< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Anyone else into revolvers?  (Read 4652 times)

Offline dgroff

• Forum Member
Anyone else into revolvers?
« on: December 11, 2012, 03:32:09 PM »
Hello everyone, I see a bunch of talk about glocks, sigs, and 1911's, but nothing really about revolvers. Is there anyone else out there, that's really into revolvers? I mainly collect Colt and own a few pre-lock S&W. I make my runs around town and see what's for sale, but normally there really isn't anything out there. Maybe it's just the area?

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: Anyone else into revolvers?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 03:39:35 PM »
I have a pre 1930 H&R Premier Auto-loader that i love. It's been in the family longer than I have, as my grandad used to shoot it when he was half my age.

I love them, but you're right, they do seem to be a bit scarce around here.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 03:39:51 PM »
I picked up a old S&W 28 and man am I hooked. (I had a Excam ta-22 previously, but not much to boast about. )  Now I own a Model 10 as well, and am starting a collection of SA guns also.
There is something about the simplicity and reliability of a good ol wheel gun!
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 03:41:08 PM »
I don't collect them, but I like them. 

Sadly, my gun fodder budget has shriveled as the kids activities and appetites have eaten up much of it...... so I don't shoot them much anymore, as hat little I have for a component budget goes to feed the Carry gun and hunting rifles these days.

The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 03:42:31 PM »
Had them at the range on Turkey day weekend and some fella tried to trade me for a .45. I told him I wouldn't trade them for nothing. Then he went on to tell me it was a Hi-point.  :o  Danged near shot him where he stood  >:D How DARE he insult Smith and Wesson that way!
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline dgroff

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 03:46:57 PM »
Good to see there are others out there. It all started with me holding a Colt Python at Cabelas. After that, I was hooked. These are the last two revolvers I picked up, Bright Stainless and Blue  8)

Offline dgroff

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 03:51:28 PM »
Had them at the range on Turkey day weekend and some fella tried to trade me for a .45. I told him I wouldn't trade them for nothing. Then he went on to tell me it was a Hi-point.  :o  Danged near shot him where he stood  >:D How DARE he insult Smith and Wesson that way!

I was shooting a Python once and someone asked me if it was a Taurus....

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 03:58:31 PM »
Ernie Chambers has a gun named after him???? WTH?????

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 04:08:14 PM »
dgroff: Very pretty.

At my heart, I prefer a revolver, but semi-autos fill a role as well.

Only have a single revolver to my name, a S&W 686 Plus, 2.5" 357mag in stainless.  Daddy (er, me) loves it very much, and I tell it so after emptying the seven shots out of it's cylinder at the range  :kiss:

Haven't practice enough double action firing with it to make it a carry weapon, but I'd love to one day. 

But for me, it's like desert / a treat at the range.  Shoot my Sig, a shotgun or two, maybe a rifle ... all plain jane business... but then comes candy with the S&W :).  I just adore the thing through and through.  I wonder if I'm scared of losing some of that 'magic' if I get too much practice with it.... and it becomes common place :(.

Outside of my carry pistol (the Sig), the S&W is the only weapon I *always* take with me to any range (SFG has first hand experience with this heh), even if it doesn't allow shooting pistols (i'll leave the ammo in the truck).

As far as how I came across it - was at Guns Unlimited and mistakenly asked to hold it.  I was instantly in love and bought it on the spot.  Also picked up a Springfield 1911 at the time as well but that's not as important :P.   I have since learned ... if it's a revolver with S&W or Colt on the side, do NOT hold it in your hand.... you *will* buy it. 

The only exception to this was the S&W 500... since I can't fathom a use I'd ever have for such a beast... I was able to hold it, drool, and hand it back without my wallet trembling in fear :).

Bullet Hole has one of them funky low barrel revolver things as rentable item.  I'm kinda curious to try it to see how it feels.
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline dgroff

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 04:10:09 PM »
Ernie Chambers has a gun named after him???? WTH?????

Colt introduced the King Cobra in 1986. No reference to Ernie Chambers. I'm guessing the name was generated based off the other Colt Snake Guns; Anaconda, Boa, Diamondback, Python, Cobra, and King Cobra

Offline dgroff

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 04:15:46 PM »
dgroff: Very pretty.

At my heart, I prefer a revolver, but semi-autos fill a role as well.

Only have a single revolver to my name, a S&W 686 Plus, 2.5" 357mag in stainless.  Daddy (er, me) loves it very much, and I tell it so after emptying the seven shots out of it's cylinder at the range  :kiss:

The only exception to this was the S&W 500... since I can't fathom a use I'd ever have for such a beast... I was able to hold it, drool, and hand it back without my wallet trembling in fear :).

I really like my 6" S&W plus, but I wish that I had a 2.5". They aren't very common, I also carry a p239. If the ammo wasn't so $$$ on a S&W 500 I would consider it, but I also have very little interest in reloading.

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 05:08:37 PM »
Colt introduced the King Cobra in 1986. No reference to Ernie Chambers. I'm guessing the name was generated based off the other Colt Snake Guns; Anaconda, Boa, Diamondback, Python, Cobra, and King Cobra
Would it have helped if I put HTML sarcasm tags around that?

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 05:18:28 PM »
Courtesy of Bill Jordan:

"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline dgroff

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2012, 05:46:29 PM »
Would it have helped if I put HTML sarcasm tags around that?
I had to google Ernie Chambers.

Offline fbobum

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2012, 05:58:44 PM »
S&W 15-4...smooth as silk and dead on accurate.  A lot of fun to shoot and very reassuring to me...

Offline instag8tr

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2012, 07:14:42 PM »
one of my carry guns is a full TI Taurus 38spl snub. I love that gun. I think my wallet is heavier.

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2012, 09:20:57 PM »
Well, since Glock doesn't make a Revolver......... I do have a small collection of S&W and Ruger Revolvers.... They are a lot of fun to shoot!

My favorite.... The S&W 625 5" (.45acp) Revolver. One sweet revolver!

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2012, 10:20:48 AM »

You don't know what you're missing with a .500...

Offline UPCrawfish

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2012, 11:46:01 AM »
My current collection leans toward revolvers and in that area, tend to be Rugers. The Ruger grips are more comfortable in my hand and fit better.  (SP101, Security 6, Redhawk).  The current trend is toward s/a's to balance the pile  ;).   

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2012, 04:09:12 PM »
Always have favored revolvers over autos. My favorite is my trusty M-27 Smith .357 Mag. I think that today many have opted for the higher capacity available in modern autos. I still like the simplicity, accuracy and feel of classic wheel guns but have to admit that many of todays autos are fine tools.