< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Grand Island Appleseed September 5th and 6th  (Read 4089 times)

Offline Mikee Loxxer

• NFOA Full Member
Grand Island Appleseed September 5th and 6th
« on: July 12, 2009, 10:27:16 AM »
The Appleseed Program is designed to take you from being a simple rifle owner to being a true rifleman. All throughout American history, the rifleman has been defined as a marksman capable of hitting a man-sized target from 500 yards away ? no ifs, ands or buts about it. This 500-yard range is traditionally known as "the rifleman's quarter-mile;" a rifleman can hit just about any target he can see. This skill was particulary evident in the birth of our country, and was the difference in winning the Revolutionary War.

An Appleseed event has been scheduled for September 5th and 6th in Grand Island. The following has been posted at appleseedinfo.org

Range: Heartland Public Shooting Park

Address: Grand Island, NE

When: Sept. 5-6, 2009

Range Fee: $10 per person/weekend.

Camping available: Primitive camping available on site. 9 spots only. $5 per night
                  Grand Island KOA, www.KOA.com, 402-886-2249
                  Hastings Campground, www.hastingscampground.com, 402-462-5261
                   Other camping at State Rec Areas

Hotels: Holiday Inn Express, 7838 US Hwy 281, Grand Island, NE. 308-384-5006
              Days Inn, 2620 N Diers Ave, Grand Island, NE. 800-325-2525
              Super 8 Motel, 2603 S Locust, Grand Island, NE. 308-384-4380
               There are many other motels in the area also.

Directions: From the I80, Grand Island exit take Hwy 281 north about 6.7 miles to Hwy 30. Turn westbound and go about 3.2 miles to W Husker Hwy. Turn west and go about 2 miles to the main entrance.
                     From I80 Alda exit take spur 40C north about 5.5 miles to Hwy 30. Turn eastbound and go about 2.8 miles to W Husker Hwy. Turn westbound and go about 2 miles to main entrance. Watch for signs.

GPS:  40*53?16.14?N
           98*28?11072?W

State Laws to be aware of: Check state laws.

Misc: This is primarily a 25 meter shoot on two ranges. Each will hold 12-13 attendees. With a limit of 26, preregistration is very strongly encouraged.  Camping on site is presumed to be first come, first served. Plan accordingly. Also plenty of drinking water, bug spray and sun block highly recommended. Weekend hours of operation are being extended for this event.

For More Information Contact: Dave at appleseed@thebadplace.us

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Grand Island Appleseed September 5th and 6th
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 10:51:20 AM »
Mikee,  I have added this to the NFOA events calendar
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Mikee Loxxer

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 11:10:10 AM »
Thanks for the help Dan!

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 06:16:57 PM »
I and two friends are already registered!

I'll be shooting my .22LR AR. 
NRA Life Member.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 07:44:46 PM »
I'm registering come payday, assuming there are still slots open.  I've been hoping one of these would come to Nebraska.  I'm glad it's a .22 event.  400 rounds of centerfire ammo is expensive these days, even if you roll your own.

Offline Jesse T

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • XD Shooter
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 08:59:18 AM »
I'm confused... the official flyer says 70$ for 2 days (if preregistered) and 250 rounds each for a .22 and a centerfire rifle.

Is this event smaller/different somehow?
N0ZXR

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 08:01:31 PM »
Yeah, I can't tell whether it's .22 only or also includes rimfire.  I think I'm still going to register, and if they also require a centerfire I'll bring my Finn M39.  Cheap to shoot and accurate.

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 10:00:15 PM »
It's either or.  They recommend a rimfire, but you can shoot anything, from what I understand.  We'll be shooting at 25 yards, so there's no need for a .300 Win Mag unless you're sadistic and wealthy.

I think it's ~250 rounds per day.  I'd bring 600 total just to be safe.  Slings are necessary, and I'd also bring elbow pads, a shooting mat, and maybe a chair.
NRA Life Member.

Offline Jesse T

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • XD Shooter
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 11:42:10 AM »
OK I went searching.  It cleared up some answers, here: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=6568.0  at the pdf at the bottom of the page.

"Centerfire or .22 rimfire rifle, or both.
250 rounds of ammunition per day, per rifle."

