< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Reloading questions  (Read 954 times)

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Reloading questions
« on: March 02, 2013, 01:33:27 PM »
Hi guys, I have a couple questions for the experienced loaders here.

First off, when measuring powder, does it matter if the weight is off by a tenth? Accurate weight is time consuming, and I don't mind If it takes longer, just curious.

Next, the Hornady Manual recommends a .312 bullet for the 7.65 Argentine/Belgian Mauser. Will the use of a .308-.311 make a dangerous difference?

And lastly, somehow a .308 seating die will seat the bullets for said Mauser, with only.001-.002 variance in COAL. Big problem or not?

Thanks much,
Dave
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: Reloading questions
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 01:58:11 PM »
Hi guys, I have a couple questions for the experienced loaders here.

First off, when measuring powder, does it matter if the weight is off by a tenth? Accurate weight is time consuming, and I don't mind If it takes longer, just curious.

Unless you are at or very near max load, the difference only matters if you are loading match rounds.

Next, the Hornady Manual recommends a .312 bullet for the 7.65 Argentine/Belgian Mauser. Will the use of a .308-.311 make a dangerous difference?

A .001 variation is within most bullet manufacturers range of tolerance. 

And lastly, somehow a .308 seating die will seat the bullets for said Mauser, with only.001-.002 variance in COAL. Big problem or not?

As long as you do not exceed COAL you shouldn’t have a problem.  It may decrease accuracy a bit but not that much, unless you are significantly under COAL. 

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 03:03:34 PM »
A .311" bullet would be acceptable, but .308" bullets will probably (likely?) not have sufficient neck tension to maintain COAL in a .308-310" resized neck, and it may tumble in flight due to inconsistent contact with the rifling if the bore is made for .312"

Your other variations in powder weight and COAL are pretty normal and IMHO acceptable for  all but the highest levels of accuracy
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 03:50:52 PM »
Thank you gentlemen, it is appreciated.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 10:56:18 PM »
Cabela's  in LaVista usually has .311" Sierra 150gr soft points on the shelf, and I have seen .311 and .312 bullets from Hornady there as well.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.