< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Top Ten Reasons Why You Should Shoot Competitions...  (Read 1212 times)

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
Top Ten Reasons Why You Should Shoot Competitions...
« on: January 05, 2013, 12:45:23 PM »
We don't have any IDPA clubs around here yet (c'mon, Big Shots!), but these reasons hold true for USPSA also...

http://www.handgunsmag.com/2010/09/24/tactics_training_idpa_092905/

• Improve your gun-handling skills
  • Practice safety
  • Equipment reality check
  • Interesting assortment of targets to engage
  • You will be better prepared if you decide to attend a firearms training class
  • Learn about time
  • Develop speed-shooting skills
  • Interesting courses of fire
  • The opportunity to rub shoulders with the best of the best
  • Friendship and fun!

...read the article for the full explanation.  :)

A significant additional comment:
One of the more pervasive knocks on IDPA is that it is only a sport and its rules are inconsistent with pure tactical pistol training. Those who espouse this opinion dismiss IDPA as a game that could lead participants down the road to bad defensive habits.

Mike Dalton, a police officer and IDPA Master, had this to say on the matter: “To suggest that one is better off not competing because it will ruin their self-defense skills is ridiculous. If you can’t shoot fast and accurately under pressure, you are not likely to do well in a real-life gunfight. Sometimes individuals who failed to achieve their desired goals choose to blame the contest rather than their ability. Next time you hear or read something from one of these critics, consider what the individual has accomplished in shooting competition. The answer will likely be little or nothing.”
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: Top Ten Reasons Why You Should Shoot Competitions...
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 11:36:53 PM »
IDPA league starts tomorrow (Tuesday, Jan 8th) at Big Shots here in Lincoln.  Orientation at 6:30, fun begins at 7:00 IIRC.  I'm planning on being there.  $10 a night to shoot.  Here is the email we got:

The BigShots IDPA League will be have it's first shooting competition on Tues Jan. 8th. Anyone interested in shooting this night will need to arrive for orientation at 6:30PM. We will do a half hour orientation on the rules and shooting will begin promptly at 7:00PM. The BigShots IDPA League is the only IDPA club in Nebraska. From here on out we will be shooting every Tuesday night at 7:00PM.

This league will be a Provisional IDPA League until further notice. We are working with IDPA to aquire sanctioned status. Until such time we will continue to operate the league according to IDPA rules and standards. The goal of the BigShots IDPA League is to promote handgun safety and improve handgun skills. We do this by providing a professional environment for like-minded individuals to shoot in a safe and competitive environment. Our plan is to ensure shooters are familiar with competition shooting and IDPA rules, hold an IDPA qualifier match soon and sponsor the IDPA Nebraska State Championship match by the end of the year.

If you are a new shooter or are unfamiliar with pistol competitions, this is a great place to start and we will work with you to improve your skill set. But depending on how long this takes, we may need to divide up into sub-groups on the range and keep like-skilled shooters together and so on. But we just have to see who and how many people are going to show up. So when you arrive, be patient and bring with you an open mind and humble attitude. No matter what it's going to be fun and a worth while way to spend your time.

You do not have to shoot every week. You can shoot as many or as few Tuesdays as you would like.
Each night it will cost a flat fee of $10 per person to shoot the match.
You do not have to be a BigShots member to shoot, but if you are a member, it is only $5 to shoot the match.
We recommend everyone be an IDPA member before shooting.

It is perfectly acceptable to come and watch a match on your first time before you shoot. In fact, if you are new to pistol competitions we recommend that you watch a match one week and shoot the following week. If you do plan on shooting this coming Tuesday, you need to have all of your handgun shooting gear, safety equipment as well as a concealed garment. Each match will require anywhere from 10-30 rounds, to include 1-2 reloads and engaging multiple targets at differnt stations. So movement is required. A concealed garment is also required, we recommend an open jacket, vest or shirt. You have to begin the match with the gun covered by the garment. IDPA focuses on practical tools and equipement so NO COMPETITION ONLY guns or equipement. Your guns, accessories and clothing must be something that you could reasonably wear out in public. The focus of IDPA competitions is to focus on the skill of the shooter, not the gun, equipment, or gamesmanship. There are plenty of other leagues and clubs where race guns and competitions only guns are allowed.

Websites that will answer all other questions:
http://www.idpa.com/
http://www.bigshotsrange.com/

Due to the volume of interest, this email address will have limited capability to reply to all emails in a prompt timeframe. I will do my best to answer questions and keep everyone informed, however the best way to stay informed on the BigShots IDPA League is to either show up on Tuesday nights to shoot, check the BigShots website or call Jim at the range.

Thank you for your interest in BigShots IDPA and thank you for investing in your personal safety.

Take care and stay safe, I'll see you all on Tuesday.

Cody Blocker
Match Director
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 12:23:33 PM »
The BigShots IDPA League will be have it's first shooting competition on Tues Jan. 8th.
[snip]
Each match will require anywhere from 10-30 rounds, to include 1-2 reloads and engaging multiple targets at differnt stations. So movement is required. A concealed garment is also required, we recommend an open jacket, vest or shirt. You have to begin the match with the gun covered by the garment.

