< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: I sure didnt see this one coming - Fingerprints required to buy ammo in CT  (Read 818 times)

Offline 66bigblock

• Lead Benefactor
  • When SHTF, which side of the Fan will you be on?
HARTFORD, Conn. — Connecticut lawmakers announced a deal Monday on what they called some of the toughest gun laws in the country that were proposed after the December mass shooting in the state, including a ban on new high-capacity ammunition magazines like the ones used in the massacre that left 20 children and six educators dead.

A new state-issued eligibility certificate would also be needed to purchase any rifle, shotgun or ammunition under the legislation. To get the certificate, a buyer would need to be fingerprinted, take a firearms training course and undergo a national criminal background check and involuntary commitment or voluntary admission check.

full story in LJS here:

http://journalstar.com/news/national/connecticut-reaches-deal-on-tough-gun-laws-after-newtown/article_3c441584-2728-58b7-962f-f4b6e793aef7.html

A state issued license requiring your fingerprints to buy ammo???  I figured CT would pass some magazine and rifle legislation, but needing a license to buy ammo is one I never expected. 

You think it takes a long time to get a CCW permit in Nebraska, how long do you think it will take to get your CT ammo buying permit???  Oh yeah, you got to take a firearms training class also.  I dont think I even want to know what an involuntary commitment is...

All I can say is wow.  Just freakin wow...

66bigblock
I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.  I carry a lot of ammo because I cant run very fast.

Offline Bucket

• NFOA Full Member
HARTFORD, Conn. — Connecticut lawmakers announced a deal Monday on what they called some of the toughest gun laws in the country that were proposed after the December mass shooting in the state, including a ban on new high-capacity ammunition magazines like the ones used in the massacre that left 20 children and six educators dead.

A new state-issued eligibility certificate would also be needed to purchase any rifle, shotgun or ammunition under the legislation. To get the certificate, a buyer would need to be fingerprinted, take a firearms training course and undergo a national criminal background check and involuntary commitment or voluntary admission check.

full story in LJS here:

http://journalstar.com/news/national/connecticut-reaches-deal-on-tough-gun-laws-after-newtown/article_3c441584-2728-58b7-962f-f4b6e793aef7.html

A state issued license requiring your fingerprints to buy ammo???  I figured CT would pass some magazine and rifle legislation, but needing a license to buy ammo is one I never expected. 

You think it takes a long time to get a CCW permit in Nebraska, how long do you think it will take to get your CT ammo buying permit???  Oh yeah, you got to take a firearms training class also.  I dont think I even want to know what an involuntary commitment is...

All I can say is wow.  Just freakin wow...

66bigblock

I'm assuming the "involuntary commitment check" is a check to make sure the applicant hasn't been involuntarily committed to any type of mental health facility or program prior to issuing them the permit.  Of all the BS new laws being proposed around the country, this is one that may actually have some merit. 

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
To get the certificate, a buyer would need to be fingerprinted, take a firearms training course and undergo a national criminal background check and involuntary commitment or voluntary admission check.

Except for the commitment checks we who  hold CCW permits had to jump through the same hoops.

But,  considering the  laws on doctor-patient privilege just how do they legally peek into  that cubby box?  And, if it is psychiatrists today then it can be lawyers tomorrow.  Slippery slope, camel's nose, etc...