< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: How long to wait for CCW permit?  (Read 47362 times)

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
Re: How long to wait for CCW permit?
« Reply #140 on: March 29, 2013, 07:25:53 PM »
I'll bet that most of those who said so lived in strongly rural areas, with a low population density.  (

Probably, and everyone knows everyone else.  When I taught in Clarks, NE, a small village of 486 people, at the time, everyone knew everyone else.  And, we knew immediately when a stranger came into  town.  We also knew most everyone's out of town relatives who came to visit now and then.  So, when someone carried openly  everyone knew him  or her and  didn't pay any attention.  But, if an unknown person came into town carrying a weapon word got around very quickly.  As the deputy marshal I got calls when unknowns came into town carrying.  Even during pheasant season.  I never stopped anyone but I kept an eye on them.  On one occasion I got a call and went to Merrimman's bar to see who he was.   He looked weird.   He was wearing shabby clothing that didn't fit too well. Standing at the bar he was knocking down a pepsi in jerks.  Very poor motor skills, as if he was on something or coming off of something.  He had a vacant, thousand yard stare in his eyes.  I noticed the right pocket of the jacket he was wearing was weighed down as if something very heavy was in it.  Concealed firearm, I thought to myself?  I asked for some ID.  He ignored me. I asked again and he turned to face me and started walking toward me.  I pulled my 9mm Espana and ordered him to halt.  He turned around and began walking toward the door.   I shouted "Halt!".  When he put his hand into the pocket that was weighed down I pointed my pistol  at him and pulled the hammer back on it.  It was LOUD click, almost as loud as my knocking knees.  Everyone dove under tables and chairs, or jumped behind the bar.   He froze.  After that he was compliant. I took him outside and handcuffed him.  After a few moments on the radio I leaned that he matched the description of a man who had escaped from the mental  institution at Hasting the night previous.  He was there because he murdered someone but had been ruled insane.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #141 on: March 29, 2013, 07:28:59 PM »
Probably, and everyone knows everyone else.  When I taught in Clarks, NE, a small village of 486 people, at the time, everyone knew everyone else.  And, we knew immediately when a stranger came into  town.  We also knew most everyone's out of town relatives who came to visit now and then.  So, when someone carried openly  everyone knew him  or her and  didn't pay any attention.  But, if an unknown person came into town carrying a weapon word got around very quickly.  As the deputy marshal I got calls when unknowns came into town carrying.  Even during pheasant season.  I never stopped anyone but I kept an eye on them.  On one occasion I got a call and went to Merrimman's bar to see who he was.   He looked weird.   He was wearing shabby clothing that didn't fit too well. Standing at the bar he was knocking down a pepsi in jerks.  Very poor motor skills, as if he was on something or coming off of something.  He had a vacant, thousand yard stare in his eyes.  I noticed the right pocket of the jacket he was wearing was weighed down as if something very heavy was in it.  Concealed firearm, I thought to myself?  I asked for some ID.  He ignored me. I asked again and he turned to face me and started walking toward me.  I pulled my 9mm Espana and ordered him to halt.  He turned around and began walking toward the door.   I shouted "Halt!".  When he put his hand into the pocket that was weighed down I pointed my pistol  at him and pulled the hammer back on it.  It was LOUD click, almost as loud as my knocking knees.  Everyone dove under tables and chairs, or jumped behind the bar.   He froze.  After that he was compliant. I took him outside and handcuffed him.  After a few moments on the radio I leaned that he matched the description of a man who had escaped from the mental  institution at Hasting the night previous.  He was there because he murdered someone but had been ruled insane.

Thank You For Your Service!

Offline daleemt

• Forum Member
« Reply #142 on: March 29, 2013, 08:18:15 PM »
Good for you!! You put a bad guy  back in (I hope, who knows what the courts did)  In ones carrier (I am EMS) Sometimes the little thing we do make a difference, those are the ones we remember. Thank you, you may have saved a life.

Offline daleemt

• Forum Member
« Reply #143 on: March 29, 2013, 08:26:21 PM »
got mine in the mail today Day 43

Offline LTCetme

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #144 on: April 01, 2013, 09:20:28 PM »
Received mine this past weekend. 43 days post application submission.

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #145 on: April 01, 2013, 10:17:10 PM »
I noticed the right pocket of the jacket he was wearing was weighed down as if something very heavy was in it.  Concealed firearm, I thought to myself?

Awww....What was in the pocket??

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #146 on: April 02, 2013, 10:11:54 AM »
Awww....What was in the pocket??

Ah, I did forget to mention that.  It was a six inch length of gas pipe with a cap on the end.  He probably intended for it to be a club.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #147 on: April 06, 2013, 12:13:19 AM »
My wife called me, and said, your license came today.  I said, sweet.  I said, did yours come?  She said, no, not your CHP, your state business renewal license.  I said, O that, eww.

So I guess I am quietly excited that the cycle is near a close on the CWP.  Today was 45. 

