I try my best not to be there after dark.) Of course, with the "lack of resources" in LPD, I don't feel at ease most anywhere in Lincoln, after dark. That being said, I feel pretty safe in my 'neck of the woods Thursday-Saturday as there are always a couple officers a couple blocks away at the Grove  ;)

As for your situation w11b, keep vigilant and I'm truly sorry you have to live in such an elevated state of awareness everyday.  Maybe you should hold an 'empty holster protest' in your front yard  8) (I kid/I kid)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 06:43:13 AM by NE Bull »
β€œIt is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2012, 10:18:49 AM »
I lived on 23rd street between Holdredge and Vine by myself for three years of undergrad.  It was a sketchy area, but the trouble stayed away for the most part.  I had to park in an alley that backed up to a drug house. 

The owners of that house transacted a lot of business, but actually policed the alley and surrounding area pretty well.  They would break up fights, send junkies on their way etc.  Oddly enough, they ran a business and didn't wan any reason for police calls to the area.  The police were aware of the situation, but didn't do much about it.  I guess the cops were more concerned about violence and robberies that would happen not far away.

They new I had guns (no garage to pull into and unload the trunk after shooting).  I kept them all locked up, except the 12ga that was kept in the bedroom whenever I was home.

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 02:30:46 PM »
Well, they've only come back very intermittently since I called the cops on them the other night. One or two still collect every once in a while, but for no longer than a half hour or so. They still scatter every time I come outside or come home.

The neighbors have been pretty diligent about letting me know if anything happens while I'm gone. One stopped me yesterday to let me know they were out there while I was in class, said he overheard one say. "How anybody gonna know who did it?"

Side note: for those of you who never heard, my other neighbor has had 2 attempted home invasions in the past month. They didn't get a good look at the perps.

I'm going to assume they are not complete retards, and will not attempt something while I am home. I'm headed out to Sedelia for three days, leaving tomorrow night. Anyone have an extra car they wanna park in my driveway? :)

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 03:48:03 PM »
http://www.midwayusa.com/find?newcategorydimensionid=4292

Ever think about getting things listed on the page above?
$9 for an alarm that goes off when a door or window is opened, I may have to invest in something like that...

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2012, 04:17:51 PM »
Already have 5 motion sensors, a sensor on every door, glass break detector, and a disturbance detector on my safe which has 2 of the aforementioned motion sensors covering it. It calls my cell when ever they go off, which is usually my dumbass when I wake up and walk into the hallway.

Well worth the money in my mind, but these are just reactionary/defensive. I just assume nothing happen in the first place.

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2012, 08:11:54 PM »
Maybe we need to collect up some volunteers to go smoke a few cigarettes in your driveway periodically while you are gone. Just to keep up the image of activity going on.

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2012, 09:02:54 PM »
Pick up football game in the yard anybody?

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2012, 08:36:29 AM »
Maybe bring a picnic table and have a good gun cleaning session.

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2012, 10:54:20 AM »
i've got a 5 foot folding table, who supplies the chairs?
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.