< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: New to the forum, seeking instruction and range availability.  (Read 2698 times)

Offline Neeco

• It is what it isn't...
  • Steel Benefactor
Hey all!

New to the .org and the forums, and proud to contribute when and where I can! 

Couple of quick questions:

1) Is there a thread anyone can point me to that goes over the Clubs and Ranges near by?  If not, can anyone give me a brief synopsis? I am looking for both the ability to take a short trip for basic practice/training, and also for full day excursions of plinking and friendly competitions with friends.

2) Are there any local 'smiths that are preferred?  I am having an issue with a recent new acquire (Sig Mosquito) and if I can't get it fixed, would like an expert opinion on it (besides "Sell it fast and never look back!") -  There is a bit of reasoning behind my purchase against my better judgement.  The "skeeter" has a couple of functions for a "90%" type trainer. One being the de-cocker.  My wife is just starting to join me at the family land to plink around and this one was bought with her in mind.  Another reason for the Sig was the manual thumb safety and its size and heft. 

3) Who should I start researching for basic through advanced classes? Plan on the CCW sometime soon, and also would love to learn to shoot 3 Gun.  Or any type of friendly competitions for that matter, if I can get better that is! Ha!

Thanks for reading my book!  Glad to be here and looking forward to talking with some local people for a change!!!

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
Re: New to the forum, seeking instruction and range availability.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 04:31:46 PM »
Hey all!

New to the .org and the forums, and proud to contribute when and where I can! 

Couple of quick questions:

1) Is there a thread anyone can point me to that goes over the Clubs and Ranges near by?  If not, can anyone give me a brief synopsis? I am looking for both the ability to take a short trip for basic practice/training, and also for full day excursions of plinking and friendly competitions with friends.

2) Are there any local 'smiths that are preferred?  I am having an issue with a recent new acquire (Sig Mosquito) and if I can't get it fixed, would like an expert opinion on it (besides "Sell it fast and never look back!") -  There is a bit of reasoning behind my purchase against my better judgement.  The "skeeter" has a couple of functions for a "90%" type trainer. One being the de-cocker.  My wife is just starting to join me at the family land to plink around and this one was bought with her in mind.  Another reason for the Sig was the manual thumb safety and its size and heft. 

3) Who should I start researching for basic through advanced classes? Plan on the CCW sometime soon, and also would love to learn to shoot 3 Gun.  Or any type of friendly competitions for that matter, if I can get better that is! Ha!

Thanks for reading my book!  Glad to be here and looking forward to talking with some local people for a change!!!

Where are you located?

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 04:53:27 PM »
www.NebraskaConcealedCarry.com for Concealed Carry Training

www.precisionresponse.4t.com for advanced training

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 04:55:02 PM »
For Ranges:

www.engc.us    (outdoor by Louisville south of Omaha)

www.lincolnikes.org   (outdoor by Lincoln)

www.thunderalley.us  (indoor in Lincoln)

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 04:55:59 PM »

Offline Neeco

• It is what it isn't...
  • Steel Benefactor

Offline Neeco

• It is what it isn't...
  • Steel Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 05:08:49 PM »
Thanks for the links!

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 05:14:16 PM »
For competitions:

www.rockyourglock.tripod.com (at Lincoln Ike's range, patterned after GSSF matches, but open to all brands of firearms)

Indoor matches in the winter Rock 'N Thunder at Thunder Alley

3-gun, steel challenge and USPSA at Louisville. www.easternnebraskapracticalshooters.com

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 05:20:49 PM »
The Bullet Hole in LaVista Ne offers CCW, beginner and advanced training, all done indoors and year round.
www.thebh.com

88 Tactical in Tekemah Ne. also offers novice, CCW and advanced classes. 
www.88tactical.com

I work as an Instructor for both companies and if you have any specific questions I am glad to assist.

- Shawn
"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline lneuke

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 06:43:05 PM »
I had a Sig Mosquito for a couple years before I sold it.  I loved the way it felt in my hand, and because I work in Tool & Die I was able to keep it running for the most part (otherwise it only good for a malfunction drill pistol  :laugh:).  It had a LOT of problems, and I recently sold it a couple months ago because I was sick of fixing it constantly.  Just out of curiosity, what problems were you having with it?  I might be able to give some advice... However, if you're going to spend any money at a gunsmith on the Mosquito, I would sell it and buy an M&P 22 or a Ruger SR22.  They are much better and have the same features as the Mosquito, and they are within its price range as well. 

