< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Lincoln gun amnesty  (Read 5418 times)

Offline PhantomXD

• NFOA Full Member
Lincoln gun amnesty
« on: March 05, 2013, 12:24:38 AM »

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
Re: Lincoln gun amnesty
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 01:15:45 AM »
For anyone not able to drop off guns and ammo on Saturday, any other day of the week is fine at my place. 

Just trying to be of assistance!   :kiss:

Offline PhantomXD

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 01:45:54 AM »
For anyone not able to drop off guns and ammo on Saturday, any other day of the week is fine at my place. 

Just trying to be of assistance!   :kiss:

I'm thinking of we pay cash for guns an ammo signs.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 10:33:24 AM »
I like how the flyer has pictures of Glocks and AR-15/M-16 with grenade launchers.  I wonder if they will get any of those?  ;D

What happens if someone shows up with a legal to own NFA item (unlikely, but possible) and no one there has a Class 3 FFL?  Could one of us buy the gun from the person, and then transport it to the nearest NFA dealer?  I'm guessing that you would be illegally in possession of that NFA item, but DAMN it would be a shame to see them give it to the Po-Po for destruction.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 10:47:40 AM »
i doubt any class 3 show up. im just about potential antiques or rare guns show up.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Z3R0

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 10:51:47 AM »
I wish I was closer to this... I'd love to score some cheapie plinkers but I doubt anything decent shows up.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 11:08:59 AM »
I wish I was closer to this... I'd love to score some cheapie plinkers but I doubt anything decent shows up.

NO! There will be Glocks and AR-15s.  Didn't you see the flier?  :laugh:

Fly

Offline gigabelly

• Steel Benefactor
  • KD0RTI
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 11:14:54 AM »
We should  go out with Ca$h for Guns signs.  Really.  anyone want to try it?
Government is not the solution to our problems, Government is our problem. -Ronald Reagan

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 11:27:08 AM »
We should  go out with Ca$h for Guns signs.  Really.  anyone want to try it?

I am considering it.  I will be in town that day, and I don't think I have anything else going on.  Will have to clear it with the boss, of course.

Fly

Offline Bucket

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 11:48:52 AM »
I see news reports of these things all the time.  I really wonder if they actually have any effect at all (which I doubt) or if they are just a nice feel good event to get the press out.  Who comes up with these things?

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 12:37:07 PM »
Someone came to one of these a month or so ago, and tried to turn in a rare WWII German gun, and the cops running the booth, turned them away, because they knew the value, upwards of $40,000.  They told the people to go sell it to a collector.  That was nice of them.  It was in the news.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 12:37:31 PM »
i would buy parts of guns and ammo.  i'd be very hesitant to buy any guns.  who never know what stolen or illegally modified.  wonder if any ATF agents would do a sting on us buyers?
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2013, 12:59:29 PM »
i would buy parts of guns and ammo.  i'd be very hesitant to buy any guns.  who never know what stolen or illegally modified.  wonder if any ATF agents would do a sting on us buyers?

Maybe one bit of protection we could implement is requiring that the sellers show a driver's license.  We right down their license # and have them sign a bill of sale.  If they don't want to do this, then we could just point the way to the police collection location.  Seems like if they refuse to do that, then maybe they know the gun is illegal, or it is illegal for them to posses it.

Regarding the guns themselves, I wouldn't expect to find anything too valuable, but if someone comes by with a Ruger 10/22 in reasonable condition and they will take $25 for it compared with the $0 the police are paying, then it is a win-win for everyone.

Fly

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2013, 01:04:54 PM »
Maybe do something the weekend before.  Doing it the same time as the police version, could cause some interaction with the police.  One phone call from the mayor, and everybody goes to jail on some obscure charge, and waits for hours to be bailed out.

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2013, 01:09:44 PM »
i doubt any class 3 show up. im just about potential antiques or rare guns show up.

Actually, sawed-off shotguns (and rifles) are turned in at these events pretty often, if the pictures of the take from previous "buyback" events are any indication. These amnesty events are great for people trying to get rid of evidence of a crime.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2013, 01:15:09 PM »
Maybe do something the weekend before.  Doing it the same time as the police version, could cause some interaction with the police.  One phone call from the mayor, and everybody goes to jail on some obscure charge, and waits for hours to be bailed out.

Maybe, but I think the chances of that are slim to none.  They don't want the bad publicity of throwing people in jail while partaking in a legal act just for the sake of lashing out.  These types of things go on quite often across the country, but usually at gun buy-back programs.

Also, it would be best to do this on the same day because the police get to spend all the money on advertising and all we have to do is buy some poster board and write on it "WE BUY GUNS!  Talk to us first".

Fly

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2013, 01:19:05 PM »
Actually, sawed-off shotguns (and rifles) are turned in at these events pretty often, if the pictures of the take from previous "buyback" events are any indication. These amnesty events are great for people trying to get rid of evidence of a crime.

An unknowing person could get themselves in trouble, so buyer beware.  Criminals are often stupid, but if they know they are dumping a gun used in a crime or one that is illegal, then I doubt they would stop to talk to us.  Those people are not looking for money.  They are looking for the "no questions asked" payoff from the police.

Fly

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2013, 02:17:58 PM »
Anyone else seen this yet.

It was on Channel 8 last  night.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2013, 03:34:18 PM »
Someone came to one of these a month or so ago, and tried to turn in a rare WWII German gun, and the cops running the booth, turned them away, because they knew the value, upwards of $40,000.  They told the people to go sell it to a collector.  That was nice of them.  It was in the news.
Actually, in the article I read, the officers went a step further and held in their facility and are helping her find a collector.  Stand up LEOs there.

“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline dkarp

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2013, 04:28:03 PM »
Actually, in the article I read, the officers went a step further and held in their facility and are helping her find a collector.  Stand up LEOs there.

Or are they waiting for the ATF to determine if it is in the NFA registry? It would have had to been registered when it was brought back from the war, or during the '68 amnesty period.