< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: BOY SCOUTS feeling the pain of the Ammo Shortage.  (Read 5500 times)

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
BOY SCOUTS feeling the pain of the Ammo Shortage.
« on: March 21, 2013, 08:21:11 PM »
You all might have seen the article in the local paper or news site about the Scouts looking for .22 ammo.
I for one can vouch for this. Our council is also afraid what we might not have enough .22LR to make it through summer camps. So, to be honest, fair, trustworthy, etc. I will direct anyone that might have hoarded a little above their means, to contact their local BSA Council. The Mid America Council is based out of Omaha and consists of the NE Nebraska/ W. Iowa area, and the Cornhusker Council is the SE part of the state based in Lincoln (?) I am not familiar with any other Councils with in the state.
 As a member of the Mid America Council Shooting Sports Committee, anyone willing to help out in that regard is more than welcome to contact myself here, through PM or Email.  As I travel between Omaha and Lincoln at least twice weekly I could make arrangements to pick up any donations.
I will get the contact info for the Cornhusker Council and post when I do.

Thanx. 
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 08:51:58 PM by NE Bull »
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline tobydog

• NFOA Full Member
Re: BOY SCOUTS feeling the pain of the Ammo Shortage.
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 08:45:31 PM »
What types of ammo are they looking for? In what quantity's?

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 08:50:09 PM »
My bad. .22LR mostly, I think everyone will be ok with shotshells.
Edited above.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 10:56:45 AM »
Can I just drop it off at the council HQ? I don't have much. In fact I haven't bought any in the last six months. I do however have a Federal value box I can part with.

Offline Bucket

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 12:03:26 PM »
You all might have seen the article in the local paper or news site about the Scouts looking for .22 ammo.
I for one can vouch for this. Our council is also afraid what we might not have enough .22LR to make it through summer camps. So, to be honest, fair, trustworthy, etc. I will direct anyone that might have hoarded a little above their means, to contact their local BSA Council. The Mid America Council is based out of Omaha and consists of the NE Nebraska/ W. Iowa area, and the Cornhusker Council is the SE part of the state based in Lincoln (?) I am not familiar with any other Councils with in the state.
 As a member of the Mid America Council Shooting Sports Committee, anyone willing to help out in that regard is more than welcome to contact myself here, through PM or Email.  As I travel between Omaha and Lincoln at least twice weekly I could make arrangements to pick up any donations.
I will get the contact info for the Cornhusker Council and post when I do.

Thanx. 

Thanks for volunteering to help out like that.  I'm a former asst Scoutmaster and father of an Eagle Scout.  Shooting sports are one of the boys' favorite activities at summer camp.  It would be a tragedy if they had to cut back on that.  Wish I had something to donate.

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 12:14:04 PM »
Can I just drop it off at the council HQ? I don't have much. In fact I haven't bought any in the last six months. I do however have a Federal value box I can part with.
Huskerfan  let me talk to one of the local guys. We might be able to make that work.

Offline UPCrawfish

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 09:16:09 PM »
"Bump" for additional information...........

I am one of the "local guys" that NeBull was talking about in a previous post....   

I am the Mid America Council Shooting Sports Committee Chairman here in Omaha.  I cannot speak for the Cornhusker Council out of Lincoln or the Overland Trails Council out of Grand Island as to their level of ammunition needs but quite a large number of councils across the nation are looking for ammunition.

The councils that budgeted and were able to purchase ammo in the fall are in good shape.  Those that had to wait for budget reasons till after January 1 to order are scrambling for .22 caliber LR ammunition.

If anyone across the state, be they NFOA members or friends and family, wish to help out your local council with a donation of .22 caliber LR ammo, please use the following contact information.

Overland Trails Council - Grand Island. Covers West Central and Western Nebraska serving 6,500 youth and 2,500 adult volunteers.  DAVID PLOND 308-382-3717.

Cornhusker Council - Lincoln. Covers 16 counties in Central and Southeast Nebraska. They serve over 11,000 youth. 402-488-6028

Mid America Council - Omaha. Covers Eastern Nebraska, Western Iowa and SE South Dakota.  We serve over 20,000 youth - 7,000 adults in 58 counties.
Contact Clarissa Conolley in Scouter Services at 402-431-9272...

