< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Looking for Ammo/Bullets today......  (Read 3682 times)

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
Looking for Ammo/Bullets today......
« on: April 10, 2009, 10:16:35 PM »
At Wally World, Guns Unlimited and Cabela's...... 147gr .355"....... no dice ...... nor 124 gr, either.  Cabela's had NO rifle or pistol primers.  31 bucks/ 1000 at GU....... Wally World had exactly ONE (1) box of .357 and ONE (1) box of .44 Mag....... and a half dozen boxes of .357 sig.  None of the above businesses could tell me when they would get more: the distributors were not keeping any inventory on hand, because they did not want to pay taxes on it in this tight economy was one of the reasons given.....

GU pistol cabinet was as empty as I have ever seen it.

Cabela's gun counter was standing room only (middle of the afternoon) and I had to wait 20 minutes to get a salesguy to get me some Bluedot (In the forelorn hope that I might one day actually find some 147gr 9mm HPs to put in front of it....... grumblegrumble). Lotsa guns getting sold, judging by the amount of paperwork being filled out....... the elderly couple in line in front of me wanted to "buy a handgun, not sure what kind, never had one before".... the salesguy showed them a Glock and an XD in 9mm, and then figured out that they were from Minnesota, and explained that Cabela's would have to ship it to a FFL in their home state ($35+ whatever the recieving FFL charged for the transfer), and it might be better for them to buy it from a retailer back home....

When they turned around to leave, I told them, "I overheard that you were from Minnesota.  The guy that gave my concealed carry class is from Minnesota- Paul Horvick- he gives handgun familiaization classes, and travels- you might look him up."  I gave them his website..... they asked me, " We don't know anything about handguns, but wanted to get one before we can't get one.... what do YOU recomend?  I asked them what they wanted it for-" its a tool- right tool for the right job..... if you want to saw down trees, you get a chainsaw, if you want to cut a piece of lumber, get a skillsaw".... home defense? CCW?   They again asked me what I recomended...... I told them I carry a 9mm Springfield, but that would not mean that that is what they should get- they should try different guns, and keep in mind the purpose of the gun- a carry gun has to be small and light, a target gun has to be accurate, a plinking gun should be in a common caliber so ammo is cheap and plentiful......

...... they wrote down Paul's website and left......

"We don't know anything about handguns, but wanted to get one before we can't get one.... "

That right there is why the ammo is in such short supply.  What I can't figure out is why the manufacturers/retailers are not ramping up to meet the demand.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Looking for Ammo/Bullets today......
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 10:29:50 PM »
Jim, have you ever reloaded Rainier plated bullets?

I get them from Midway and they have been in stock. Good enough for plinking and games IMHO

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=435916
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 11:12:34 PM »
Jim, have you ever reloaded Rainier plated bullets?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=435916

Yessir.  I stopped using them when the price doubled at Cabela's..... switched to Berry's.

I use plated bullets for plinking/target practice rounds...... stuff I am pushing as fast as possible, I like jacketed bullets.  Right now, I am trying to build a 9mm round that will reliably knock a bowling pin off a table at 8 yards out of an EMP's 3" barrel. 115gr RN UMC factory loads won't do it.  147 grain Hornady Custom personal defense rounds will, but they are $1 a pop...... bowlin' pin matches get spendy fast that way.....
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Burnsy87

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 11:03:03 AM »
I'm a newer shooter, and not into reloading yet.  Other than wally world, the best prices I have seen are at Scheel's, but its Blazer with aluminum casing, not brass.  I've been to 3 Wal-Marts the past week multiple times, can't find anything.  It's frustrating.  All I want are some .45 ACP!

Offline huskergun

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 06:35:21 PM »
"We don't know anything about handguns, but wanted to get one before we can't get one.... "

the lastpart of that statement right there should scare the hell out of all of us if you think about it.
It is time for gun owners, NFOA and yes the NRA and GOA to ramp up our oposition to any gun control and fight Obama with any thing and everything we have.
We are a free people and should not have to worry about this all the time. Maybe it's time to start harrassing the manufacturers.
Live free or die, I say.
Rich
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

No Free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 09:19:04 PM »
I resumed my search quest for some 9mm..... decided I'd better get some for plinking...... None at Cabela's, Wallyworld (Bellvue or Papillion) or Dick's (Papillion)......  settled on a brick of .22LR..... never thought I'd see the day a 20 spot would not buy 500 rounds of .22 ........ Inflation has begun.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 09:22:57 PM »
Burnsy, Cabela's had some .45 ACP FMJ (and .38Special) on a clearance end-cap.  Then again, they also had a case of 9mm 115gr FMJ at 8AM, according to the guy working there... he says it was gone by 10 after 8.........

