< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Reply Gov. Heineman  (Read 1862 times)

A-FIXER

Reply Gov. Heineman
« on: February 05, 2013, 08:33:25 PM »
Thank you for your recent correspondence regarding proposed laws on firearms and ammunition.  I appreciate your willingness to write me and share your opinion on this subject.  It is obvious to me that many Nebraskans are passionate on issues surrounding the Second Amendment.  Please know that I support an individual’s right to bear arms as protected by the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

Regarding any federal legislation, it is important that you share your opinion with your elected officials on the federal level.  This includes your Congressman, United States Senators, and the President.  On the state level, be sure to share your opinion with your state senator.  Should state legislation reach my desk addressing this area of law, I will keep your comments in mind.  Thank you, again, for writing and sharing your comments with me.

Sincerely,

Dave Heineman

Governor

Office of the Governor

PO Box 94858

Lincoln, NE  68509-4848

402-471-2244 (Ph)

402-471-6031 (F)

www.Governor.Nebraska.gov

Offline Lmbass14

• Powder Benefactor
  • Red Horse - Semper Ducimus
Re: Reply Gov. Heineman
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 08:35:57 PM »
I got the same letter the other day.  What a no answer.  Well, at least he's not running for gov. office again.

Offline djansma

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 10:32:11 PM »
I also got the same letter a whole lot of nothing!!!!!

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 11:00:23 PM »
I got the same letter the other day.  What a no answer.  Well, at least he's not running for gov. office again.

What are you guys looking for that isn't there, if you don't mind me asking?

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 11:08:09 AM »
Why even bother sending a letter out if that's all he's going to say.  Does he think patriots who wrote to him didn't also write to the other people he mentioned?  All his letter did was define him as a political hack.

How difficult would it have been for him to say that he is a supporter of the right to keep and bear arms guaranteed in both the federal and state constitutions, and for that reason, no laws infringing on that right will be passed or enforced in this state as long as he's governor?

The Republican Party is a big disappointment.  Can the leadership not see the support they get from supporters of the 2nd Amendment?  If Romney had been more of a patriot on this issue (and others) maybe more conservatives would have taken the effort to get out and vote, and Obama might not be President now.

If our governor can't do any better than saying thanks for your opinion I'll think about it, I hope he isn't put on the ballot for senator sometime.
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline RedDot

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 12:32:37 PM »
Realistically, there isn't a whole lot he can do.  He's got a unicameral that has already shown itself willing to override a veto, which would seem to show a lack of solidarity behind his efforts.  Of the many gun legislation bills proposed, even if he spoke out in support, how many will actually make it past Chamber's Judiciary Committee?

As for influencing the federal legislation/decrees, how much good has his support done to get the Keystone Pipeline going?   Ask Jan Breuwer or Rick Perry  how much this admin. cares about what state governors think.

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 03:55:42 PM »
Realistically, there isn't a whole lot he can do.  He's got a unicameral that has already shown itself willing to override a veto, which would seem to show a lack of solidarity behind his efforts.  Of the many gun legislation bills proposed, even if he spoke out in support, how many will actually make it past Chamber's Judiciary Committee?

As for influencing the federal legislation/decrees, how much good has his support done to get the Keystone Pipeline going?   Ask Jan Breuwer or Rick Perry  how much this admin. cares about what state governors think.

He could still make a pledge to do everything in his power to defend the right.  That shouldn't be too much to ask, and no one is asking him to do more than that. 
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 04:10:25 PM »
How difficult would it have been for him to say that he is a supporter of the right to keep and bear arms guaranteed in both the federal and state constitutions, and for that reason, no laws infringing on that right will be passed or enforced in this state as long as he's governor?

I have received a number of politician's replys concerning the 2nd A. The majority indicate they support that Right, but truthfully few if any actually commit to anything. Politicians always want that option to swing as needed to fulfill their agendas.
It is important to flood these politicians with calls and mail to at very least make the appearance of who they can expect to take action and remembers who did what.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 06:25:36 PM »
I would think the important question would be ... what has Gov Heineman ever  done that is not pro 2A?   

He says he supports us and he has never done anything I am aware of that would prove that false.

Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 06:34:53 PM »
I
I would think the important question would be ... what has Gov Heineman ever  done that is not pro 2A?   He says he supports us and he has never done anything I am aware of that would prove that false.

I think in the current environment that a lot of people are looking for a defining answer. I see a lot of people (even NRA officers) that support 2A, but don't believe a firearm needs more than 3 rounds, or needs for magazine limits, background checks...etc. The President indicated he supported the 2A and "will not take away your guns".
Just because someone has never done anything, doesn't indicate what they will do. Even in writting or otherwise, it may never be a contract, but at least marks things for history.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2013, 06:46:39 PM »
I think that a prudent public official does not make definitive statements on legislation that is only a possibility, and a remote one at that, especially when they have no power over Congress.

One of my favorite quotes is:

"It is better to stand silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2013, 06:51:22 PM »
Just because someone has never done anything, doesn't indicate what they will do

No you misread my  post... the Governor has supported every thing the NFOA has ever tried to do as far as legislation goes. I have never had any qualms about where Dave Heineman stood on any bill the NFOA has supported. So when he says he supports the 2A, he backs it up
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2013, 07:08:08 PM »
No you misread my  post... the Governor has supported every thing the NFOA has ever tried to do as far as legislation goes. I have never had any qualms about where Dave Heineman stood on any bill the NFOA has supported. So when he says he supports the 2A, he backs it up

I catch your drift.

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2013, 07:11:29 PM »
"It is better to stand silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

I imagine Lincoln could have predicted the same for forum posts.

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2013, 11:39:28 PM »
My guess is most politicians want to send out a letter that can be sent to all of their constituents, rather than having a different letter for each group on the same issue.  I agree that that is a good idea, but I would still prefer to see a letter telling anti-gun bigots to go to hell, because a governor should be a leader, not a political hack.  Any patriot should see anti-gun bigots as the vile trash they are, and relate to them as such.  But a politician, well, he has more important things to consider.

But as the Bible tells us, by their fruits ye shall know them.  So if this governor has supported the patriot cause on gun control he has my respect, even though I disagree with him on method.