< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: RSO Cert  (Read 1372 times)

Offline citizen

• NFOA Full Member
RSO Cert
« on: January 10, 2013, 09:52:12 PM »
I know Terry isn't having any classes anytime soon. I am needing some guys to get NRA RSO cert. Anybody know of any other instructors in the Lincoln/Omaha area who teach this?

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: RSO Cert
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 10:13:55 PM »
If you find someone, post up... I have a buddy who is interested
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 10:22:33 PM »
As a quick comment, anyone who is already an NRA firearms instructor can get the RSO cert via correspondence course...

If you don't mind my asking, why do you need NRA-certified RSOs?
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 11:10:18 PM »
As a quick comment, anyone who is already an NRA firearms instructor can get the RSO cert via correspondence course...

If you don't mind my asking, why do you need NRA-certified RSOs?

What he said- just finished mine...
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline citizen

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 09:46:14 PM »
I'm needing RSOs for the Lincoln IDPA League that is starting up.

I will look into the correspondence option. Thank you for the help.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 05:47:51 AM »
I'm needing RSOs for the Lincoln IDPA League that is starting up.

I will look into the correspondence option. Thank you for the help.

Um, just so you know, when they say "SO" in IDPA, they aren't talking about NRA RSOs---they are talking about IDPA Safety Officers, which is something completely different.

(This is similar to "ROs" in USPSA---they don't mean standard Range Officers, they are talking about USPSA-certified Range Officers.)

IDPA Rules, page 53-54 goes into it.  (And page 57, point number 2 for club affiliation.)

While the NRA RSO training (and certification) is a useful thing, it really won't help anyone run a competition shooter.  Among other things, competitions ROs and SOs enforce the safety (and procedural) rules of their particular sport, and the NRA RSO course doesn't teach any of that. 

The NRA RSO course is more about being the general safety officer for an open range, with general shooters on a firing line. (More focused on rifle shooting, too.)  Just not very similar. 

You may already know this, but in case you don't----at IDPA and USPSA matches, having a NRA RSO certification doesn't mean anything with respect to SO and RO certification.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 07:26:25 PM »
You may already know this, but in case you don't----at IDPA and USPSA matches, having a NRA RSO certification doesn't mean anything with respect to SO and RO certification.

I'm an NRA certified RSO, and I would probably curl up into a fetal position and cry if I had to RO a USPSA match  ;D

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 08:51:17 PM »
I'm an NRA certified RSO, and I would probably curl up into a fetal position and cry if I had to RO a USPSA match  ;D

Multigun is SO much worse to RO!

Offline citizen

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 08:34:01 AM »
Yes, thank you. We're actually only an IDPA Provisional Club and will be a Sanctioned Club after IDPA publishes their new rule book later in the year. So we'll pursue the IDPA SO at that time. The NRA Cert is a valid cert to have, especially when it comes to safety.

Thanks for the input though.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 10:12:59 PM »
I'm an NRA Chief RSO, have held NRA RSO courses in the past, and would be willing to do so for a committed group of shooters to wish to become NRA RSOs.   It's a 9 hour program, usually taking two evenings or a full Saturday.    Cost most places is generally around $50-$100, depending on who and where.   Course materials alone cost $20+ to give you an idea of the low margin.

As was pointed out above, if you are already an NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, you can apply for and complete a home self-study program to become an NRA RSO.   Many qualified pistol instructors use that venue.

If you wish to use the NRA RSO credential for IPSC/IDPA and/or similar matches, it won't work.   As also pointed out above.   You have to know the IPSC/IDPA rules to a fair degree of mastery.   NRA RSO course doesn't teach to that particular objective.

So there you are.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer