< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: SCHOOL SHOOTING IN CONNECTICUT  (Read 9294 times)

Offline instag8tr

• Forum Member
SCHOOL SHOOTING IN CONNECTICUT
« on: December 14, 2012, 10:24:09 AM »
Get ready legislation is coming
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/reports-connecticut-police-evacuating-elementary-school-where-shooting-153815107.html
state police are entering a Connecticut elementary school after a shooting was reported there, spokesman Lt. Paul Vance told Yahoo News. Vance said the scene is still "active,' and that "every available on and off duty officer in the vicinity" is responding to the scene.

State police told the Hartford Courant that the shooter is believed to be dead . According to the newspaper, the gunman had been in the school's main office during the attack. Police said a person in one room had "numerous gunshot wounds." Three people were taken to a nearby hospital in an ambulance, according to NBC Connecticut.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 10:26:30 AM by instag8tr »

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: SCHOOL SHOOTING IN CONNECTICUT
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 11:52:41 AM »
I'm seeing reports now that at least 27 are dead. 

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 11:55:18 AM »
We've got to get firearms into the hands of school faculty. I bet these shootings would stop all together. The villains would find softer targets.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 12:05:38 PM »
Another sicko/coward who took his own life, too......

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 12:09:33 PM »
Our children practice fire drills and tornado all the time and in my lifetime I have never heard a report of a child dying in a school fire. Our schools provide zero security for our children.

I wonder how long this guy could have gone in an elementry school in Israel
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline instag8tr

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 12:13:17 PM »
I heard they are making a big deal on what the shooter was wearing.

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 12:19:16 PM »
We've got to get firearms into the hands of school faculty. I bet these shootings would stop all together. The villains would find softer targets.

While I am in no way against allowing armed citizens in schools, that wont stop these kinds of attacks. There simply aren't enough motivated people willing to arm and train. Teachers on this forum have stated that, even if armed, it wouldn't be their responsibility to move to the gunfire and stop the shooter.

The answer is simple (read Terror at Beslan and look at the Israeli security model). Every school should have, along with metal detectors and limited ingress and egress, a dedicated, armed security team. A team whose job is to move to the sound of gunfire and stop an active shooter.

But of course the anti gun far left will protest. The nut job far right will also cry foul and protest state sponsored military style security in state run schools and the tax increase that would pay for it.

In the end nothing meaningfull will be done at all and children and adults will continue to die in these types of attacks.

- Shawn
"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline dcjulie

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 12:26:13 PM »
As the spouse of a teacher, I'd love it if my husband could carry while on the job.  However, I don't like the idea of him being responsible for the sheeple who won't carry and take responsibility for themselves.  I just want him to be able to protect himself if some nut-job decided to open fire in his part of the building.

Offline instag8tr

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 12:41:28 PM »
]No tinfoil but:

CBS news Update at 1325 hrs:

Carney (white house spokesman) stated that The president may be making some hard decisions in the coming days about our 2nd Amendment right, and that some Americans may not support his decision.[

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 12:46:17 PM »
We have to at least give them the option!  I have read of the Terror at Beslan and preach the lessons we SHOULD have learned from it.  But we, as a society, continue to live in denial.
Maybe this hits home a little harder because a few years back my kids' mom wanted to move to Connecticut where here new husband is from, only a little ways from this school. What if...  What if they would have moved to a little outlying community, like Newton... What if....????????
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 01:53:34 PM »
While I am in no way against allowing armed citizens in schools, that wont stop these kinds of attacks. There simply aren't enough motivated people willing to arm and train. Teachers on this forum have stated that, even if armed, it wouldn't be their responsibility to move to the gunfire and stop the shooter.

The answer is simple (read Terror at Beslan and look at the Israeli security model). Every school should have, along with metal detectors and limited ingress and egress, a dedicated, armed security team. A team whose job is to move to the sound of gunfire and stop an active shooter.

But of course the anti gun far left will protest. The nut job far right will also cry foul and protest state sponsored military style security in state run schools and the tax increase that would pay for it.

In the end nothing meaningfull will be done at all and children and adults will continue to die in these types of attacks.

- Shawn
I bet that the cost of something like this would make it impossible to employ.

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 02:05:41 PM »
"The shooter is dead, a source with knowledge of the investigation, tells CNN’s Susan Candiotti.

Police have recovered two weapons from him, the source added.

It's not known whether police killed the alleged shooter or he took his own life. The source says one weapon recovered is a Glock and the other is a Sig Sauer."

AP Newsreel @ 11:34am

"A few more details from the White House press briefing earlier. White House spokesman Jay Carney said while today is not the day to debate gun policy, an assault weapons ban 'does remain a commitment' of President Obama."

AP Newsreel @ 1:47pm

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 02:10:20 PM »
"A law enforcement official in Washington said that one of the guns was a .223-caliber rifle. The official also said that New Jersey State Police were searching a location in that state in connection with the shootings."

Offline Phantom

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 02:30:39 PM »
And the School was Supposed to be a Secure location ....Locked doors and such
Still he was allowed to enter the location.

So locked doors and set security procedures in place are not the answer if they aren't followed or don't work.
Just as Removing guns from law abiding citzens isn't the answer either.

Arming everyone might be a answer. 

The .223-caliber rifle if actually is one
was in the shooters car outside the school It shouldn't even be part of this ....it could have been locked in his home or still at the gun store for all it matters.

