< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: ACS American Community Survey  (Read 601 times)

Offline m0par

• NFOA Full Member
ACS American Community Survey
« on: March 26, 2013, 10:45:54 AM »
I just got a letter from Dept of Commerce saying that I will be receiving the ACS shortly.

I'm thinking I will not be answering many of the questions.

Has anyone here not answered any/all of the questions?

How long did the census people bother you?

Just kinda wondering what I'm in for, if anyone has experience with the regional census workers.
"Where the people fear the government you have tyranny. Where the government fears the people you have liberty."--John Basil Barnhill

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
Re: ACS American Community Survey
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 11:24:26 AM »
From the website:
What is the American Community Survey?
The American Community Survey (ACS) is an ongoing survey that provides data every year -- giving communities the current information they need to plan investments and services. Information from the survey generates data that help determine how more than $400 billion in federal and state funds are distributed each year.

To help communities, state governments, and federal programs, we ask about:

race
family and relationships
income and benefits
health insurance
education
veteran status
disabilities
where you work and how you get there
where you live and how much you pay for some essentials

All this detail is combined into statistics that are used to help decide everything from school lunch programs to new hospitals.
They don't need to ask about Social Security because they already have that info.  And, they also have info on veterans as well.  They also have your IRS data which contains how much you make and what you did to make it, and where you lived when you filed.

Translation:  it is used to decide WHO gets government handouts in the future.  Not specific individuals, but groups and areas.  It gives those who are not citizens a chance to get in on  the gravy train.