At the Mid America Council, upon receiving the donated ammunition, the donor will be asked to supply their name and address so that we may send them a letter that acknowledges the items donated.  This would serve as a recognition of a donation to a nonprofit for tax purposes should the donor wish to do so.

During our 6 week summer camp program at Camp Cedars, near Cedar Bluff, NE we serve 600 youth in our Rifle Shooting MB program and 360 youth in our Shotgun Shooting MB program.  Average rifle ammunition consumption for summer camp is 30,000 rds.  For shotgun, the number of rounds is over 22,000.

During the spring and fall months, we do district camping events which will offer both rifle and shotgun shooting sports activities for the Boy Scouts.

Bottom line.....   We burn through a lot of ammunition working with the youth on SAFETY - Knowledge - Skills - Attitude, and instilling in them the interest in shooting sports.  Many of these youth have never held a firearm before summer camp and may never hold one again but they leave with the knowledge of how they work, how to use them, what they can do and how to deal with them safely..

Thank you...........

« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 09:19:58 PM by UPCrawfish »

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 10:05:16 PM »
+1 what UPcrawfish said.

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 10:12:26 PM »
I have a donation bagged and ready for when NE Bull returns to Lincoln.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2013, 10:29:10 PM »
Jeremy, I have a 550 round value pack of Federal 36gr for the Scouts
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 09:43:20 AM »
Seems like this is worthy enough of a cause for an email to be sent to the NFOA membership.

I'll be dropping off a Federal bulk pack sometime this week.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 09:44:07 AM »
Great. I have a 525 federal pack I'll donate. That is actually a 1/3 of my meager stockpile of .22.

On thought I had: Could we organize this through NFOA? We could have one drop off a all ammo donated by NFOA members with a list of each member donating, their address and quantity (so they can get the write-off). Also, that lets NFOA get some pub for helping the scouts.

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 10:58:52 AM »
Farmerrick, others.  I can say we were discussing some things, but I kinda jumped the gun, so to speak  when I saw how desperate some of the units were needing ammo.  as UPcrawfish stated,processes are being put in place to get ammo to where it needs to go. THANK YOU ALL WHO ARE HELPING OUT. 

(And remember  any quantity helps.  If 20 good folks can spare 100rounds, thats a good day of shooting at a camp, I believe.)

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2013, 03:28:08 PM »
Since you are in Lincoln, maybe you can call the LPD. They just had a stupid....i mean successful gun amnesty and collected 10,000 rounds of ammo. Maybe you can get them to let some of the rimfire ammo go to a good cause.

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2013, 03:49:14 PM »
Since you are in Lincoln, maybe you can call the LPD. They just had a stupid....i mean successful gun amnesty and collected 10,000 rounds of ammo. Maybe you can get them to let some of the rimfire ammo go to a good cause.

I like this idea
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2013, 05:59:39 PM »
I like this idea

The same thought had crossed my mind, too.  (Some of the Venturing Scouts programs also shoot handguns, rifles, in other calibers. ) Hm....

Offline Lmbass14

• Powder Benefactor
  • Red Horse - Semper Ducimus
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2013, 06:01:09 PM »
Can we drop off donations to the Scouts at Rods?

Offline UPCrawfish

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2013, 11:07:47 AM »
*BUMP* to top with contact information for Cornhusker Council Shooting Sports..

John Irwin - Camp Director
 402 466 2990
 402 525 9693

You can also reach him at the Scout Office
 402 488 6020  Wait for the operator

The article in the LJS came from Jerad Reimers
 402-488-6020 X208
 He would also be in the loop.

Offline UPCrawfish

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2013, 11:10:30 AM »
Can we drop off donations to the Scouts at Rods?

Lmbass14,  If that is OK with Rod being a collection point, I would be glad to go by and pickup as needed.  Just leave him your contact information if you would like a donation letter.  Thanks,  Don

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2013, 01:18:18 PM »
I'd be happy to be a collection point.