< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: 80% AR-15 Lower Receiver  (Read 14525 times)

Offline MattW

• Forum Member
80% AR-15 Lower Receiver
« on: February 14, 2013, 01:34:47 AM »
Well I did not find out until recently that is completely legal to manufacture your own firearms for personal use as long as you do not sale or transfer these weapons to another person (and obviously as long as you do not make banned weapons, for example fully automatic weapons).

I have been doing more research on this and have found that you can buy 80% AR-15 Lower Receivers (paperweights) because these are not considered firearms until you cut out the rest of the receiver. The rest of the milling can be done with a drill press, the right bits, and some patience. You also can order (and will most likely need to) order a jig to make the process easier. Me and my friend are looking at each doing one or two of these this summer.

Have any of you done this before, or know somebody that has?

Here is site where you can buy one of these 80% lower receivers:
http://aresarmor.com/store/Item/TACMHL15

Here is a guide I will likely use to complete mine:
http://www.cncguns.com/projects/ar15lower80tutorial-2.html

The 80% receiver usually costs around $80, the jig can range anywhere between $100-200 depending on how good it is.

I know many people would say why do this when you can just buy an already made lower receiver for less money?

Well honestly it is a pretty good feeling knowing that you put some hard work into building your gun and also the satisfaction of owning a completely unregistered, unserialized, etc... gun that the government is completely clueless to its existence, and it is all 100% legal to do.

Offline msspatz

• Lead Benefactor
Re: 80% AR-15 Lower Receiver
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 02:38:50 AM »
I wish my husband had all of his machine shop stuff (cnc machine, lathes and such).  It would be so easy for him to do ar-15 lowers and possibly the uppers as well.  If the government had their way like they'd like that would probably be the only way to even have your own guns is to make them yourself.  I'm sure there are blueprints on the net and elsewhere you could actually make your own or even make a blueprint from a gun that's already in service.  Great idea with making your own.
ZERO PLANNING ON YOUR PART CONSTITUTES AN EMERGENCY ON MY PART

Offline jonm

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 05:16:13 AM »
Don't forget to include the cost of coating the receiver when thinking about overall cost.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 06:42:15 AM »
I've always wanted to do this, but I don't have a mill.  I would think using a drill press would give you some pretty rough results compared to a real mill.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 08:47:35 AM »
I recently talked to a guy that had access to a CNC machine etc. that had bought just a billet of the correct aluminium and he compel made his own, using a friends lower as a pattern.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 09:08:31 AM »
Home anodizing is actually not hard to do, from what I have read. 

I need to buy a blank forging just so I have an excuse to buy a mill. 

Offline MattW

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 09:37:15 AM »

I've always wanted to do this, but I don't have a mill.  I would think using a drill press would give you some pretty rough results compared to a real mill.

Here are the results the guy got using just a drill press and some finishing touches with a dremel

Offline MattW

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 09:40:07 AM »
I recently talked to a guy that had access to a CNC machine etc. that had bought just a billet of the correct aluminium and he compel made his own, using a friends lower as a pattern.

You should tell him about this site www.cncguns.com they have 3D CAD models for all sorts of lower recievers and alot of other firearm related stuff.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 11:45:21 AM »

Here are the results the guy got using just a drill press and some finishing touches with a dremel

That's impressive.  How do you thread the receiver extension area?  That would be a big, expensive tap.

Offline metaldoc

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 12:52:32 PM »
Zero percent castings are also available for about $25.  Then you do all the machining.  A mill helps but is not absolutely necessary.  I've done zero percenters on my manual mill.  Nothing like the satisfaction of doing it yourself AND no  paperwork.

Check out this site if you're interested in building your own firearms.  These guys build a variety of guns and have some impressive results.  You'll have to register but it's worth it.  There is a lot of valuable information to be gleaned there.

http://www.weaponsguild.com/forum/index.php

Offline metaldoc

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 12:54:06 PM »
That's impressive.  How do you thread the receiver extension area?  That would be a big, expensive tap.

Not as bad as you think... about $50-60 bucks.   Many of the 80% lowers now come with those threads already cut so you don't need the tap.

Offline MattW

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 04:53:03 PM »
receiver extension area

That part comes done hence the 80% receiver part.

This is the part you buy and you cut the rest of the stuff out for the trigger grouping etc, no paperwork required.

