< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: How long to wait for CCW permit?  (Read 46920 times)

Offline rudy

• NFOA Full Member
Re: How long to wait for CCW permit?
« Reply #80 on: February 26, 2013, 06:40:10 PM »

Adding a UT permit in addition to your NE permit, picks you up another 7 states.... If you never travel to any of these states (Minnesota probably the most common one people want the UT permit for), then you are correct no sense in getting a UT permit. It all depends on where you travel to, and if you want additional states of coverage
+1  I'm getting my UT for MN.

Picked up my permit today, 48 days total.  Maybe if they continue to do overtime on weekends, the wait will get down to less than 45 days.

Offline wahoo_t

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #81 on: February 27, 2013, 07:03:41 PM »
finally got my permit....day 49 yesterday...day 45 was friday nothing in mail  box,nothing saturday either......called NSP first thing monday and was nice and it was in mail box tuesday...finally over.........uuuuuugh
The Wahoo_T

"No Gun is a Danger to the Innocent When Held by a Man of Morals"-unknown author_

Offline Opusnbill7

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #82 on: February 27, 2013, 09:30:05 PM »

Adding a UT permit in addition to your NE permit, picks you up another 7 states.... If you never travel to any of these states (Minnesota probably the most common one people want the UT permit for), then you are correct no sense in getting a UT permit. It all depends on where you travel to, and if you want additional states of coverage

One thing I'm having trouble finding is how often you have to renew the UT permit, and at what cost?  I'm considering adding a UT permit, but I would really only need it for MN most likely.  Kind of hoping maybe MN will wise up and start taking NE's permit instead... :)

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #83 on: February 27, 2013, 09:47:10 PM »
UT permit costs $51 and is good for 5 years

After 5 years, you pay a $15 renewal fee for a 5 year extension (no class needed to renew)

Offline LM4202

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on: February 28, 2013, 08:32:10 AM »
One thing I'm having trouble finding is how often you have to renew the UT permit, and at what cost?  I'm considering adding a UT permit, but I would really only need it for MN most likely.  Kind of hoping maybe MN will wise up and start taking NE's permit instead... :)

Its totally messed up that many states honors Minnesotas permit, including Nebraska, yet Minnesota only honors a few other states permits.  I think thats the reason New Mexico took Minnesota off their reciprocal list.

Offline rudy

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #85 on: February 28, 2013, 10:58:15 AM »
Its totally messed up that many states honors Minnesotas permit, including Nebraska, yet Minnesota only honors a few other states permits.  I think thats the reason New Mexico took Minnesota off their reciprocal list.
As a former MN resident, I can tell you that a lot of Minnesotans are mad about this issue, too.  The commissioner of public safety is supposed to review other state's carry laws and determine whether they are substantially similar or not on an annual basis.  The commissioner refuses to do so and there are no reprecussions.  Former Governor Pawlenty said he would fix the problem, but never did.  Old thread on the old MN carry forum discussing this topic: http://www.tccarry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4689&view=next

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #86 on: February 28, 2013, 11:24:16 AM »
As a former MN resident, I can tell you that a lot of Minnesotans are mad about this issue, too.  The commissioner of public safety is supposed to review other state's carry laws and determine whether they are substantially similar or not on an annual basis.  The commissioner refuses to do so and there are no reprecussions.  Former Governor Pawlenty said he would fix the problem, but never did.  Old thread on the old MN carry forum discussing this topic: http://www.tccarry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4689&view=next

Rudy to add to your point, he also finds little differences in overall firearms law and denies recognition/reciprocity for those.  If I remember correctly Nebraska is not recognized because our system of returning or appealing a denial of firearms rights is different than MN.

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #87 on: February 28, 2013, 02:40:47 PM »
There is something about alcohol and drug records that MN wants that we don't have.   I'll try to find that old correspondence.

Offline coachtaylor87

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on: February 28, 2013, 06:29:48 PM »
 :D Got my permit Day 51, probably would have been longer if I didnt call on Monday!

Offline bwarner

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #89 on: March 01, 2013, 01:46:27 PM »
Today is day 45 for me.Called the NSP,left them a message,will see if they return the call.I been background checked on two different occasions for NFA items.Don't understand the lenght of the waiting period,but with the current state of affairs in this country-gun wise,just want them to get it right.And the wait goes on.

Offline bwarner

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #90 on: March 05, 2013, 10:43:22 AM »
Today is day 50,finally got to speak with Julie at the NSP,after playing phone tag for 2 days.My current status is,I've completed the first back ground check and am in line for the second check behind 100 other applicants.She said it could be another week to week and a half.WOW.

Interesting that we,if I get mine, as permit holders must follow all state statues relating to CCW,but the administrators of the permit process don't.What a deal.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 11:03:06 AM by bwarner »

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #91 on: March 05, 2013, 02:15:12 PM »
oday is day 50,finally got to speak with Julie at the NSP,after playing phone tag for 2 days.My current status is,I've completed the first back ground check and am in line for the second check behind 100 other applicants.She said it could be another week to week and a half

NFOA board members et al.    It appears we need to rattle the proverbial cage again.   The law is the law and at a minimum a permit MUST be issued in 45 calender days (even if it must be rescinded later if you're found out to be a BG).  Might I suggest those of you beyond the time ALLOWED, contact your State Senator.  Yes, I know they are in session but as I watch NET 2, most of them are dozing off, not present or appear to be playing solitaire while The Cobra prattles on..... I would also contact the Gov.  Last fall, this "heat" made a difference. 

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #92 on: March 05, 2013, 03:47:19 PM »
Pushing a rattlesnake into a corner, may not get the outcome we want.

