< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: 9mm Metallic Cartridge Reloading Clinic Monday, 11February2013 Papillion, NE  (Read 5054 times)

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
9mm Reloading Clinic

Day/Date:            Monday, 11February2013

Time:                    6:00pm to 9:30pm [more or less]

713 N. Frontier Road
                                       Papillion, NE

Cost:                    $20  [Incredibly Low Token Payment/Instructional Bargain of All Time]

#Attendees:         5 [maximum] First Come, First Signed Up  [Sign Up Following This Post]

Instructors:          Semperfiguy and Unfy

We have limited space for this activity.   Therefore, only sign up if you Absolutely Will Be There.   We don't want anyone to reserve a spot and then do the Infamous Last Minute Dropout Caper.   You sign up; you be there.   Even if the Wife and Girlfriend Both Go Into Labor That Evening.

Unfy's Soon-to-be-Famous Lee C-Shape Reloading Press Spent Primer Catcher Modification, Mark I will be unveiled that evening.

unfy
sfg
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 10:34:46 AM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline gigabelly

• Steel Benefactor
  • KD0RTI
I am in.  Anyone from Lincoln who wants to carpool, let me know.  No labor expected.  Ever again. 
Government is not the solution to our problems, Government is our problem. -Ronald Reagan

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
OK........We now have Gigabelly signed up
[Who I happen to know for a fact doesn't even shoot 9mm.   He just wants to work the handle on the Big Green Honker RCBS Supreme Reloading Press.]

1)     Gigabelly
2)
3)
4)
5)

Some small informational details will be provided after we have our group established.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline ckspeed

• Powder Benefactor
Sure, I'll stick the needle in, I'm good for another obsessive hobby..... :-[

Count me in.

BYOB or is it supplied?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 01:00:49 PM by ckspeed »

Offline gigabelly

• Steel Benefactor
  • KD0RTI
Looking forward to it.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 01:15:03 PM by gigabelly »
Government is not the solution to our problems, Government is our problem. -Ronald Reagan

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
What you need to bring:

* Safety glasses or sturdy prescription glasses
* 10-15 empty / fired 9mm cases
* note taking materials if you're the note taking type
* $20
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
Clinic is taking shape:

1)     Gigabelly
2)     ckspeed
3)
4)
5)

Unfy's Details:

* $20

ckspeed:
Yes....You do indeed Buy Your Own Beer.....and then take it home to enjoy.

unfy
sfg

Offline ckspeed

• Powder Benefactor

ckspeed:
Yes....You do indeed Buy Your Own Beer.....and then take it home to enjoy.

unfy
sfg

Bring Your Own BRASS.....geeez,  :o  HaHaHa

Offline gigabelly

• Steel Benefactor
  • KD0RTI
The brass doesn't need to be prepped, right.  We will be learning how to prep the brass there (cleaning etc..).

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
The brass doesn't need to be prepped, right.  We will be learning how to prep the brass there (cleaning etc..).

We won't actually clean it... you can reload ammo without cleaning brass, and given that we'll be using a very safe load it's not a concern.  In normal operation you would very want to clean it.

But it should be just as you picked it up off the range floor.  No mud cakes please :)
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
I'll bring my vibrating tumbler to show Gigabelly how it works.   [I don't have any brass to put in it, however.   It's all loaded up right now.]

And--[Gigabelly......May I call you Gig??]--we will discuss brass cleaning methods so that you can get some insights about this step in the reloading process.

sfg

Offline iamjlira

• NFOA Full Member
Hello
I would like to be apart of your class. I am just getting started reloading. I have all parts but projectiles. Please count me in

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
Clinic is taking shape in leaps and bounds:

1)     Gigabelly
2)     ckspeed
3)     iamjlira
4)
5)

iamjira:
   We will supply the paltry number of projectiles that you will need for this class.   And the primers.........and the Win231.     All you need to bring are the 10-15 pieces of 9mm spent brass.

Unfy's Details:
* $20

We move onward.............

sfg

Offline gigabelly

• Steel Benefactor
  • KD0RTI
Hey, is this an NRA course?  I want to get all the credentials I can muster.  Will we get NRA certificates or something?  Also, how can I get more certifications? Do you train individually on other stuff or do we need a class.  Specifically, I am trying to get RSO and a few others.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 06:10:38 PM by gigabelly »

Offline Markk

• NFOA Full Member
Do you think you would ever offer the class using 40 S&W? If not I would like to register for the class as I can get some empty cases from a friend. I am planning on purchasing reloading equipment in the near future and am sure I can learn something.

Offline gigabelly

• Steel Benefactor
  • KD0RTI
Markk, I only shoot 40. The concepts will be the same, but differences in dies and plates.  Go to the range and ask around for some 9mm brass.  I got mine at Ikes today. If you explain why  you  need only  a handful, people will give you the ones they were planning to reload themselves, just to help you get into it. Im not sure I got enough, but I think it will have to work. 

Offline iamjlira

• NFOA Full Member
I picked up a few handfuls of extra brass at the range yesterday. I can bring some extra if need be.

Offline gigabelly

• Steel Benefactor
  • KD0RTI
That would be great.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
There's no NRA cert that comes with the class or anything like that.

And for $20 ? Really ? heh, no.

This is a couple reloaders getting more shooters into reloading by getting others feet wet, providing fundamental information, and stressing safety.

As far as 40S&W, we keep it to 9mm due to being a popular round.  While I have no complaints with offering a 40s&w class (it'd be identical to 9mm)... we will not offer a single clinic with students reloading both types of ammo, just to avoid any mistakes (safety issues).  Also, the equipment that's already been bought for the clinic (so we don't have to tear apart our own reloading bench) was 9mm.

The only reason I chose to address the 40s&w question is that I understand that some people don't shot 9mm (i am one of them, none of my firearms are chambered for the round).... thus making some 9mm ammo is a bit moot for me :).

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
Gig:
NOT an NRA course.   I could teach one, but the NRA course will cost you $25 additional bucks for their reloading book, which you must have to get NRA certified, but which you don't really need to become a pistol cartridge reloader.     NRA's book is a rather nice little book, but it doesn't have reloading data like the hardcover reloading manuals.    Instead, spend that money on a real hardcover reloading book like Speer, Hornady, Lee.

No certificates.   Instead, you will receive far more than your money's worth in reloading process technology in this class.   Better than a certificate.

Let's discuss RSO:    Get yourself and five other guys, I'll run an NRA RSO course for you for a nominal fee.   An RSO credential does have some significant value for you. 

Markk:
Sure.   I'll run a .40S&W class.   Running a .40S&W course is about as easy as a 9mm.   Same process.   Different dies and components.    Actually, might be better for Gigabelly to drop out of the 9mm class, set up a .40S&W class that you and Gig could attend, plus other folks.   Think about it.   But I think the 9mm class will be entirely adequate to prep you for .40S&W.    Not a nickel's worth of difference, really.

sfg