Offline xcellr8r

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 08:42:19 PM »

Greetings all. I’m glad to see this post; I’m pretty excited about completing 80% lowers, and hope a lot of fellow Nebraskans are too!
I moved here 2 years ago from San Diego; I had to escape Kalifornia. And of course I’m a gun nut.
I visited the San Diego area last month; and completed my 80% lower at a ‘build party’ on a pair of CNC machines (it turned out great! Unanodized, so I'm going to Ceracote it...). There were about 25 other people that were completing their 80% lowers that day. It’s becoming really popular to build your own gun in Kalifornia.
What I’d like to do is get together with someone who has a CNC machine, who is a fellow AR enthusiast, and set up a program that would facilitate 10 people a day completing the milling on their lowers. In Kalifornia, the going rate for renting the CNC machine to complete your lower is $65. Cash. No names, just usernames. I’ve put a lot of thought into the logistics of the operation, and am even considering renting a space and buying a CNC machine to do it myself. But I’m a perfectionist, and would like to have some expert guidance to be able to turn out a perfect lower from the beginning rather than struggle with the learning curve of the machine and the programming.

Some of the things I’ve learned:
Ares Armor took my money for three 80% lowers in December. I have no idea when I’ll get them. About mid-January, I called them to cancel the order, and was told I would be able to cancel if I wanted, but they were going to be able to fill my order pretty soon. It’s been a month since then…avoid.

Tactical Machining: I’ve had a completed lower on order with them for 2 months. Lousy customer service; you can’t even talk to a person on the phone…avoid.

Elite Tactical: try them for a basic jig and for 80% lowers. I just sent them an email, and haven’t heard back…too soon to tell.

I just ordered two AR-15 complete lowers from Shadow Ops Weaponry…$125 each…but shipment won’t be until July. It'll be July before we know it...

Gunbroker has quite a few 80% lowers ‘in hand’…but expect to pay at least $300 for one.

CNCGuns has a jig that looks really good; I’m seriously considering buying one. This jig is made to be able to use just a drill press to complete a receiver to 100%. I’ll bet it works great; but I bet it’s slow. And it would be great for the ‘do-it-yourselfer’…but I’d like a CNC machine that my kids could use to do their own on too, in a relatively short amount of time (plus those 10 people a day I mentioned earlier…)

Sherline has a full CNC controlled milling machine that’s made in the USA; cost is about $2,600. It looks perfect for this. Anybody want to share on the cost?

EBay has instructional videos and drawings that might be helpful.

Now for the heavy/legal stuff. The ATF says it’s legal for an “unlicensed individual” to make a firearm; copy and paste, then scroll down: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/firearms-technology.html
It states: “Individuals manufacturing sporting-type firearms for their own use need not hold Federal Firearms Licenses (FFLs).”
But it also mentions (referring to the import ban) “nonsporting features were the ability to accept a detachable magazine; folding/telescoping stocks; separate pistol grips; and the ability to accept a bayonet, flash suppressors, bipods, grenade launchers, and night sights.” So if I want to build a “non-sporting” type firearm, is that legal? Or is it legal to build just a sporting-type? Help anybody?

On a good note, if you’re making your own firearm, and you engrave “made in Nebraska” on it, our state legislature has a bill pending that should make you smile. Read Section 4 of LB 602: http://www.legislature.ne.gov/FloorDocs/103/PDF/Intro/LB602.pdf

So in summation: anybody that has an interest in turning 80% lowers into completed lowers (especially if you have a CNC machine!!!), please post or let me know.

Thanks for reading!!!

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2013, 09:02:10 PM »
If someone had the equipment I would be very interested in an 80% group buy and build party,

Offline shovelhead69

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2013, 10:24:20 PM »
Down for a group buy myself!
To accuse a man for the sake of drama is a cowardly timid man's work (Rick)

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2013, 10:34:08 PM »
So in summation: anybody that has an interest in turning 80% lowers into completed lowers (especially if you have a CNC machine!!!), please post or let me know.

HELL YES!

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2013, 10:51:46 PM »

Offline msspatz

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2013, 11:31:17 PM »
Here's a good link for doing your own with a CNC machine.  http://www.pagunblog.com/2011/11/17/cnc-machining-an-ar-15-lower/
ZERO PLANNING ON YOUR PART CONSTITUTES AN EMERGENCY ON MY PART

Offline on the fritz

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2013, 11:45:12 PM »
Put me on the list for a group buy and party build.  :D

Offline Mudnrox

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2013, 11:25:12 AM »
I will go in on a group buy also