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 07:27:33 PM »
i have a mosquito and have had only a few FTE problems...mostly from weak 22 ammo.  CCI works really good in mine.  maybe contact Sig and see if they can fix it for you for free or cheaply.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline lneuke

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 09:26:57 PM »
i have a mosquito and have had only a few FTE problems...mostly from weak 22 ammo.  CCI works really good in mine.  maybe contact Sig and see if they can fix it for you for free or cheaply.

CCI worked great for my Mosquito, until the gun had problems with light primer strikes...then it would only work around 70% of the time.  Other than that, Mosquitos seem to have good luck with CCI.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 09:43:33 PM »
Neeco:

If you live in Lincoln and want CCW instruction, the Very Modest Chris Zeeb is about the Best You Can Get around those parts........Chris and his partner, Roger Terrell.   You won't do any better.

So you might want to back up a few posts, send a PM to Chris and find out when his next class is forming, assuming that you are pretty much ready for it.    His classes shoot at Thunder Alley, right on the east side of Lincoln.

If you need to practice your shooting before taking a CCW class [which is always highly recommended], zip over to Thunder Alley and meet Randy Lauer, the range owner.    Practice shooting until you're ready.

Welcome to the NFOA Forum.   

sfg
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 10:00:42 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline lneuke

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 09:54:50 PM »
I think that was meant for Neeco haha

also, as a coincidence, I took my CCW class with Chris and really enjoyed it.  I would definitely recommend him as well.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2012, 10:02:24 PM »
Ineuke:

I was just trying to pull an endorsement out of you.

Thank you,

sfgps-correction made.
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Neeco

• It is what it isn't...
  • Steel Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2012, 08:21:24 AM »
Neeco:

If you live in Lincoln and want CCW instruction, the Very Modest Chris Zeeb is about the Best You Can Get around those parts........Chris and his partner, Roger Terrell.   You won't do any better.

So you might want to back up a few posts, send a PM to Chris and find out when his next class is forming, assuming that you are pretty much ready for it.    His classes shoot at Thunder Alley, right on the east side of Lincoln.

If you need to practice your shooting before taking a CCW class [which is always highly recommended], zip over to Thunder Alley and meet Randy Lauer, the range owner.    Practice shooting until you're ready.

Welcome to the NFOA Forum.   

sfg

SemperFiGuy~

Thanks for the info! I look to complete my CCW relatively soon, but am currently crunched for time. I work full time in IT at a plastics manufacturer, go to class full time in the evenings for a degree in CIT, and what little extra time I have left is reserved for my beautiful wife and 3 boys (4,2,.5).  An hour at the range is a once a week deal IF I am lucky.  Any time for an extra class would have to be worked into the family time, and the wife is particularly greedy with that time.  ;D

I work within throwing distance of Thunder Alley and have met both Randy and his son.  As a matter of fact, I am taking the Mosquito there today to see if the polish and grease work will help fire NON-CCI rounds.  I picked up some Rem 333 and of course a few more boxes of CCI-Standard (So I can at least get some time in). 

Is there a source for Mini-Mags in Lincoln?  DEGuns, ThunderAlley, nor the box stores have any on hand.  I can always order some up but would like some for today's session.

To everyone else who posted: I will try and answer any questions you had.

First off, Thank you Chris Z and sjwsti for the links!!!

Ineuke - I am beginning to understand your frustration! The most common issue I am having is a FTE/FTL combination.  Either the expended casing won't eject fully, or the slide doesn't go far enough to pick up the next round.  To me this would point directly to weak rounds and/or lack of lubrication.

The main reasons for this purchase were the de-cocker and size (90%).  I wanted something that felt like the real deal and would be safe (most importantly) and cheap to shoot. It seems that I should have completed my research before having an all to common "impulse" buy.   As to the weapon itself, it shot CCI Standards without a hitch, but would FTE/FTL almost every round of Federal Bulk.  So I learned right away, the "cheap" part of my list would be out the door, if I can not get it broke in for the bulk ammo.

After my first session, I brought it home, re-read the manual and noticed a couple things I missed in my "glance" the first time.  Specifically that it comes with VERY LITTLE lubrication.  Also, that the Mini's are a recommended ammunition for at least 500 rounds of "Break in".  Well, that brings me back to not being able to find Mini-Mag's locally.  I am part of a few forums and most are suggesting that I try the Rem 333 ( 36gr 1280 velocity) and continue shooting the CCI Standards (that work well) until I can get the Mini's.

Another thing I realized I missed on my first session: The mosquito had enough trouble early on that they started sending it with a second spring.  This was found nicely tucked beneath the padded foam of the case.  Per the instructions, the weapon is shipped with the "HV" spring and that the second spring is for "SV".  I assume that it may be beneficial to use the standard velocity spring with standard velocity loads.... So that will be another part of the session today.