If the law says 45 days, and we push the issue, they could start denying applicants, to free up their backlog, and tell us to reapply later, and pay the fees all over again.

Me, I will wait quietly.  I am in no hurry, I waited years to apply, why push the snake into a corner?

I think we should start a raffle for the CCW permit that takes the longest to issue!   

Offline Bucket

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #93 on: March 05, 2013, 03:52:48 PM »
Pushing a rattlesnake into a corner, may not get the outcome we want.

If the law says 45 days, and we push the issue, they could start denying applicants, to free up their backlog, and tell us to reapply later, and pay the fees all over again.

Me, I will wait quietly.  I am in no hurry, I waited years to apply, why push the snake into a corner?

I think we should start a raffle for the CCW permit that takes the longest to issue!   

You have a good point, but it's also worth noting that there is nothing wrong with asking employees of the state to abide by the law.  If the law changes, so be it.  We can at least influence it through our legislators.  I think it's important to keep the pressure on and keep them accountable.  The way it's set up, as I understand it, is thay the MUST issue the permit within 45 days regardless of whether they have completed the investigation, with the option to rescind it later. 

Allowing the state to arbitrarily disregard the law because it's inconvenient is giving them a pass.  As citizens, we don't have that option.  I don't want to cede that right to the state either.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #94 on: March 05, 2013, 03:58:27 PM »
Gary...to alleviate your concerns.....we confronted this issue last year and things got back in line i.e. we got the outcome we wanted.  The legislature passed the law.  It is what it is.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #95 on: March 05, 2013, 04:10:33 PM »
Waiting patiently, day ??  In fact, I have no idea! 

I will know it is time for me to have my permit, when it comes in the mail.

Is that passive?  Yes.  Is it within my rights to puff up at day 46?  Not really, as some issues to me are not worth my getting riled up over.

I don't sweat the little things.

Glad my wife and I took the class, glad we applied for the permit, and glad I am in no big hurry waiting by the mailbox.

Offline Bucket

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #96 on: March 05, 2013, 04:13:49 PM »
Waiting patiently, day ??  In fact, I have no idea! 

I will know it is time for me to have my permit, when it comes in the mail.

Is that passive?  Yes.  Is it within my rights to puff up at day 46?  Not really, as some issues to me are not worth my getting riled up over.

I don't sweat the little things.

Glad my wife and I took the class, glad we applied for the permit, and glad I am in no big hurry waiting by the mailbox.
You don't have to get "puffed up" about anything, but it's perfectly reasonable to get on the phone and ask the question.  I've dealt with enough government bureaucracies in my life to know that accountability isn't something that's at the forefront of anyone's mind.  Sometimes it takes a nudge to get things moving.  Enough nudges and you can keep the system in line.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #97 on: March 05, 2013, 04:25:52 PM »
You don't have to get "puffed up" about anything, but it's perfectly reasonable to get on the phone and ask the question.  I've dealt with enough government bureaucracies in my life to know that accountability isn't something that's at the forefront of anyone's mind.  Sometimes it takes a nudge to get things moving.  Enough nudges and you can keep the system in line.

I think anyone that wants to call on the 46th day, is OK by me.  In fact, call on the 20th day and ask how it is going, fine by me. 

I am just adding my 2 cents, letting all who cares one way or the other know, some of us are OK with the process, and do not care about the days passing till the permits come in the mail.

My wife is a state employee, so maybe I see another side to this.   

I think on day 45, I will send the State Patrol roses, and tell them to go home a half hour early, and get some rest. 

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #98 on: March 05, 2013, 04:31:40 PM »
I think I read somewhere, all the State Patrol offices do the permit process by appointment, except Lincoln?

I would have rather done an appointment, even if that appointment was a couple months wait.  We stood in a cramp hallway, 3 hours plus.

The offices that do this process by appointment, I bet they get it all turned around in the 45 days.  Throwing everyone into a meat grinder the way it is done in Lincoln, no wonder the process is bogged down.

Offline Phantom

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #99 on: March 05, 2013, 05:14:16 PM »
would have rather done an appointment, even if that appointment was a couple months wait.  We stood in a cramp hallway, 3 hours plus.

The offices that do this process by appointment, I bet they get it all turned around in the 45 days.  Throwing everyone into a meat grinder the way it is done in Lincoln, no wonder the process is bogged down.

Gary those appointment's are so the person who take the fingerprints and Photos is in the office to do them.

It's my understanding that once those are done the info submitted and collected is all sent on to Lincoln and Lincoln them processes all of them for the state.
The local offices do not Issue the permits.

A office of the State patrol in Lincoln is responsible for doing the all the back ground checks and issuing the permits or denying them. 

If you check (not sure if it's this thread) old posts on the forum you'll see we already did address this to those in charge once sometime last Fall over the 45 day requirement  and it got better ......we had some that were at 60 to 85+ days and still waiting at the time.

I say maybe it need a follow up shot in the arm.  or maybe we need to send them a That a Boy for doing a much better job on keeping them close to or under the 45 day mandated time limit requirement.

Just to remind them that we are still watching it and them.  ;D

Edit update:
  http://nebraskafirearms.org/forum/index.php/topic,5365.0.html   is one of the later threads on this
AAllen and Dan W were some of the member spearheading this effort if i remember right.
We should all thank them for their effort on this issue. 

Thanks Guys.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 05:39:00 PM by Phantom »
"If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians would come out of the...the gene pool, they'd a stayed up in the trees and written evolution off as a bad idea.....Hell, I always thought the opposable thumb was overrated.  "-- Sheridan, "Babylon 5"