Later maybe it will have a bearing but for now it's just the Media feeding frenzy.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 02:33:51 PM by Phantom »
"If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians would come out of the...the gene pool, they'd a stayed up in the trees and written evolution off as a bad idea.....Hell, I always thought the opposable thumb was overrated.  "-- Sheridan, "Babylon 5"

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2012, 02:42:30 PM »
As the spouse of a teacher, I'd love it if my husband could carry while on the job.  However, I don't like the idea of him being responsible for the sheeple who won't carry and take responsibility for themselves.  I just want him to be able to protect himself if some nut-job decided to open fire in his part of the building.

I bet that the cost of something like this would make it impossible to employ.

My points exactly.

Arming teachers alone wont stop these types of attacks. Teachers aren't an active shooter response team. Even if we allowed teachers to be armed starting tomorrow, the odds of an active shooter running into one would be as good as winning the lottery.

And its "too expensive". How do you know? What do you base that statement on? What is the actual cost of hiring a full time 2-4 man active shooter response team? What would be the average tax increase per household to fund it? Will it be expensive? Yep, but I bet the money could be found if we, as a society, believed that it was important enough.

This just makes me so g-damn angry. We are one of the richest nations on earth and today we had a classroom full of children shot to death because we are too f`ing cheap and too much in denial to fund a proper security detail.

- Shawn

"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2012, 02:50:20 PM »
Connecticut has some of the most restrictive guns laws in the nation - how can it not be clear to the libertards that gun laws just dont work?

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2012, 02:54:50 PM »
In other words, the "news" services are being as accurate as they normally are, i.e. they aren't at all.

No matter what:

1) This is a terrible thing
2) It will stimulate a HUGE emotional (read:  non-thinking) response in a lot of people
3) It will certainly garner a huge anti-gun backlast

...and with those put together, my STRONG suggestion to folks is to stay calm when arguing with people who are about to start shouting for gun control.  When people get emotional, they stop thinking, and when that happens, not only do they say stupid things that they don't mean (or even that they do mean) it also means that if someone responds to them with similar anger (whether justified or not) it will simply make them MORE likely to dig in and keep not-thinking.

Yes, we are going to have a fight on our hands because of this.  We all know it.  Make sure you fight smart.  Not angry.  Even at idiots who will take this as an excuse to wave the bloody flag to try to stop the rest of us from being able to defend ourselves and the people we love.

With regard to what Shawn said:

That wasn't quite what was said, nor was it the context in which it was said.

For example:  I'm a school teacher.  I wish I could carry in school.  And if the state would pay to send me to an active shooter response class, I'd go in a heartbeat and take on that responsibility.  I know several others who would.  Many?  No---because these people are teachers, not necessarily fighters.  But some would go.

For people who haven't had that training, we'd probably be told that we shouldn't respond in that fashion---which doesn't change the fact that it would certainly be true that there would suddenly be areas of the school in which it was much more likely that students would survive.

Saying "there aren't enough motivated people" is nonsense, in my opinion.  After all, there generally aren't enough people who will run towards gunfire in ANY given situation. 

And again, if nothing else, we would certainly note that in my room, at least, students would have a better chance.

As I said way back, when we discussed guns in schools in the first place:
"Let's see:  active shooter in the school.  Choice is a 1) armed teacher with extra training, 2) an armed teacher with basic training, or 3) unarmed victims.  Of course we'd pick #1, given that choice---but why in the world do people seem to think that #2 isn't any better than #3?"

I don't see any chance of this happening.  Let's see---how many police departments (in small towns) have to share their SWAT teams?  (How many don't even have SWAT teams?)  And you want a team in each school?  My district has four schools (larger districts have many more).  You want a team in each building?  How about LPS---how many buildings is that?

Never going to happen.

And if you are saying "one per district" then you aren't talking any better of a response time than local police.  (Probably worse, unless you were planning on making the security team sit in the ready room all day.)

Let's be blunt:  by their very nature, schools are open, soft targets. Unless you completely change the nature of the school far above what has already been mentioned (adding metal detectors which some schools already have and which the students have already figured out how to get stuff past; limited ingress and egress which many schools already do except kids don't do security well so people get in and out all the time, and armed guards in the hallways which is a little cost-prohibitive for most schools, though using local police as a "school resource officer" seems to work well for many places to at least get someone in the school part-time) it is going to stay that way.

Just as malls are wide-open, soft targets---so are schools.  That isn't going to change.  They can both be tightened up a bit, but I'd be interested to hear any comments from people on actual economically-feasible things that would have a real (not imagined emotional) effect.

Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2012, 03:15:23 PM »
While this is a very sad and heartbreaking situation, many millions of school-children did not die today.

More children die in school bus accidents each year than from shootings at schools.  How will more gun control laws help them?
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

nightraider717

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2012, 03:15:34 PM »
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 12:44:07 AM by nightraider717 »

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2012, 03:34:47 PM »
I guess we can go on discussing arming teachers, even though we all know this will never happen and there will never be enough willing participants to have a real effect on school shootings. Talk about denial and an imagined emotional effect....

Properly trained and armed school security personell...I get it...nobody wants to pay for it. I already know this. Nobody wants to see an increase in their taxes and schools will fight any attempt to cut their budgets. That is why nothing meaningful is going to come of this tragedy. Tomorrow will be business as usual.

- Shawn

www.88tactical.com