< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: How long to wait for CCW permit?  (Read 47322 times)

Offline daleemt

• Forum Member
Re: How long to wait for CCW permit?
« Reply #100 on: March 05, 2013, 07:24:37 PM »
I applied in Omaha no appointment needed there, still have 25 days left to wait

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #101 on: March 05, 2013, 09:12:23 PM »
I applied in Omaha no appointment needed there, still have 25 days left to wait

Welcome to the forum!  Lots of great people here, and me.  lol

Offline Greybeard

• Bronze Benefactor
  • Live Free or Die!!
« Reply #102 on: March 10, 2013, 09:15:20 AM »
Applied for my renewal at the Omaha Troop on 27 February at about 11:00 A.M., was the only one there. My permit arrived in the mail on 8 March. Almost fell over when it came that early.  :o
WØCHF

Offline bwarner

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #103 on: March 11, 2013, 01:33:53 PM »
After a 57 day wait,I finally received my permit in the mail today.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #104 on: March 11, 2013, 01:43:16 PM »
Applied for my renewal at the Omaha Troop on 27 February at about 11:00 A.M., was the only one there. My permit arrived in the mail on 8 March. Almost fell over when it came that early. 

5 business days required to have renewals done, so sounds like they are complying in that regard.

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #105 on: March 11, 2013, 01:46:39 PM »
Applied for my renewal at the Omaha Troop on 27 February at about 11:00 A.M., was the only one there. My permit arrived in the mail on 8 March. Almost fell over when it came that early.

I'm more surprised that you were the only one there when you applied! 

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #106 on: March 11, 2013, 03:56:13 PM »
I'm more surprised that you were the only one there when you applied!

If that means that the "rush" for permits and weapons is over then I'm glad!

Offline daleemt

• Forum Member
« Reply #107 on: March 11, 2013, 10:22:02 PM »

5 business days required to have renewals done, so sounds like they are complying in that regard.
After a 57 day wait,I finally received my permit in the mail today.
Do you remember what date you applied?

Offline bwarner

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #108 on: March 11, 2013, 11:22:11 PM »
Applied Jan 15,2013

Offline daleemt

• Forum Member
« Reply #109 on: March 12, 2013, 06:54:06 PM »
Thanks Duh!! I should of done the math. Mine was the 15 of feb. so I still have some wait time yet

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #110 on: March 13, 2013, 01:43:30 PM »
I think I read somewhere, all the State Patrol offices do the permit process by appointment, except Lincoln?

I would have rather done an appointment, even if that appointment was a couple months wait.  We stood in a cramp hallway, 3 hours plus.

The offices that do this process by appointment, I bet they get it all turned around in the 45 days.  Throwing everyone into a meat grinder the way it is done in Lincoln, no wonder the process is bogged down.

The part where you get fingerprinted and your picture taken is completely separate from the background check process.  One has nothing to do with the time frame of the other.

And as a comment, saying that the State Patrol will illegally deny permits just to eliminate their backlog is an interesting statement. 
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #111 on: March 13, 2013, 05:25:38 PM »

And as a comment, saying that the State Patrol will illegally deny permits just to eliminate their backlog is an interesting statement. 

If an office is doing all they can do, who says it would be illegal to stay in their timeline, and only do what you can do?  No office can walk on water.   I was not suggesting they did anything wrong, just brought up the possibility, they are over worked for the task at hand.   I do not know how they handle the possibility of them having too much work to do. 

I WAS NOT IMPLYING THEY ARE DOING ANYTHING WRONG.   I do not know, nor am I really interested in their business practices or how the process works. .   Like I have already said, if my permit shows up on day 44 or 84, I am in no hurry to get it.   I am looking at this like when it gets here, .005% of my life changes a little. 
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 05:33:25 PM by Gary »

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #112 on: March 13, 2013, 07:12:21 PM »
If an office is doing all they can do, who says it would be illegal to stay in their timeline, and only do what you can do?  No office can walk on water.   I was not suggesting they did anything wrong, just brought up the possibility, they are over worked for the task at hand.   I do not know how they handle the possibility of them having too much work to do. 

I WAS NOT IMPLYING THEY ARE DOING ANYTHING WRONG.   I do not know, nor am I really interested in their business practices or how the process works. .   Like I have already said, if my permit shows up on day 44 or 84, I am in no hurry to get it.   I am looking at this like when it gets here, .005% of my life changes a little. 

Here's what you said, Gary:
Pushing a rattlesnake into a corner, may not get the outcome we want.