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #148 on: April 06, 2013, 12:08:52 PM »
Day 46, something came in the mail today.  Both my wife's and my CHP cards, along with a congratulations letter from the State Patrol.

It was issued on the 42nd day, and arrived on the 46th day, so I believe that falls into the compliance of the state law statutes for those keeping score.

When we applied, being a gentleman, I had my wife go first, yet on the ID cards, which are chronological, my number is before hers.

This is my second CHP.  My first, issued in Iowa, was over 30 years ago in an age where few people had permits to have a concealed weapon.  The Iowa permit listed the weapon, and only that weapon could be used. I had them squeeze in a second weapon, that I also carried as a back up.

I remind myself and others, this is not a superman permit, where the world needs a superhero, and there is always a phone booth near by.  This is pretty much an ace card hidden in your sock, and the poker pot needs to be a hand that requires you to use it once, then the game is over.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 03:08:31 PM by Gary »

Offline Phantom

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #149 on: April 06, 2013, 06:42:12 PM »
Day 41 today....and there it was sitting in my mail box. 
"If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians would come out of the...the gene pool, they'd a stayed up in the trees and written evolution off as a bad idea.....Hell, I always thought the opposable thumb was overrated.  "-- Sheridan, "Babylon 5"

Offline RedDot

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #150 on: April 09, 2013, 05:25:22 PM »
Day 46 and wife and I both got ours.  Issued on day 42.  Time to start shopping something a bit more discreet than my FS M&P 45.  Better hurry though, wife is already making comments about how much purse space her SD9 takes up. :-X

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #151 on: April 09, 2013, 08:58:46 PM »
Day 46 and wife and I both got ours.  Issued on day 42.  Time to start shopping something a bit more discreet than my FS M&P 45.  Better hurry though, wife is already making comments about how much purse space her SD9 takes up. :-X

Our numbers are twins!  We were 42 & 46 also!

Offline Bucket

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #152 on: April 10, 2013, 04:10:47 PM »
I ran out to the Omaha station today to file my permit paperwork.  There were 3 guys in line ahead of me, but the two young ladies doing the processing went quickly, so it only took about 20 minutes and went without a hitch.  Like anything else with a bureaucracy, if you show up with the right documents and stamps, it usually goes easily.  I asked for a copy in case I have a chance to apply for the UT or FL permits too and they gladly gave me a printout.

The only thing that piqued my interest was the comment from one of the young women who finished up with the guy ahead of me and mumbled something like, "You should see your permit in the mail in 7-10 weeks."  I wasn't sure I heard her correctly, but she repeated it to me on the way out.

I can only think that she is either ill-informed, merely repeating what she's been told, or telling folks in order to manage expectations.  There's a chance it could be a combination of all or some of those possibilities as well. 

Offline dcjulie

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #153 on: April 10, 2013, 09:27:43 PM »
That is what they are telling people.  I was in yesterday to get my renewal and they said "average of 40-70 days" for initial permits.  I was told mine must come within 5 business days in the mail. ;)

Offline Burnsy87

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #154 on: April 16, 2013, 10:11:10 PM »
Yeah, I submitted my paperwork on March 12th and they told me 8-10 weeks.  The two women, and the Troopers who were in that area, were all pretty friendly, so I kept my mouth shut.  Not something they control.

Edit:  Approved the 17th, received the 19th.  8)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 03:32:47 PM by Burnsy87 »

Offline patrickdm

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #155 on: April 22, 2013, 04:07:10 PM »
Submitted mine on April 2nd at the Omaha NSP office. Had to go twice, had the wrong birth certificate the first time. Both times there was one person in front of me and I was in and out within 20 minutes. The young lady said five to seven weeks.

Offline ForTheGood

• Forum Member
« Reply #156 on: April 25, 2013, 05:51:29 PM »
Spotless record = 38 days.

These past couple days I've been getting antsy and checking the mailbox was a priority. Lo and behold, a card awarding me my God-given right was in the mailbox today!

Offline 69Firebird

• Forum Member
« Reply #157 on: April 25, 2013, 08:53:36 PM »
Hello everyone: I've been lurking here for a couple months and decided to join. I've learned a lot from you folks and thank you very much. I turned in my paperwork in Omaha on March 21 and my card was in the mail today. I wasn't expecting it this quick. Thanks again.     Steve

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #158 on: April 25, 2013, 09:08:27 PM »
Hello everyone: I've been lurking here for a couple months and decided to join. I've learned a lot from you folks and thank you very much. I turned in my paperwork in Omaha on March 21 and my card was in the mail today. I wasn't expecting it this quick. Thanks again.     Steve

Welcome to the forum AND to the world of CC (if you haven't already had a CHP).  Now go out there and be the most respectable and safe CHP'er out there so we can prove the nay-sayers wrong.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Bucket

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #159 on: May 09, 2013, 06:25:30 PM »
By my count, that's 34 days.  Tomorrow I hit 30 days since I turned in my app.  Hopefully I'll have a similar experience and will see it next week.