< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Just a note about progressive bins  (Read 799 times)

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
Just a note about progressive bins
« on: January 26, 2013, 07:02:54 PM »
Several progressives have bins that kinda latch on to the side of the press or similar that it kicks completed rounds out of and into.

Hardware stores prolly have similar bins.  Picked up a 69 cent thing from Menards... seems to work just fine and latches on etc lovely.  Having a spare when making ALOT of ammo can be handy.  They have some bigger blue ones, but dunno if they'd work out.

The new one is obviously the clean one:

hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
Just couldn't leave well enough alone
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 06:56:23 PM »
Never willing to leave well enough alone, I grabbed one of the big blue ones. These are twice the size of the red ones.

It has a problem, the retaining lips are ... two.. and spread out.  Not entirley sure if it would grip tight enough to hold a few hundred rounds etc.

So, while I was at the hardware store with blue bin in hand, I went to over to the welding section and picked up some |_| shaped aluminum.

I already have a bunch of screws and washers and stuff other projects.

First thing to do was cut off the two existing lips on the back of the bin so I could mount the piece of aluminum.

Then it's just a matter of drilling some holes.

Now, I do happen to have a tap and die set, but aluminum is pretty soft and with some english, you could easily use the screw to thread the aluminum itself.

I ended up with:

Sliding it onto the bin holder thingie on the press showed a concern...

But... I happen to have some jumbo crafting sticks laying around from the copper plating supply / experimenting, and two of them are a PERFECT shim.  It's snug, nothing moves at all, etc.

Blue bin: $1.69 (the small ones are like $0.69 and require no effort to use).
Aluminum thing: $5 i think ? with plenty of metal left over for other uses

Ideas:  something along the inside of the |_| aluminum to act as a shim so don't have to use the craft sticks.  Do I care ? Not particularly...

I've not loaded ammo with the blue bin yet, there's some concern that the the lip of the ammo deflector, a dip to the aluminum piece, then the edge / lip of the blue bin might cause problems.  Easy enough to fix, but it's a possible issue.
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D