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 10:18:09 PM »
If you want CCI Blazer Brass .45 ACP, Walmart usually gets it in on Tuesday mornings, on the shelf by around 10:00am. It took me 3 weeks of hitting ever Walmart in Omaha / CB area to get my supply up to an acceptable level. The last purchase I made was 7 boxes, all they had. The doofus working behind the counter asked "are you really buying all of it? why do you need so much ammo?" I just gave a disgusted sigh and said "yes I want all of it" and left it at that.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 10:23:23 PM »
I would prefer reloadable stuff.....

Offline Burnsy87

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009, 11:38:10 PM »
Thanks Jim and Buck, I'll be looking into both of your suggestions.  I appreciate it.

Offline Mike M.

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2009, 03:12:11 PM »
Burnsy Guns Unlimited had .45acp yesterday. Winchester white box for $ 19.
Mike

USAF 82-88, American Legion, NFOA,  NRA

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 05:13:13 PM »
JimP, I'd recommend getting a reloader now, Dillion has a pretty easy press to master, the Square Deal B, it loads only one caliber thought, if you want to reload multiple calibers, I'd get a 550 or 650.  I've got two SDB's.   You might try 3 Lee's out of Grand Island, they sell commercial reloads  and he's ships pretty reasonable if you don't want to reload yourself.  and Gene's a good guy to do business with.  It' raining outside and his number is in the basement or I'd post it now. 

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2009, 07:07:46 PM »
Wy, I already do reload..... but due to an ongoing remodeling project, I have not got started reloading 9mm yet (time and space issues).... we had our annual Easter family plinkin' event today and I wanted some fodder for the EMP...... with only personal defense rounds on hand, I left it home and brought the .45 instead...... and the 12 guage and a borrowed 20 for Eldest and the kids' .22s and my Ruger 22/45..... the big hit of the afternoon was my niece's boyfriend brought his M-4gery...... a good time was had by all.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2009, 07:33:11 PM »
Wy, I reload both 9mm and .45ACP on my Square Deal. Just takes a spare tool head, die set( SDB uses special dies) and the primer setup. Very good quality cartridges are turned out IMHO. The real draw back to the SDB is it will only reload pistol ammo, the other is that the proprietary die sets are expensive.

Right now I am trying to acquire all I need to reload .223...almost there, but I still need some small rifle primers and I decided to try  some Ramshot TAC powder

Since this picture was taken I have added the low primer warning system, and Dillon totally rebuilt my press for free under warranty, due to a broken handle. They also updated the powder measure for free. Since I bought the press used, I was very surprised by the excellent customer service, and I am not easily surprised,
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Roper

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2009, 07:52:55 PM »
I was at Scheel's in Lincoln today.  They had a sign in their ammo cabinet that limits the purchase to 2 boxes of 9mm and .45 per person.  No limit on .40 or other calibers - had quite abit of .40 on hand.  A few boxes of personal defense 9mm and .45, but not much.  Not much .223 none in quantities of 50/box or more.  The guy that I spoke with said that the ammo manufacturer's have a huge backlog and can't find enough primers , he said the Gov't is buying huge quantities for their armories.
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty.
Ronald Reagan

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2009, 09:18:59 AM »
I'm a newer shooter, and not into reloading yet.  Other than wally world, the best prices I have seen are at Scheel's, but its Blazer with aluminum casing, not brass.  I've been to 3 Wal-Marts the past week multiple times, can't find anything.  It's frustrating.  All I want are some .45 ACP!

Save your brass.  If you decide to reload, you'll be glad you did.  If you decide not to, people will pay for your cases.
NRA Life Member.

Offline FLUFF

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2009, 02:49:17 PM »
I have had good luck at Walmart !!! If you ask the sporting goods people they will tell you what they have coming for the night and approx what time it will be unloaded, Then you have to be standing at the register waiting for it to come off of the truck and get what you can before everybody else does. Even the Walmart employees want ammo. Most of the time any of the popular calibers are gone with in 30min of getting unloaded off of the truck. It will take some vigilance to get what you need.  There is going to be a case of 9mm coming in to my Walmat tonight,  So I'm headed to Walmart now.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2009, 07:55:11 PM »
It will take some vigilance to get what you need. 

.... like a bunch of junkies looking for a fix, only more erudite......

Offline 6mmkent

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2009, 09:14:49 PM »
Just a little heads up for gun owners and especially re-loaders.  Go to this link   http://wnd.com:80/index.php?fa=page.view&pageId=95733  The arms control treaty with Mexico contains language that would cause re-loader to be licensed otherwise they are considered "an illicit manufacturer".  Looks like a "under the back door" attempt to me

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2009, 09:20:47 PM »
The arms control treaty with Mexico contains language that would cause re-loader to be licensed otherwise they are considered "an illicit manufacturer". 

I've been called worse.... "Possible Domestic Terrorist" comes to mind...... Meh- when they outlaw what I do, I'll be an outlaw.