If the law says 45 days, and we push the issue, they could start denying applicants, to free up their backlog, and tell us to reapply later, and pay the fees all over again.

It was pretty clear what you were implying.

You just said: 
If an office is doing all they can do, who says it would be illegal to stay in their timeline, and only do what you can do?

That isn't what you said originally.  However, even if it was, this is not the current situation.  The law says it must be within a certain time frame, and if the State Patrol is unable to finish within that frame, that the permit MUST be issued. 

The State Patrol is currently unable to consistently issue/deny permits within the time frame, and yet they are not issuing the permits as required by law.

My point is simple---we all know that their office is understaffed and overworked.  As such, responding politely to them, notifying them that they are not in compliance with the law, and notifying our representatives that the State Patrol is currently not in compliance with the law, will have an effect.  It worked last year, it'll work again.  Perhaps, it might even work well enough that they will add staffing so it keeps being a timely process.

Ignoring it will not fix the problem.  As we found last year, politely being factual about the situation works.

The people at the State Patrol are good folks, trying to do many things.  It isn't their fault that there are problems---but at the same time, it is their responsibility to fix the problem, and if we want the problem fixed, it is our responsibility to let people know that there is a problem to be fixed.

That's my opinion, everyone else can certainly ignore it.  However, I strongly suggest sentences like "If the law says 45 days, and we push the issue, they could start denying applicants, to free up their backlog, and tell us to reapply later, and pay the fees all over again" not occur, because such an action WOULD be illegal, and implying that the State Patrol staff would do so is not helpful.

Many people already find it rather offensive that we have to effectively petition to exercise our rights---but we are doing it, because it is the law.  For those people, waiting even longer is simply not acceptable.  In cases like this, notifying the appropriate representatives that there is an issue gets us closer to a solution.
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline bloodypiker

• Forum Member
« Reply #113 on: March 19, 2013, 06:46:47 AM »
It would appear they are getting the wait under 45 days. I called yesterday to check on the status; I'm on day 40 since I applied. She told me that my permit has been approved and its out for processing (whatever that entails). She told me if I don't have it by Monday to call back.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #114 on: March 19, 2013, 02:12:40 PM »
Are my posts here a soufflé recipe where the ingredients are so critical to the outcome of the meal?

How about I quote you? " It was pretty clear what you were implying"

If it is clear, it was only clear in your head, where you are trying to make something out of nothing. 

I have been a gun dealer, I am a voting life member of the NRA, member GOA, member of several gun right organizations, and my wife is a state employee of 35 years.  My wife and I fully support the Constitution as it was written, all of it.  Maybe because of my wife working in a state office, I see another perspective in the issuing of these permits. Zero tolerance is most always a bad thing. 

If the fine folks at the NSP take 90 days to issue me a permit, I am not going to get my panties in a wad about it and cause a ruckus.   

The Nebraska laws, the way they are interpreted, allow me my gun rights pretty well without this permit in my pocket, and I am not at wits end checking the mail daily.   In fact, my wife and I check the mail about twice a week.  The first few days my permit arrives, will go unnoticed in the mail box. 

I have close friends that own a gun store.  One of the largest in the state.    They do not have CCW permits.  Don't want them.  Why?  The Nebraska law already allows them, as just and prudent citizens of the State of Nebraska, to go about their business, with protection as they see fit.  For them, as they see the law, they have less rights holding a permit.  I cannot disagree with that line of reasoning, I see advantages in doing it from both sides.

I was a CCW permit holder in the 70's, in Iowa, Council Bluffs,  a state where having one is not a right, it was an option to issue one by the local sheriff.  Many people were denied, told they did not need one.   All the years I owned a gun store, in Nebraska, the law served as my right to protect myself.  Nothing has changed.

Now if I were all excited about getting my permit asap, I have exactly 384 more hours to wait.  lol

« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 04:19:32 PM by Gary »

Offline Bucket

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #115 on: March 19, 2013, 02:52:20 PM »
Are my posts here a soufflé recipe where the ingredients are so critical to the outcome of the meal?

How about I quote you? " It was pretty clear what you were implying"

If it is clear, it was only clear in your head, where you are trying to make something out of nothing. 

I have been a gun dealer, I am a voting life member of the NRA, member GOA, member of several gun right organizations, and my wife is a state employee of 35 years.  My wife and I fully support the Constitution as it was written, all of it.

However, zero tolerance is most always a bad thing. 

