< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: 80% AR-15 Lower Receiver  (Read 14523 times)

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: 80% AR-15 Lower Receiver
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2013, 02:34:05 PM »
if and when you do a group buy, let me know.  i'll make up my mind at that time.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline MattW

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2013, 02:38:30 AM »
Hi Guys! Sorry I haven't been on in awhile. Glad to see there is interest in this! College and job has been pretty crazy for me lately but I have plans to do something like this, this summer. There is some CNC conversion kits for mills that can significantly reduce the cost of this project that I will be looking into. Chances are though I will be doing it by hand with the drill press which isn't honestly that bad just takes more time. Ill try to update when I figure out more. It may be sometime in May after classes are over before you hear from me next though  :laugh:

Offline 50cal

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2013, 01:26:36 PM »
I would be interested in a group buy. Why is the CNC being treated as such a Holy Grail, the small amount of work lelt on a 80% receiver could be done easily on a conventional mill.

Offline gigabelly

• Steel Benefactor
  • KD0RTI
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2013, 02:25:09 PM »
I am in.
Government is not the solution to our problems, Government is our problem. -Ronald Reagan

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2013, 04:05:05 PM »
IMO CNC only makes sense if you want to crank out a lot of work.  For one off and limited production manual machine tools should be faster since you don't have to program it.

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2013, 06:52:36 PM »
I was going to do the 80% route...the the "paper weight".....like everything else firearm lately, no stock most out a year or more (one place was at four years). Then there is the basic shortage of parts to finish things out (not horrible, but still subject to speculator prices and availability). Then the problem with ammo.

Found a 3-D model that can be used to CAM to CNC from billet, but then there is the fixturing to build.

Would be OK for a keep-it-to-yourself build, but have seen plenty of issues with government attention when you try to share. 

Offline flygunner

• Post approval required
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2013, 10:03:19 PM »
I had a friend buy a few 80%ers from ares around thanksgiving and he just got them about 2 weeks ago.  There were a few people at my work that bought them from there and they all had the same problem. Most of them canceled there orders and found them elsewhere.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2013, 01:16:36 PM »
i keep seeing 80% lowers on rockethub.com.  i want to jump in but afraid of the risks and being scammed.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Opusnbill7

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2013, 04:56:26 PM »
I'd be interested, too.

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2013, 06:14:13 PM »
http://aresarmor.com/store/Item/billet-ar15-80percent

I did order and GET an 80% billet receiver from ARE about 10 days ago. Their site shows inventory and claims if it shows inventory..it ships.  Took a chance and it took only a few days for the receiver to show up. The machine work appears to be very good quality. The price is a little excessive. 
I saw over a dozen receivers in a case at the recent Sioux City gun show. There was something wrong with each of the receivers as far as machine issues...so, the $125 price tag was not worth the problems (errors in pivot/takedown holes. Incorrectly machined bolt release...etc.

Unless you have a milling machine (or access) finishing an 80% will require a drill press and a receiver specific drilling fixture (maybe another $125+). Almost $300 before a usable receiver plus labor is very expensive. It appears some of the parts places are starting to get a few things here and there.

Doing the finish work with a drill press would get the job done...put not particularly pretty and there will be a bit of a learning curve. I have done enough real machine work to understand some skill and experience would help with the drill press route.

Guess what I am saying is...weight your options and know your limitations. I am looking forward to doing my machine work, but I have a few years of experience and my own milling machines. Check out the videos on youtube and ignore the CNC vids unless you have a CNC machine.

Offline on the fritz

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2013, 10:21:20 AM »
http://aresarmor.com/store/Item/billet-ar15-80percent

I did order and GET an 80% billet receiver from ARE about 10 days ago. Their site shows inventory and claims if it shows inventory..it ships.  Took a chance and it took only a few days for the receiver to show up. The machine work appears to be very good quality. The price is a little excessive. 
I saw over a dozen receivers in a case at the recent Sioux City gun show. There was something wrong with each of the receivers as far as machine issues...so, the $125 price tag was not worth the problems (errors in pivot/takedown holes. Incorrectly machined bolt release...etc.

Unless you have a milling machine (or access) finishing an 80% will require a drill press and a receiver specific drilling fixture (maybe another $125+). Almost $300 before a usable receiver plus labor is very expensive. It appears some of the parts places are starting to get a few things here and there.

Doing the finish work with a drill press would get the job done...put not particularly pretty and there will be a bit of a learning curve. I have done enough real machine work to understand some skill and experience would help with the drill press route.

Guess what I am saying is...weight your options and know your limitations. I am looking forward to doing my machine work, but I have a few years of experience and my own milling machines. Check out the videos on youtube and ignore the CNC vids unless you have a CNC machine.

This is why we are/were hoping that someone like you would step up and let some of us guys interested in this use your mill/s.  :D

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2013, 03:12:34 PM »
This is why we are/were hoping that someone like you would step up and let some of us guys interested in this use your mill/s.

Well...I am located near So. Sioux City (NE corner of NE).  I don't mind sharing some machine time if someone is in need. Although I have a lot of machine experience...this is my first AR. I have collected a bit of data but am no expert on AR work.
I have a receiver that needs the FCG pockets machined, trigger pin, hammer pin and safety holes drilled.
First step will be making a mill/drill jig to hold the receiver. My receiver is a machined billet version and is a little different from the typical forging. Need to at least make the jig fit my receiver and possibly figure it out to work with forgings.  My CNC mill is an older unit and does not have a tool changer (requires manual tool changes). Will need to program the machine operations. Ultimately want to cut an entire receiver (for no other reason than....cuz I can).
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 03:20:31 PM by SS_N_NE »

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2013, 03:25:25 PM »
Pic of ARE 80% receiver. PSA LPK (lower parts kit). Magpul CTR stock. Buffer tube ordered.  Still don't know what the upper will look like (most likely M4 style), barrel size/type...etc, etc.

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2013, 07:11:26 PM »
I'm interested in a 80% or two for the right price (~$50 shipped seems fair).

Not really something I need at the moment, but would be nice to have a couple around. There are plastic ones for sale too: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2013/06/05/80-ar-15-polymer-lowers-polymer80/  $70 is more than I'm willing to pay for a polymer 80%, but a cool idea.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline MattW

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2013, 02:45:36 PM »
Im thinking about ordering soon from http://www.advancedrifles.com/

Offline on the fritz

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2013, 09:29:59 AM »
I'm necromancing this thread to see if any more progress has come of this.  I have found 2 places that have polymer 80% lowers that would theoretically be easier to machine.  Just curious if anybody is still interested.

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2013, 12:32:48 PM »
I've tabled this idea for the time being. We can get blem lowers including parts kit for $110.

Offline blopp220

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2013, 01:10:17 AM »
Hello, My name is Brenden and I am new to the forum and this will actually be my first post. I have also been looking into the 80% receivers however I am thinking of building a .308 in the DPMS platform.

i keep seeing 80% lowers on rockethub.com.  i want to jump in but afraid of the risks and being scammed.

I am in the same boat as you prices on rockethub especially for 308 stuff is unbeatable I've been following these guys for awhile http://www.rockethub.com/profiles/118904-northwest-precision and they have already shipped to their first customer and seem to be legit but I am still skeptical.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2013, 07:24:11 PM »
I decided to take a chance and funded this one:

http://www.rockethub.com/projects/29659-ar-15-80-lower

If it falls through I'll be PO'd but it's not the end of the world.

Offline blopp220

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2013, 09:44:59 PM »
Well i went ahead and ordered one from Northwest Custom precision on rockethub now only time will tell!!