Overall, I really like the feel and the weight of this particular .22 and hope that I can get it to chew some cheaper rounds... If not, and it remains functional, I will just use the slightly more expensive loads and deal with it.

Offline lneuke

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2012, 02:29:20 PM »
Try putting some Remington Golden Bullets or Remington Thunderbolt through it.  The Mosquito ate those up almost as reliably as the CCI stuff. 

One thing I did to combat the FTE malfunctions was I made a precision brass lap on a lathe, and used some very fine expensive diamond lapping compound and polished the interior of the chamber.  That seemed to help noticeably with a lot of the malfunctions (this is something only a gunsmith should perform, unless you know what you're doing).  However, I was never able to get Federal or Winchester to work hardly at all in the gun, with the exception of one trick...if you spray down the ammo in the box with a little Rem-oil aerosol before you load it...I wouldn't recommend doing this with anything else, but it actually worked if nothing else was available. 

I also never did get the weak extra spring working correctly.  It always seemed to create more problems than the higher strength one. 

Offline Neeco

• It is what it isn't...
  • Steel Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2012, 03:15:33 PM »
Try putting some Remington Golden Bullets or Remington Thunderbolt through it.  The Mosquito ate those up almost as reliably as the CCI stuff. 

One thing I did to combat the FTE malfunctions was I made a precision brass lap on a lathe, and used some very fine expensive diamond lapping compound and polished the interior of the chamber.  That seemed to help noticeably with a lot of the malfunctions (this is something only a gunsmith should perform, unless you know what you're doing).  However, I was never able to get Federal or Winchester to work hardly at all in the gun, with the exception of one trick...if you spray down the ammo in the box with a little Rem-oil aerosol before you load it...I wouldn't recommend doing this with anything else, but it actually worked if nothing else was available. 

I also never did get the weak extra spring working correctly.  It always seemed to create more problems than the higher strength one. 

I did pick up some Goldens yesterday in prep for todays trials.  We shall see!

Last night I polished up the feed ramp a bit and cleaned greased the slide.  Hopefully it handles the Golden's... 

I don't pretend to know ANYTHING about gunsmithing so I will leave that type of stuff to the pro's (until I learn of course!)

Thanks again for your input!

Offline Neeco

• It is what it isn't...
  • Steel Benefactor
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2012, 07:09:52 AM »
Range session 2:

Didn't have the same luck with the second box of CCI Standards.  Had 40ish failures out of 80.  The Winchester 333 pack was even worse with something like 50 failures out of 70.  The star of the day was the Golden Bullets from Remington. I had 99/100 successful.  The one that failed was a FTE and I am almost positive it was a lemon round. 

Unfortunately, the Mosquito is just not liking much of anything other than high priced, HV type ammo.

I still need to find some mini-mags.  Both Walmarts, DEGuns and Thunder were out. 

On the good side, I was getting >1" Groups at 15' with the Golden Bullets.  Not to bad for a noob.

Looks like more polishing/cleaning this week. 

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2012, 09:35:37 AM »
For competitions:

www.rockyourglock.tripod.com (at Lincoln Ike's range, patterned after GSSF matches, but open to all brands of firearms)

Indoor matches in the winter Rock 'N Thunder at Thunder Alley

3-gun, steel challenge and USPSA at Louisville. www.easternnebraskapracticalshooters.com

The Weeping Water Gun Club also hosts a number of competitions each year.  Their Team Rifle, Heavy Metal, and their unique 3-gun matches are a lot of fun. 

http://www.weepingwatergunclub.com/

People also hold bowling pin shoots throughout the year (well, at least while it is warm) that are supposed to be fun.  I still haven't made it out to one, but I hear it is a seriously good time.  You'll have to do a search for those, however. 

Zeeb used to have a site up that pulled all the bowling pin info together, but it hasn't been updated since 2008.  (!)  If nothing else, though, you can use it to get information about pin shoot rules and divisions.

http://nebraskapinshooters.tripod.com/index.html

I'll put in another plug for the competitions at ENGC.  We have a lot of fun down there shooting USPSA Action Pistol, Steel Challenge, and Multigun matches.  As Chris said, http://easternnebraskapracticalshooters.com

...and we have a Zombie Match this Sunday!  http://precisionresponse.4t.com/Zombie1/ZombieMatch.html

If nothing else, come on out to see what action pistol competitions can look like.  The Zombie Match is held using mostly-USPSA rules.

If you are interested in rifle competitions, ENGC hosts a LOT of those also.  http://www.engc.us
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com