10-30 rounds---so one or two stages?  Anyone know how many stages they are planning on?

[sigh]  I teach classes on most Tuesdays and Thursdays.  I hope this works out and lots of people come and shoot it, because it'll be February before I think I'll be able to come down for a match.
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline HuskerXDM

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 10:26:07 PM »
Tonight was just one stage, 12 rounds.  There were a lot of people there, so we spend about 30 minutes on rules and questions, then got to the fun stuff.  It's not a sanctioned league yet, but they are working on it.  Everything was kept very simple for the first night.  All-in-all, a good excuse to get out of the house. :)

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 10:57:34 PM »
I couldn't make it tonight.  The wife suggested it might be nice for me to eat dinner with the family.  SHEESH! Can you believe that?!  I mean, what about ME? What about MY needs?   ;D

Oh well...I plan to be at the USPSA match tomorrow.  I spoke to the owner and suggested that they get on the NFOA forum and let people know about these matches.

HuskerXDM...I've never shot an IDPA match.  I know about the cover garment requirements, but what did they say about other equipment?  Specifically the gun and holster? I have a XDM 5.25 Competition model and the holster it came with that I shoot USPSA with, but I'm not sure if that would be frowned on in IDPA.

Thanks,
Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline HuskerXDM

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 11:42:44 PM »
From what we were told tonight, you should wear and shoot what you would normally carry.  Probably the only change I'll make is that I'll go ahead and wear a magazine holster so I don't have to reach into my pocket for the mag changes.  'Race' guns and rigs aren't allowed.  I shot my XDm 4.5' 9mm out of a Blackhawk Sportster holster.  Next week I'll just wear my Crossbreed holster though.  I didn't really know what to expect tonight so I went generic.

Offline HuskerXDM

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 12:31:04 AM »
Here is the email we got after shooting tonight at Big Shots...

Thank you for coming out tonight and shooting. We had a total of 26 shooters and a bunch of spectators. We were able to get through the 26 shooters in approximately 1 hr and 15 min. Thank you for your patience with us on the first night. The bottom line is we had a good time shooting and no one got hurt. But we have a long way to go in order to get our safety and skills where they need to be. Jim, the BigShots staff and my team spent a lot of time debriefing the match afterwards. We had multiple eyes watching everyone at all times and we have a lot of good ideas for next time. We also saw a lot of areas that need improvement. A couple of changes you will see next week:

1. Shooting will begin at 7:30PM. (Not 7 as we previously thought).
2. We will pay at the begining when we arrive. Once you pay you will receive your score sheet. Once you get your score sheet, immediately put your name on it and keep track of it. Please pay with cash.
3. There will be a sign in sheet. Order of shooting will be first come first serve. Once you pay and receive your score sheet, sign in on the list that will be at the counter. At 7:30 we will remove the list and begin shooting.
4. We will be firing more rounds. We are designing a 27 round course of fire (this will require 9 rounds per mag and 2 reloads).
5. We will be firing in front of the bench line.
6. You will be required to have at least three magazines/reloads for your firearm.
7. You will be required to have a mag pouch to carry your two extra mags on your support side.
8. You will be required to have a holster that allows you a strong side directional draw. (No cross draws, no small of the back etc). Strong side means the holster must be placed on your belt so that it is either on your hip or right behind the hip with the muzzel behind the pant seam as I demonstrated in orientation.
9. You will be required to wear an OPEN cover garment. This can be an open jacket, vest or shirt. No untucked shirts or sweatshirts. The cover garment must be able to open from the front and cover all equipment when your arms are straight out at your sides as I demonstrated in orientation.

If you do not have these requirements met, unforunatley you will not be able to shoot. Since we have such a high number of people interested, we all must adhere to these requirements in order to keep shooting. These requirements may change in the future but for now, this is what we need to adhere to. We are a Provisional IDPA club and until we are sanctioned we will be using these modified requirments. These requirements keep everyone safe.

Next week at 6:30, I will be holding a free training session for IDPA type fundamentals for anyone who wants help learning the basics. I will be going over drawing, re-holstering, reloading, grip and stance. I can also work with you on placement of your holster, belts, mag pouches and cover garments so that you are squared away when it is time to shoot. So if you would like more help on what to wear, how to wear it and how to use your gear, arrive at 6:30 and I will be glad to help. I STRONGLY encourage new shooters to attend this.

In the mean time, practice drawing and re-holstering at home. We saw a lot of people who struggeled with the draw and the re-holster. During the draw and re-holstering process is when the majority of people shoot themsevles. You must become familiar with your gun, your holster and your cover garment in order to be safe. Think about which holster you are going to want to use. Many of the nylon and soft leather holsters collapse once you draw, and it becomes very difficult to re-holster. If you have one of these holsters, I advise looking at a hard plastic or kydex type of holster that is much easier to learn on.

Let me know if you have any questions. Again, great job tonight. I enjoyed meeting each one of you and look forward to seeing you next Tuesday.

Take care and stay safe,

xxxxxxx
Match Director

Offline R35P3CT

• NFOA Full Member
  • De go BOOM
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 02:20:03 AM »
too bad the comps have to be during my working hours in the weeks. guess i will just have to start traveling to engc for to compete.