< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: NRA instructors  (Read 1599 times)

Offline gigabelly

• Steel Benefactor
  • KD0RTI
NRA instructors
« on: January 13, 2013, 07:49:40 PM »
I have been a member of the NRA for several years.  I have never taken any of their classes but considered it more of a annual donation.  Now I would like to take some courses for several reasons,  but it seems that there is really only one instructor in the area who is offering the courses I am interested in.  He has been nice to deal with but is coming off of a medical procedure.  Since he seems to be the only one in the Lincoln area, I have began to wonder if I should just start taking every NRA course I can in an attempt to help him out and increase class availability.  With everyone in the country buying guns, we will probably see an influx of people needing some education.  Since I don't really know all the players in this area, having only moved here about 5 years ago, I am posing this question to shooters in the area who are familiar with the local NRA community.    Do we have the need for another instructor in the area? Would it be a service that would be needed and well received?  I am in a position to commit the time and money needed to take the necessary courses, but if there was not a need for it or if it would step on someone's toes, I would just move on to the next hair-brained idea that pops in my head.  Any thoughts?
Government is not the solution to our problems, Government is our problem. -Ronald Reagan

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
Re: NRA instructors
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 08:42:33 PM »
I'm thinking it will help if you mentioned which type of courses you are interested in.  :)

(I'll note that there are actually quite a few NRA instructors around for various courses, though it is true that many are not in Lincoln---but it isn't as if Omaha/Bellevue is that far away.)
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 08:49:22 PM »
In addition to my carbine and rifle training, I also offer Basic and FIRST Steps Rifle and Pistol classes on a request basis. I've taught 3 of them in the past year. I know of a few other NRA Instructors in the Lincoln area, but none of them teach regularly.

http://www.mwts-training.com/official-nra-courses
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 08:52:52 PM by wallace11bravo »

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 09:07:14 PM »
Gigabelly:

What are your specific NRA courses of interest??

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline gigabelly

• Steel Benefactor
  • KD0RTI
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 07:30:19 AM »
First and foremost, RSO, metallic cartridge reloading, any of the defensive classes, etc...  I suppose, based on the responses, that there are more instructors in the area than I knew about.  Is there somewhere else that they are listed? NRA website doesn't have anything but the basic pistol and rifle orientation in the Lincoln area.  Now, I don't want to imply that I couldn't benefit from these courses, but I have been shooting since I was a kid and I am in my mid 40s, I was a small arms armorer in the military and have taken the armorer's course through Glock as well so I am thinking my time might be spent more effectively in a class that goes beyond the anatomy of a gun.  Maybe I am wrong and don't want to come across as too proud to take the beginners course.  I will if that is what needs to happen.  I want to get every credential I can.
Government is not the solution to our problems, Government is our problem. -Ronald Reagan

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 08:27:40 AM »
Gigabelly.............

If it's knowledge that you want, then most all NRA courses would be of marginal value to you.    This comment is based upon your own statement of your own firearms experience.   You most likely don't need for someone to explain the Three Safety Rules and point out handgun parts on a chart.

If it's credentials that you want, then you need to identify those specific credentials and enroll in classes which will provide them to you.   You'll have to endure some very basic, repetitive information, because that's what NRA classes typically provide.

If--for example--you want an NRA RSO credential, NRA provides a couple of paths thereto.   You can check those out on the NRA website.   You might be better of with an IDPA RO credential, which is listed elsewhere on the NFOA Forum [contact jthhapkido in that regard].

If you want an NRA RSO class and are willing to work to help build a critical mass of say, 5-10 attendees, then pm me on that issue.

If you want a metallic cartridge reloading class, I'm offering one tonight in Papillion that's already filled, but may offer more in the future, depending on interest.   You can likewise pm me if interested.

You also might want to check out those classes offered by Signal88, Chris Zeeb, Shawn Whittington, and jthhapkido.   They are more focused on good, solid knowledge than credentialing, but they are all worth the money and time.

Good luck otherwise in your quest.

sfg

Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 08:31:57 AM »
I think what Gigabelly is looking for is a NRA Training Counselor. Since there is only one in this area....... For someone to offer Instructor training classes is a challenge

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 08:40:56 AM »
You won't find a list of instructors published by the NRA.  They only publish the list of upcoming classes, and those need to be published by the instructor once they schedule a class.  Many NRA certified instructors only teach a small number of classes each year, often because of the difficulty in finding a range to use.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 08:55:57 AM »
If you are looking for entry level  courses, I just got certified in Shotgun and Rifle, (and will soon be Pistol) and will be offering up some classes probably closer to spring.    If you are looking to become a Instructor, you options are more limited. I got my training thru a venue not available to most.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline gigabelly

• Steel Benefactor
  • KD0RTI
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 11:21:48 AM »
Thank you all for helping me figure out what it is I am looking for.  Chris is correct that an NRA counselor is probably more of what I am looking for but I didn't realize that there was a way to get an IDPA RO cred.  I do want that for sure since we are starting an IDPA league and I am helping out with that. There are several of us trying to get that cred so I have a ready made class.  I will reach out to jthhapkido to see if he help us out.  I saw the post about the reloading class but since it is up in the Omaha area and I am in Lincoln, it is a little more difficult to sign up for those without some logistical support (aka childcare).

Getting back to the NRA side of things, it seems that there may be an influx of people needing some instructors since everyone and their dog is buying guns. I thought it would be cool if I could get involved to help out with classes. At the same time, by giving credibility to some other endeavors I participate in, like the IDPA league for example.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 11:46:16 AM »
Thank you all for helping me figure out what it is I am looking for.  Chris is correct that an NRA counselor is probably more of what I am looking for but I didn't realize that there was a way to get an IDPA RO cred.  I do want that for sure since we are starting an IDPA league and I am helping out with that. There are several of us trying to get that cred so I have a ready made class.  I will reach out to jthhapkido to see if he help us out.  I saw the post about the reloading class but since it is up in the Omaha area and I am in Lincoln, it is a little more difficult to sign up for those without some logistical support (aka childcare).

Getting back to the NRA side of things, it seems that there may be an influx of people needing some instructors since everyone and their dog is buying guns. I thought it would be cool if I could get involved to help out with classes. At the same time, by giving credibility to some other endeavors I participate in, like the IDPA league for example.

IDPA SO certification (and USPSA RO certification) is done by official IDPA (and USPSA) RO/SO instructors, not the NRA.  :)  Each organization has its own instructor corps.

Unforatunately, according to the IDPA website, there aren't any IDPA SO instructors in Nebraska or Iowa.  There seem to be several in Kansas, however, and a couple in Missouri.

You can get their contact information from:  http://www.idpa.com/somap.asp

There ARE a number of current USPSA ROs and CROs around (not instructors----though we ARE having an RO class coming up in March!), for those folks needing help getting the USPSA club started at BigShots.  IDPA, though---there just hasn't been an official club before, and so most people aren't SOs, and we have no instructors. 

I'm thinking that if you get a number of people together, one of the IDPA SO Instructors from Kansas would come up to give a class.

Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline gigabelly

• Steel Benefactor
  • KD0RTI
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 05:53:25 PM »
I just got off the phone with IDPA.  I learned two things, at least.  First, they  are about to change so much stuff with the SO requirements that it is better not to even try to get SO certified at this point.  When they launch the new website (hopefully in a month) they will make the changes more apparent.  The rule book is about to change too.
Secondly, she told me that the Big Shots IDPA league is on the website, which means that it is "official." Congrats!