Also there is a fee for the class:

"Walk-on fees are $80.00 for both days, or $50.00 for one day.
Pre-register, be sure of a place, and save! $70.00 for both days, or $45.00 for one day."
N0ZXR

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 12:01:13 PM »
I just registered, hope to see you guys there.

Now to decide what rifle....I'm thinking my old Marlin 60.  I would go with my 10/22 for the easy mag changes, but I put a bull barrel on it and lost the iron sights.  Unless anyone knows of a good non-permanent way to mount a front sight to a bull barrel?  Then I could add a receiver based peep sight.  That would make for a sweet setup.

Probably going to bring a centerfire rifle also, just for kicks.  Either the M39 or Lee-Enfield.

Anyone have a good place to buy a GI sling?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 12:03:09 PM by bkoenig »

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 07:05:05 PM »
Midway sells cotton M1 and AR-15 GI slings. 
NRA Life Member.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 08:32:48 PM »
If we get a few people off this board registered we should meet for an early morning breakfast beforehand.

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 11:30:53 PM »
So does a .223 rem count as a .22?  ::)

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2009, 08:05:39 PM »
As I understand it, anything from a .22 up to .32 caliber is allowed.  The shooting is done at 25 meters on reduced size targets.

Anyone else sign up yet?

Offline jlficken

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2009, 08:47:21 AM »
Me and my wife will be there with our Liberty Training Rifles that I am building up.  I just have to drill holes for the slings still and we will be ready to rock.  The Tech sights are really nice now we just need to go practice with them.  I would have changed triggers but the stock ones are serviceable and the replacement ones are too rich for my blood. 

Mine is 15+ years old with probably 20K rounds down it and hers is older but we found it LNIB at a pawn shop.  I looked at Wal-Mart but didn't want one of the new ones with the plastic receiver.

I have plenty of 22lr ammo and didn't want to spend $100 on .223 for me and build another AR for her since we just got married and are trying to save money.  It is AWESOME that she gets in for free.

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2009, 08:39:20 AM »
I am signed up.

.223 is fine.
NRA Life Member.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2009, 08:19:18 AM »
Me and my wife will be there with our Liberty Training Rifles that I am building up.  I just have to drill holes for the slings still and we will be ready to rock.  The Tech sights are really nice now we just need to go practice with them.  I would have changed triggers but the stock ones are serviceable and the replacement ones are too rich for my blood.

I'm about done building mine up...got my sling and swivels installed and I'm just waiting for my tech sights to arrive.  I'll be the guy with the funky looking grey and black 10/22.  Looks kind of like battleship camo. ;D  Tech sights makes a slip on bull barrel adaptor for the front sight, so I'll be able to use my heavy barrel.  I like the way my 10/22 balances for offhand shooting a lot more than when it had the lightweight carbine barrel.

I thought about adding a Volquartsen hammer since they're supposed to drop the trigger pull down quite a bit, but I didn't want to spend any more money so I just polished up the stock trigger components.  Here's a good link for DIY trigger work - http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251177.  It helped my trigger quite a bit.  They also have a link on the same site that shows how to stone the engagement surfaces on the hammer, but I'm not brave enough to try it yet.  

I think I'm also going to bring my Finn M39, in case we get to do some longer range shooting.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2009, 07:01:27 PM »
Ok, my tech sights came in today.  I hope to get to the range tomorrow night to try them out, but I think I'm really going to like them.  I'm a big fan of peep sights.  I also put in a Volquartsen extractor, because I lost the stock one while I had it apart for cleaning. >:(

Here's a pic of the semi finished product.  I'd still like to rig up an extended mag release of some kind.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 07:02:22 PM by bkoenig »

Offline jlficken

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2009, 04:11:22 PM »
That's a pretty nice setup there.

Ours are done as well but I wish I would have gotten the swivel set with 2 screws instead of the ones with a screw and a machine bolt w/ nut.  It sucked trying to put that in without taking out too much material.  I only left about 1/4" of wood on the front one but it should be fine.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2009, 06:00:00 PM »
Thanks, it seems to shoot pretty well.  This gun has always been pretty ammo sensitive.  It likes Federal match ammo, but that's a little pricey to burn through 500 rounds.