If the fine folks at the NSP take 90 days to issue me a permit, I am not going to get my panties in a wad about it.

The Nebraska laws, the way they are interpreted, allow me my gun rights pretty well without this permit in my pocket, and I am not at wits end checking the mail daily.   In fact, my wife and I check the mail about twice a week.  The first few days my permit arrives, will go unnoticed in the mail box. 

I have close friends that own a gun store.  One of the largest in the state.    They do not have CCW permits.  Don't want them.  Why?  The Nebraska law already allows them, as just and prudent citizens of the State of Nebraska, to go about their business, with protection as they see fit.  For them, as they see the law, they have less rights holding a permit.  I cannot disagree with that line of reasoning, I see advantages in doing it from both sides.

I was a CCW permit holder in the 70's, in Iowa, Council Bluffs,  a state where having one is not a right, it was an option to issue one by the local sheriff.  Many people were denied, told they did not need one.   All the years I owned a gun store, in Nebraska, the law served as my right to protect myself.  Nothing has changed.

Now if I were all excited about getting my permit asap, I have exactly 384 more hours to wait.  lol

So you're okay with the NSP not complying with the law as it is written?  It's one thing to say you are not in a rush to get your permit, but it's another to let the NSP exceed the deadline when there is clearly language in the law that compels them to do otherwise. 

An issue like this goes well beyond gun rights, but goes instead to the role of government in society.  Do you have the option to miss statutory deadlines if you get really busy, particularly if there is a mechanism in the law to take care of your obligations? 

Here's an example, suppose you get behind on your taxes because of a personal situation and fail to file your state return on time.  The state allows you to request an extension, but you can't be bothered to use that.  Do  you think the government is going to cut you any slack?  Why give the same to the NSP.

For them to fail to issue a permit within the statutory guidelines, particularly when there is clear direction for them to issue within 45 days even if the investigation isn't complete shows a complete disregard for the law.   Whatever your needs are with respect to the CHP, it's NOT okay for the NSP to disregard laws passed by the legislature and signed by the Governor.  They are no more above the law than you are.  If you accept that the state police can disregard statutes put in place specifically for this purpose then you give them carte blanche to do it elsewhere.  No one is above the law.

It's one thing for you to say "I'm not worried about it," but many people are asking instead "why can't the NSP follow the law?"  I think the latter statement is more important.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #116 on: March 19, 2013, 04:27:28 PM »
Personally, I think a person not walking down the road, in chains, cleaning ditches, has a God given right to protection, with a firearm, hatchet, bazooka, whatever.  A free man, woman or child should have the right to self protection.   Once a freeman becomes a felon, then his rights should stripped away, and that is where ditch cleaning would come in handy. 

Four states in our union pretty much get it correctly, Vermont being one of them, when it comes to Concealed Carry.   To have the state issue me a permit, for something my oath of citizenship already gives me, clearly spelled out, , is a little sad.

Here is my federal permit to keep and bear arms.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

My zero contact with police officers in any sort of official capacity over the years (I am an old geezer), except for a parking ticket level events, along with the hundreds of millions of American Citizens, that keep our noses clean, shows the people are alert, vigil, trustworthy, in command, and not to be walked on by our elected governing officers.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 04:32:19 PM by Gary »

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #117 on: March 19, 2013, 04:37:43 PM »
I think it is interesting to read how one permit takes a few days (renewal) and others take months, and how members here react to the wait times.  I am not belittling the membership here and this discussion, , however, I am not thinking our public offices are in any sort of dastardly violation of the state laws by doing all they can do it get the torrent of permits applied for, issued. 

If it has been 45 days, how about getting a dozen roses sent over to the NSP, telling them to have a nice day?   I could see myself doing that, over raising a stink about compliance to a law.

382 more hours.

Offline bburen

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #118 on: March 19, 2013, 05:18:48 PM »
Just got my permit today!!  :D       51 days :(

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #119 on: March 19, 2013, 06:18:57 PM »
To me the reason it is okay to call and respectfully ask if the permit is ready on the 45th day is that the law has an accommodation for high volumes of permits... that they be issued anyway on the 45th day and then if there is a problem the SP can contact you and cancel the permit/straighten out the issue.  I tell my CHP participants to call and RESPECTFULLY ask if the permit has been mailed yet (on day 45).  If not, I tell them to ask politely what a good time to come pick it up would be.  I'm not encouraging anyone to lecture the handful of staff on state law... they already know it. 
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.