< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Mayor Suttle Looking to Ban "Assault Weapons"  (Read 5691 times)

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
Mayor Suttle Looking to Ban "Assault Weapons"
« on: March 12, 2013, 08:35:45 AM »
Just saw Mayor Suttle's first TV ad this morning.  Of all things, he's focused on an assault weapons ban: http://watchdog.org/74082/exclusive-suttle-ad-targets-assault-weapons-revisits-von-maur/

Suttle believes that an AWB would prevent a mass shooting from ever happening again.  ::)

Offline Rodney Moorhead

• Powder Benefactor
Re: Mayor Suttle Looking to Ban "Assault Weapons"
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 08:40:31 AM »
I don't see how any law would pass the state preemption.  It would be thrown out just like the Omaha MG ban.
...Com on wanre niht scri?an sceadugenga

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 08:44:07 AM »
Lamont we do not have a state premption in Nebraska.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 09:18:03 AM »
Preaching to the choir moment......One thing this boils down to time and again is semantics..... "assault weapon".  Even when the NRA, et al. address this moniker, they (NFOA?) define it as a machine gun i.e. M4, etc.  In MY opinion, even this is wrong and should be challenged.  "Assault weapon" can be a VERY broad definition.  We gun owners hear it all of the time and even use our own comparisons....cars, bottles, knives, hammers, bare hands, etc.  Yet, we still allow the moonbats to argue with their made up definition of guns.  Yes, I am well aware of the history of the term "assault weapon". 
Breaking down the dictionary definitions of both "assault" and "weapon" have NOTHING to do with machine guns or firearms in context  to how the anti 2A folks are using them..  ANYTHING can be used a a weapon and assault with such can be prosecuted as such.  Personally, I don't let the term play a role in my conversations, nor do I fall into the "modern sporting rifle" terminology.  The conversation for me ends when they bring to it made up words/definitions.    My rant for the day... and for what its worth Omaha is a lost cause no matter who the Mayor is .....

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 09:25:51 AM »
Another reason to have a CHP.

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 10:06:03 AM »
Why do these guys want the bad guys better armed than the good guys?
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline lightem up

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 10:16:33 AM »
Yeah I saw it to, "pretty disappointing" I agree I don't see it going anywhere here either, we are a pro gun state, we are red in politics and sports.

Offline tscgg13

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 10:22:45 AM »
Saw that this morning.

What a freaking tool.

Offline lightem up

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 10:22:55 AM »
The ar-15 is not an assault weapon it is a defensive weapon please quote me if I'm wrong.

Offline Bucket

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 11:16:05 AM »
The ar-15 is not an assault weapon it is a defensive weapon please quote me if I'm wrong.
It's black and looks scary.  Many of them have pistol grips and collapsible stocks which make them exceedingly dangerous.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 12:10:30 PM »
Don't forget, Ashford introduced an "assault weapon ban" in the Unicam back in 2008.  (NRA testified neutral in the hearing, btw).
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 12:30:30 PM »

You are not wrong.  The June 7th 2012 DHS requisition order for 2,700 AR-15s was titled "Personal Defense Weapons"
https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=1be5e1d8f3fda9b850cc3ba58393bcd3&tab=core&_cview=1
Personal Defense Weapons Solicitation
Solicitation Number: HSCEMS-12-R-00011
Agency: Department of Homeland Security
Office: Immigration & Customs Enforcement
This announcement is being placed in accordance with the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) paragraph 5.207.  It is a combined synopsis/solicitation for commercial items.  5.56x45mm NATO, select-fire firearm suitable for personal defense.  This announcement constitutes the only solicitation and proposals are being requested.  See attachments for complete details.

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 01:22:50 PM »
(NRA testified neutral in the hearing, btw).

And yet so many people think the NRA is 100% behind us.

Offline jengel2000

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 03:01:02 PM »
You already cannot purchase a handgun in Omaha without registering with the police first thanks to Suttle in his eagerness to please Bloomberg. This makes it prohibitive for out of towners to shop for handguns in Omaha. Thank God Cabela's had the good sense to build in Papillion.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2013, 03:18:32 PM »
You already cannot purchase a handgun in Omaha without registering with the police first thanks to Suttle in his eagerness to please Bloomberg.

This Omaha ordinance was in place long before Suttle became Mayor and if you have a NE CHP you do NOT have to go through the hassle of going to OPD and registering your purchase first.

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2013, 05:10:46 PM »
It's not like Stothert has tried to repeal registration while on the city council. On this issue, I don't think there is much difference between any of them.

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2013, 06:07:43 PM »

It doesn't matter that you are right. What matters is the misinformation works on the sheeple.  Every time some says "assault weapon" to me I politely ask which militaries in the world use an AR?  Never have had an answer yet.  The problem is these jokers get TV time and we don't. 
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline Chris C

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2013, 06:58:34 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/MayorSuttle?fref=ts  For those of you who are on there voice your opinions. 

Offline Bucket

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2013, 07:16:16 PM »
It doesn't matter that you are right. What matters is the misinformation works on the sheeple.  Every time some says "assault weapon" to me I politely ask which militaries in the world use an AR?  Never have had an answer yet.  The problem is these jokers get TV time and we don't. 
This is exactly right.  Truth is almost irrelevant to the issue of "assault weapons."  We had dinner a few weeks ago with some friends.  They are very conservative politically, but are not gun owners.  When we got on the subject of gun control, the wife quite sincerely argued that there was no reason why anyone should have weapons "with that sort of firepower."  She automatically assumed that the weapons the politicians were looking to ban were the same arms used by the military.  (I figured I wouldn't tread on that ground just yet).  You should have seen the confusion on her face when I explained how the weapons being discussed are functionally no different than any other semi-automatic rifle out there today and are in fact less powerful than most of the hunting rifles used every day to hunt deer and elk. 

These people weren't anti-gun, and certainly were very conservative when it comes to issues like individual liberty and freedom.  They were merely ignorant of what the actual issues were.  I'm not sure I brought them around, but I sure made them consider what it was they were hearing.  From the standpoint of a non-gun owner who hasn't thought or learned much about the second amendment, I can see how the propaganda out there can sway your opinion.  If you merely accept the notion that "assault weapons" are more inherently more lethal and promote crime then gun owners do start to look like crazed lunatics when we argue against it.

Beyond supporting organizations like the NRA and NFOA, I don't claim to have a solution, but it was a pretty stark example of what we overcome and how strong the anti-gun message is winning over those who don't necessarily have an interest in the issue. 

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2013, 07:37:08 PM »
Maybe it's time for a new mayor.  Maybe we can elect one  who ban automobiles since so many people are getting killed and injured by them. :laugh: